Are we still able to debate fairly?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Restorative justice for SOME crimes might empty our jails and stop repeat offenders.

There are some good restorative justice programs in BC. They are very valuable in many instances.

I wonder how we might use restorative justice in our relationships with Indigenous people in general.

I suppose some of that happened in the TRC process. They had listeners who listened without comment as survivors shared their experiences.

We need more listening and less dictating what is or is not "truth". It is up to Indigenous people to make that determination, not philosophers on a board like this.

There are some good restorative justice programs in BC. They are very valuable in many instances.

I wonder how we might use restorative justice in our relationships with Indigenous people in general.

I suppose some of that happened in the TRC process. They had listeners who listened without comment as survivors shared their experiences.

We need more listening and less dictating what is or is not "truth". It is up to Indigenous people to make that determination, not philosophers on a board like this.
On CBC I heard a women who sought restorative justice against her rapist instead of our system. She was fed up with being dragged through our justice system.
She had supervised mediations with her attacker for as long as she needed and he walked free (if I'm recalling right).
But yes, I agree, we should listen.

She had supervised mediations with her attacker for as long as she needed and he walked free (if I'm recalling right).
That one worries me, though, because rapists are often serial offenders. Maybe it helps her but does it help the next victim? Maybe if it was a first offense and a judge decided it was the best course of action but if he re-offends, then all bets need to be off. And if there are multiple offenses, do we ignore the ones who want the rapist locked away/monitored for their protection?

I have mixed feelings about rapists in restorative justice circles. The alleged rapist would have to show genuine remorse and willingness to change their behaviour and attitudes. If the rapist was afraid to face their victim, all the better.

I believe restorative justice circles take those factors into consideration as part of their preparation and assessments.

That one worries me, though, because rapists are often serial offenders. Maybe it helps her but does it help the next victim? Maybe if it was a first offense and a judge decided it was the best course of action but if he re-offends, then all bets need to be off. And if there are multiple offenses, do we ignore the ones who want the rapist locked away/monitored for their protection?
I had the same thoughts about repeating the offense. I think she chose this route for herself because in regular court she felt like she was on trial.
Might work well for petty theft or maybe we're just not doing it right.

Yes it's dangerous, because those who deserve to be heard will find it harder to come forward. I'm sure there are many who have chosen not to, just like many who have been abused because the scrutiny is intense on discounting those who were abused.
The CBC, the Tyee, the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc Chief, Dr. Sarah Beaulieu (the anthropologist who discovered the potential sites) who have all said and spoken aboot these potential sites that Dr
Sarah Beaulieu found

Should they not have mentioned the potential/alleged graves/targets of interest?

Further to the carbon tax debate and my own concerns about pollution I have this to add.

Reduced fossil fuel consumption is likely a good thing, but I am skeptical when carbon credits are only a concession to the climate crisis narrative that seeks to harvest massive government funding without solving problems of substance.

While the rise in atmospheric CO2 may have modest effects both good and bad, I do not equate it with a catastrophe.

I notice that the climate alarmists do not often address the global poisoning problem.

Failure to ban glyphosates and neonicotinoid insecticides reflects the abysmal hypocrisy of the “movement.”

Regenerative agriculture should be the focus of “save the planet” talk.

The idea that we have to act by 2030 or even 2050 to avoid doom is environmental extremism fear-mongering.

This does not mean we do not take action but it has to be measured so we do not destroy our economy and displace millions of people into poverty.

There are more urgent environment problems facing this country and the world such as unsafe drinking water.

If these environmental issues are not fixed now, millions of people wont be around to worry about the climate point of no return.

And as far as I can tell he most destructive human action on the "environment" has always, always, always been WAR - ever since life began on this planet.

I imagine the planet will be just fine with all the humans dead, but there a still lot of us carbon based creatures that will not go quietly into the “good night.”

And in the meantime planting more trees and preserving forests is just what is needed to help clean the air and provide oxygen and habitats for other species.

Planting more trees is a better carbon reducing strategy than having us replacing the forests with (corporate new energy cronyism) windmills in the name of being green but not really green at all.

Another direct benefit of planting trees in urban areas is that it reduces air temperatures.

Which reminds me, today is a day that I have set aside for planting a few more trees in my own yard, so out I go.

Last edited:
Further to the carbon tax debate and my own concerns about pollution I have this to add.

Reduced fossil fuel consumption is likely a good thing, but I am skeptical when carbon credits are only a concession to the climate crisis narrative that seeks to harvest massive government funding without solving problems of substance.

While the rise in atmospheric CO2 may have modest effects both good and bad, I do not equate it with a catastrophe.

I notice that the climate alarmists do not often address the global poisoning problem.

Failure to ban glyphosates and neonicotinoid insecticides reflects the abysmal hypocrisy of the “movement.”

Regenerative agriculture should be the focus of “save the planet” talk.

The idea that we have to act by 2030 or even 2050 to avoid doom is environmental extremism fear-mongering.

This does not mean we do not take action but it has to be measured so we do not destroy our economy and displace millions of people into poverty.

There are more urgent environment problems facing this country and the world such as unsafe drinking water.

If these environmental issues are not fixed now, millions of people wont be around to worry about the climate point of no return.

And as far as I can tell he most destructive human action on the "environment" has always, always, always been WAR - ever since life began on this planet.

I imagine the planet will be just fine with all the humans dead, but there a still lot of us carbon based creatures that will not go quietly into the “good night.”

And in the meantime planting more trees and preserving forests is just what is needed to help clean the air and provide oxygen and habitats for other species.

Planting more trees is a better carbon reducing strategy than having us replacing the forests with (corporate new energy cronyism) windmills in the name of being green but not really green at all.

Another direct benefit of planting trees in urban areas is that it reduces air temperatures.

Which reminds me, today is a day that I have set aside for planting a few more trees in my own yard, so out I go.

You've just given a great endorsement on the many benefits of moving to China.

Do look at a world map sometime. Notice that there is significant human population concentrated in coastal areas. Within decades, with the speed at which the icecaps are melting, a huge increase in sea level is inevitable, even if the average mean temperature doesn't increase by more than a few degrees. This is going to displace millions of people. If you don't personally equate this with a catastrophe, I'll bet my children and grandchildren will.

Also, we talk as if solutions are difficult and hard to find. May I present Project Drawdown? 100 solutions to drawing down the carbon in the atmosphere, 80 of them are real solutions already and the Project prioritizes them by effectiveness and costs them out; 20 are hypothetical (like sea weed eating cows), but scientifically feasible/under development, etc.

There is a hint in these discussions pointing at the character of who MN'ξ is self destructive; critically so! A Xi of denied existential icons ... symbolic?

One should plunge into the quest ... of learning all what inquiries have been denied us ... negative as ANIn is to Ca tonics ... in spirit!

It is an extended story ...

Something like 50% of the coral reefs still alive are threatened with "bleaching", which ultimately kills coral if not reversed. The culprit: higher ocean temperatures. Do you know how much of ocean life depends on coral? They are the nurseries of infant fish, to start with.

Sure, if you don't have a problem with the extinction of homo sapiens, it's not catastrophic. It's a totally personal POV.

Can items of curiosity be fair if mostly duped or improperly dupe*loid? False ettOs ... observe the squeal ...

What do we really know? Have doubt ... there are pigs everywhere ... difficult to manage ... so what's the option? Raise they're head on a stick? Hedonistic ...

Fall to your kneads ... hard bred ... is that base or BA's n the bottom lion? Wildcat opportunities ... all is well clawed or clause 'd ... piecewise statements ...

Last edited:
Back