Yet another Conservative leadership race

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I would contact Health critic and opposition leader next.

Failing to be satisfied with that a letter to the editor charting the frustrating trail of non-answer can light a fire under political rumps.
At this point in time with this particualr government in Alberta it is likely to be spitting into the wind.

So we have a pretty good list of candidates but are not at the deadline yet. Pierre Poilievre and Jean Charest seem to be the frontrunners (see article below about a poll by Angus-Reid). Several of the remainder are a bit fringy (e.g. Roman Baber, who got booted of Ontario's provincial Progressive Conservative caucus for his anti-mandate rhetoric). Leslyn Lewis, who came third when Erin O'Toole became leader in 2020, is back in the running. On the plus side, she's a rare BIPOC Conservative; on the negative side, she's a mouthpiece for the religious right with a strong anti-abortion stance.

There's a few on the "Declined to Run" list that I would have liked to have seen in there, but at least Charest is more of a "Red Tory" who will present a more moderate position on so-con issues than many of the others.

Of course, the NDP-Liberal alliance just announced puts an couple interesting wrinkles in the race. It (a) gives them a nice punching bag to take shots at, which might help party unity by providing a common enemy they can all agree on, and (b) ensures they shouldn't get hit with an early election so the new leader will have some time to get settled in. OTOH, if the NDP-Liberal alliance actually succeeds in getting some of its initiatives through and they prove popular, that might make the next election tougher regardless of who becomes leader.

So we have a pretty good list of candidates but are not at the deadline yet. Pierre Poilievre and Jean Charest seem to be the frontrunners (see article below about a poll by Angus-Reid). Several of the remainder are a bit fringy (e.g. Roman Baber, who got booted of Ontario's provincial Progressive Conservative caucus for his anti-mandate rhetoric). Leslyn Lewis, who came third when Erin O'Toole became leader in 2020, is back in the running. On the plus side, she's a rare BIPOC Conservative; on the negative side, she's a mouthpiece for the religious right with a strong anti-abortion stance.

There's a few on the "Declined to Run" list that I would have liked to have seen in there, but at least Charest is more of a "Red Tory" who will present a more moderate position on so-con issues than many of the others.

Of course, the NDP-Liberal alliance just announced puts an couple interesting wrinkles in the race. It (a) gives them a nice punching bag to take shots at, which might help party unity by providing a common enemy they can all agree on, and (b) ensures they shouldn't get hit with an early election so the new leader will have some time to get settled in. OTOH, if the NDP-Liberal alliance actually succeeds in getting some of its initiatives through and they prove popular, that might make the next election tougher regardless of who becomes leader.
Wrinkles??? Can such thing exist in peaceful domains?

Thus light erupts ...

Some word about decentralizing the banks to cure corruption of scale ... and anyone with power to alter that would do what?

Imagine the banks getting more private and secretive ... yet the alt right wishes to see into our bedrooms ... where many souls rest! Yah Sue what an awakening ...

Fairly cogent analysis of Poilievre by Don Martin at CTV. Given that he seems unlikely to moderate the way Scheer and O'Toole are likely to, can Poilievre actually sell his brand of extreme conservatism to the electorate in provinces like Ontario, Quebec, and BC that have enough seats to deliver a government. For instance, if the Bank of Canada manages to rein in inflation and deliver a soft landing, will his attacks on the central bank have any traction outside of those ideologically opposed to its existence?

It is like searching for lost brains when emotional excesses burned eM all up ... there chi went!

It be gone ... we lost it!

Personally I can't stand this person. I watched some sort of inquiry a while ago where he participated - interesting that I cannot remember what IT was, but I remember HIM very well. He was nothing but an attack dog with a list of questions - no listening to answers, no follow on inquiry to deepen understanding, just moving on the next question on his list. It was pathetic - and all in his nasal voice. I took him to be a junior politician just sticking to the script he'd been given. Sigh. Sorry - not my usual way of viewing a person. Around here we've taken to referring to him as Mr. PP.

Is the salient urge towards avarice ... rather macabre?

For the death of me is forms certain common images ... then would that type understand? Power overcomes the beauty of mind like Boaz & Jack 'in place to give some rise ... Eris?

It is a word ... similar to God is the word ... but the literary value is lost on many! One must understand that God loves in a spectra ... isn't that over the rainbow?

He was nothing but an attack dog with a list of questions
Which actually works to some degree in opposition. But to be leader means presenting yourself as a possible PM ans your party as a possible government and simply attacking doesn't cut it. What little I have heard from him in the way of actual answers has not impressed me.

Hes not done anything that impresses me either, and most of what he does say appeals more to his base. Be interesting to see if he appeals to anyone else.

In all the news we get from political types whether Trump, Putin or other ... what can we believe other than negativism?

Something must counter their madmen positivism! Thus the house divided goes down because it cannot get it together ... thoughts disperse also ...

Darn these leadership races

They keep happening, don't they?
Pernicious things.

Before you know it even Liberals will be doing it

Sheesh :3

Back