WTF

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Reaction score
WTF - It’s the name of comedian turned actor turned comedian, podcaster, keeping it real always, Marc Maron’s Podcast, and has been going for 10 years. He’s interviewed everyone from Robin Williams to Obama and countless others, in his garage - just a typical garage. His girlfriend died a few months ago from a non covid related illness - some sort of undisclosed blood disorder that took her life in hours - and he has been discussing his grieving process at the start of every podcast (to the uninitiated, for context). He’s one of few audio podcast interviewers who hold my attention fairly consistently. It’s like listening to a friend - he creates that vibe. Due to covid measures he’s been doing Skype or FaceTime, but just broadcasting the audio. They’re still the same quality. Here he is interviewing Jim Carrey. I enjoyed it; I suspect the storytelling was 75% true on Jim’s part, and 25% Andy Kauffmanesque myth making, but I enjoyed it regardless:

Here’s the screenshot of him and Jim Carrey. Maron doesn’t generally video record/ video stream his podcasts, this was just audio, and then he tweeted the photo. One of the best, most real, relaxed, down to earth photos I’ve seen of Jim Carrey, too. I like that Carrey is sitting in a very modest non-descript kitchen. Makes me feel better about him. Its more relatable. It’s good to know that there are multimillionaire celebs who can still do that.
It looks almost like, from what little I can see, the little air bnb cottage suite I rented for 2 winters. Though, maybe he’s on “camping” trip.

Last edited:

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
Pretty funny
For a White Dude
(he should have had a more diverse and inclusive audience...he should be ashamed and look for more minorities)

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Jim Carrey grew up normal. I met him when he was only 17, acting in a little comedy club we had in Barrie, where I was a reluctant cocktail waitress.

He comes from a normal family, grew up in Toronto, not rich.

He was a really nice kid, a bit unique in that I never saw him turned "off". He was performing all the time (we interacted at a couple of after-club parties). It wasn't fake; he was just really self-aware.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Jim Carrey grew up normal. I met him when he was only 17, acting in a little comedy club we had in Barrie, where I was a reluctant cocktail waitress.

He comes from a normal family, grew up in Toronto, not rich.

He was a really nice kid, a bit unique in that I never saw him turned "off". He was performing all the time (we interacted at a couple of after-club parties). It wasn't fake; he was just really self-aware.
I was a fan when he was on In Living Colour and his early movies but after a while, his "look at me, I'm over the top" schtick got a bit tired and I left Batman Forever thinking about all the other actors they could have cast as The Riddler other than him. Cool that you got to meet him before he was famous. No one I knew in my youth has become that famous. As I discussed in another thread somewhere, the guy I used to buy games from in Kitchener has received two Hugo nominations for his work as a blogger and book reviewer, and has been named in the acknowledgements of a few novels that he leant ideas or other assistance to. Not Jim Carrey level famous but at least famous in a specific niche.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
I back away from people that intense ... they tend to exhaust me. The only people I had an inclination to meet of that sort were Robin Williams and Jack Nicholson ... although I was aware from reports that either could overwhelm any conversation in short order!

In my careen I was exposed to a few celebrity types that were far more ahhh stable and some that were far from it. I cannot speak of them truthfully so thus the code I use ... if interested ... you must break it in your own behavioural manner!

Some of these experiences were memorable ... and some authorities told me I would never have talked to people like that ... given my minimal reputation in the judges eyes!

Its been a crank ... hyperbolic inclined plane even ... those that have judged me without even encountering the experience of me ... isolationism or autonomous?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to have a relationship with someone that intense. It would be worse than living with a bipolar person; at least you get to 'rest' during the depressed periods.

But to meet them is cool. I know a fairly famous Canadian poet, but that doesn't take much doing, as it is a somewhat narrow field, lol. He, too, is somewhat intense; doesn't sleep much, prodigious quantity and quality of work. He has a really calm relaxed wife.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to have a relationship with someone that intense. It would be worse than living with a bipolar person; at least you get to 'rest' during the depressed periods.

