Do Feminists Know What They Want?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I worked in a workplace which is, system wide, about 65% female administrative staff (it has to do with large nursing faculties in the college system, and their facility with administrative work). However, less than a decade ago, we acquired a female President and over the next few years, the percentage of female administrative staff crept up to in excess of 75%. The change in tenor was noticeable. And not pleasant. "Toxic sorority" might best describe the atmosphere.

None who have come immediately to mind Kimmio. However, there have been some matriarchal societies in world history, ruled by women. That some of them may have been authoritarians is not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Sounds plausible.

Only paucity in time? Rare gaps as ethereal thinking ... may be ephemeral ... the hole ... tis complex and deep! Don't get into it unless your prepared for awful curses in delivery rooms!

I worked in a workplace which is, system wide, about 65% female administrative staff (it has to do with large nursing faculties in the college system, and their facility with administrative work). However, less than a decade ago, we acquired a female President and over the next few years, the percentage of female administrative staff crept up to in excess of 75%. The change in tenor was noticeable. And not pleasant. "Toxic sorority" might best describe the atmosphere.
I’ve experienced that, too. I believe most of that attitude comes from women learning to compete in a man’s world in institutions built by men - because we’ve had to - to have to be seen to be really tough and competitive, to be credible in their careers among men in similar roles (reminds me again of Thatcher...the movie about her portrayed her deliberately shedding any hint of attitude or character that would make her more vulnerable in a male dominated world). Also, toxic work cultures can linger long after whoever started them is gone. And people, men and women, who are more about cooperative and supportive (seen as weaknesses in many workplaces) environments get bowled over in places that have been established as places where self interested competition is rewarded. I’m not convinced that those are better traits for making a better functioning system, or world.

Last edited:
I believe most of that attitude comes from women learning to compete in a man’s world in institutions built by men - to have to be seen to be really tough and competitive, to be credible in their careers among men in similar roles. Also, toxic work cultures can linger long after whoever started them is gone.

So if men are behaving badly you blame men whereas if women are behaving badly you blame men? :confused:

So if men are behaving badly you blame men whereas if women are behaving badly you blame men? :confused:
Women are still responsible for their behaviour. A mean boss is a mean boss. However, most of our institutions and the cultures within, and ideas about what success means and how to attain it, were established by men. And I think women have, for a long time, thought we should fit in and compete in it, rather than change the ethos. We are beginning to make progress on that front...and traditionalist men want to take us back decades, now.

Men have this tendancy to wish to have everything in hand ... so it became ... becomes ya' ...

Alas one has to be all about ... thus the broad-based foundation ... earthy and somewhat of a dirty tric kster ... with a bit of Yiddish!

Many can't see the turn ... tack &? Then yur nailed ... a host never see it coming to to tunnel vision ... Joachim's Cave ... John's fore short ...

There's more to it as verily complex ... life as it is ... not for simple cuts ... Aesculapius ... an old Greek idea if you can cut it ...

Last edited:
Back