Yet another Conservative leadership race

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Luce NDs

When leaders associate with extremist ... does that make a statement about hostile and violent intense*idee!

Then there was case of John Dee ... mostly unresolved ... as till we know Beta ... the second breast 've alien Eire?

May resemble Chi Nook ah ... chin hook and the frost departed ... of course we don't know better 'n the melt down ...

ninj

She/Her/They
It was the whole willingness to associate with the convoy crowd, even though it was known to include extremists well beyond the anti-vaxx, anti-mandate crowd, that really soured me on him. The thought of someone electorally beholden to that bunch of creeps sitting in the PMO just makes me cringe.
Hence his dogwhistle promise to make Canada "the freest country in the world".

Mendalla

Metalhead ape rockin' out
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I notice that at no time has he ever outlined what criteria he will use to measure that. Almost seems like he has no actual &%$@#!ing plan at all....
Well, there's the whole nerf the Bank of Canada and appoint a toady to head it (once he deals with the fact that the government is not, in fact, legally allowed to replace the head of the BoC). And relying on crypto, which has been tanking even faster than the buck, to save us from inflation. Say what you will about Harper, but at least the guy has a graduate degree in economics and actually understands how the monetary system works. Poilievre just seems to be picking up some libertarian talking points and spitting them out as policy.

Waterfall

I notice that at no time has he ever outlined what criteria he will use to measure that. Almost seems like he has no actual &%$@#!ing plan at all....
Does he need a plan right now? Doesnt he just need to wait to see what issues are relevant just before the election? Just like he appealed to the issues of his base before the conservative election.

ninj

She/Her/They
I heard he promised to bring in Tony Clement as Finance Minister if he gets voted in.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
I heard he promised to bring in Tony Clement as Finance Minister if he gets voted in.
The guy has a lot of cabinet experience both federally and provincially and is generally pretty sane (fairly right of centre, but sane) but there's one big problem: He didn't run in 2021 so doesn't have a seat anymore. Appointing someone who is not in the House to a key cabinet portfolio would be a serious no-no and seen as trying to avoid scrutiny of that portfolio in the House. Unless Clement is planning a comeback in 2025 (or whenever the next election actually happens). Clement is only a few years older than me so a return would not be out of the question.

chansen

Pleasant Enough
The guy has a lot of cabinet experience both federally and provincially and is generally pretty sane (fairly right of centre, but sane) but there's one big problem: He didn't run in 2021 so doesn't have a seat anymore. Appointing someone who is not in the House to a key cabinet portfolio would be a serious no-no and seen as trying to avoid scrutiny of that portfolio in the House. Unless Clement is planning a comeback in 2025 (or whenever the next election actually happens). Clement is only a few years older than me so a return would not be out of the question.
Last I heard of Tony, he was sending dick pics to women. His place is a stone's throw from my wife's family cottage. I have run into him before. I have got to ask him about PP if I see him this fall.

ninj

She/Her/They
Hopefully fresh in people's minds is that he spent $45.8 on a gazebo in Huntsville and a couple of other small projects in his riding for the G8, which only lasted a few days. His excuse? Messed up "paperwork".

jimkenney12

$45,800 I believe as part of millions of dollars spent in the riding on several tourism related projects. For the time it was a very expensive gazebo. THen there was the $93 million dollar reflecting pool in Toronto. He spent money like it was water on the G8 conference.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
What was the final call on dick pics story? I forget. Was it consensual or did the woman just hush up? Because he actually managed to keep his seat until the next election, just got bounced out of cabinet. So if that's a tempest in a teapot scandal for some reason, maybe he can come back from it.

The spending thing is hardly unique to him. Politicians lavishing money and other rewards on their pet constituencies is business as usual in Canadian politics and I can't really see it being something that the Liberals could use against him. They're as guilty as anyone.

chansen

Pleasant Enough
Hopefully fresh in people's minds is that he spent $45.8 on a gazebo in Huntsville and a couple of other small projects in his riding for the G8, which only lasted a few days. His excuse? Messed up "paperwork".
Hey, our little town got a lovely gazebo out of it. And we got our community hall parking lot paved with unit pavers. And we got a public washroom. That the G8 never even came to our town was not the point. The point was, we benefitted, and you didn't. So there.

chansen

Pleasant Enough
What was the final call on dick pics story? I forget. Was it consensual or did the woman just hush up? Because he actually managed to keep his seat until the next election, just got bounced out of cabinet. So if that's a tempest in a teapot scandal for some reason, maybe he can come back from it.

The spending thing is hardly unique to him. Politicians lavishing money and other rewards on their pet constituencies is business as usual in Canadian politics and I can't really see it being something that the Liberals could use against him. They're as guilty as anyone.
I think he thought it was consensual, and it was in a way, because the woman was trying to get him to do it.

But who does that? I mean, you're a bloody politician. Why make it that easy?

Oh wait, right, he's stupid. He's not a criminal, he's just an idiot.

ninj

She/Her/They
I think he thought it was consensual, and it was in a way, because the woman was trying to get him to do it.

But who does that? I mean, you're a bloody politician. Why make it that easy?

Oh wait, right, he's stupid. He's not a criminal, he's just an idiot.
Was she trying to blackmail him? Can't imagine anyone requesting dick pics from him for any other reason.

chansen

Pleasant Enough
Was she trying to blackmail him? Can't imagine anyone requesting dick pics from him for any other reason.
I think at the least she was politically opposed to him and wanted to embarrass him. It worked.

He's such a moron to fall for that, though.