But to meet them is cool. I know a fairly famous Canadian poet, but that doesn't take much doing, as it is a somewhat narrow field, lol. He, too, is somewhat intense; doesn't sleep much, prodigious quantity and quality of work. He has a really calm relaxed wife.
Grandad knew E. J. "Ned" Pratt. I have his signed copy of Brebeuf and his Brethren.

Reaction score
Is there such a condition as unipolar mania - where someone always has stratospheric energy levels and big, often unrealistic but sometimes lucky if they have a particular talent and timely opportunity, ideas?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Is there such a condition as unipolar mania - where someone always has stratospheric energy levels and big, often unrealistic but sometimes lucky if they have a particular talent and timely opportunity, ideas?
Not familiar with any clinical diagnosis that describes that, but I have met people who fit it.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Not familiar with any clinical diagnosis that describes that, but I have met people who fit it.
May lead to chronic burnout at some point in coming timeline ... they never process consequences ... may fit some poles ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And this is where lines get blurred. Who decides what is too much energy? If no-one promoted crazy ideas, some great discoveries would not have been made? How much sleep does every human need?

Luce NDs

Reaction score
And this is where lines get blurred. Who decides what is too much energy? If no-one promoted crazy ideas, some great discoveries would not have been made? How much sleep does every human need?
Sometimes just a glucose/dextrose chaos ... a chiral item of steroidal nature! Some don't reflect ...

Reaction score
What if they're sometimes good ideas but sometimes harmful in their impulsivity? Just like the manic phase of bipolar - there's a spectrum from hypo- mania to mania,and I've witnessed someone on an escalation over days or weeks from one to the other (sometimes initially missed) - followed by a big crash. What about that without the depressive crash? Maybe they level out to a more balanced phase, but don't sink lower. What's that called? It does exist.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I don't know. Jim Carrey might be an example. So might my poet friend, and I once had a very creative, active boss who just needed very little sleep. He just did a ton; grew his own grapes, made his own wine from them, installed his own gardens, including stone pathways, had an immaculate water-front property here, a similarly immaculate place in Florida...

But often, over the long run, they crash and burn. Look at Robin Williams as a huge example of someone who was just so talented, and worked so hard and honestly at recovery.

On the other hand, impulsivity is a separate problem, sometimes. But people have "bad ideas" and run with them and they turn out to be right. It's hard to judge, again, I think.

Reaction score
I don't know. Jim Carrey might be an example. So might my poet friend, and I once had a very creative, active boss who just needed very little sleep. He just did a ton; grew his own grapes, made his own wine from them, installed his own gardens, including stone pathways, had an immaculate water-front property here, a similarly immaculate place in Florida...

But often, over the long run, they crash and burn. Look at Robin Williams as a huge example of someone who was just so talented, and worked so hard and honestly at recovery.

On the other hand, impulsivity is a separate problem, sometimes. But people have "bad ideas" and run with them and they turn out to be right. It's hard to judge, again, I think.
I'm talking about choices that break their family and such. Could be investing the savings chasing gambling wins or as extreme as starting a cult -but something that involves putting everyone close to them at risk?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
The problem comes, as your subsequent post suggests you realize, when the energy level is so high that the ideas simply never happen. They are bouncing from idea to idea faster than they can act on the ideas. It is all well and good to have crazy ideas, but often it is the same, sober person who is able to make that idea a reality.

Reaction score
The problem comes, as your subsequent post suggests you realize, when the energy level is so high that the ideas simply never happen. They are bouncing from idea to idea faster than they can act on the ideas. It is all well and good to have crazy ideas, but often it is the same, sober person who is able to make that idea a reality.
Very true. Lots of half started big ideas and often a lot of money down the drain. Is that sort of ADHD?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Very true. Lots of half started big ideas and often a lot of money down the drain. Is that sort of ADHD?
Not so much. There's a suggestion that ADD/ADHD is actually part of the autism spectrum, but I'm going to suggest that any disease that comprises psychosis is different.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Sadly, my writing can be like that. Ideas zipping through my head but not able to grab on to one and focus on it long enough to get a story done before I'm zipping off to another one.