World leaders we actually respect

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
All too often, the news we hear is about so-called leaders we would rather send on a one way expedition to Mars. Trump, Johnson, Putin, and such. Who are the world leaders we can admire? Who are the ones we wish were our leader?

I submit Jacinda Ardern, leader of the centre-left Labour Party in New Zealand and PM of that country since August 2017. Her handling of first the Christchurch mosque shootings, then the pandemic, has stood out as real leadership. None of "follow the polls" dilly-dallying or obnoxious populism pretending to be leadership that we see in North America any more. And NZ has now rewarded her with the country's first majority since they adopted proportional representation, with Labour provisionally taking 64 of 120 seats in their legislature. Her coalition partners, the Green Party, also increased their share of the vote and she has not ruled out continuing to include them in her government (Another big "wow". A majority government including other parties??)

And, since the Globe has a paywall, here's the CBC story:

Ardern's bio on Wikipedia:

I would happily vote for a party led by her. What current world leaders do you feel worthy of respect and even admiration?

Last edited:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
And how about we keep the Trump fights in the Trump thread. If someone wants to claim they respect him, let them. Offer your alternative instead of picking a fight. And I will expand that further by suggesting that if you disagree with anyone's choice here, be respectful in that disagreement and focus on why you picked your selection over that other one, not on tearing someone else's selection apart.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I have a great deal of respect for Angela Merkel. She's no-nonsense, smart as hell, and appears to be doing a good job under some difficult circumstances.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I have a great deal of respect for Angela Merkel. She's no-nonsense, smart as hell, and appears to be doing a good job under some difficult circumstances.
Yeah, I think when her retirement finally happens (seems to me she is on that track now, isn't she?) Europe is really going to feel her departure, not just Germany.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
What current world leaders do you feel worthy of respect and even admiration?

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ...

A global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist, revered around the world for his pioneering teachings on mindfulness, global ethics and peace.

Martin Luther King, Jr. said of Thich Nhat Hanh:

“I do not personally know of anyone more worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize than this gentle monk from Vietnam.”

In June, 1966, Thich Nhat Hanh presented a peace proposal in Washington urging Americans to stop bombing and offer reconstruction aid free of political or ideological strings. He emphasized that he and his followers favored neither side in the war and wanted only peace.

In response, the South Vietnamese government immediately banned him from returning home.

A trip for peace that was supposed to last a few weeks became forty years in exile.

In his books and teaching, Thich Nhat Hanh has applied Buddhist philosophy and practice to relationships, politics, community, environmentalism, policing, and international affairs. He launched Wake Up, a worldwide movement for young people to train in mindful living, and created an international Applied Ethics program to train teachers to teach mindfulness in schools.

Thich Nhat Hanh has created a worldwide community of more than six hundred monastics and tens of thousands of lay students. Plum Village in France remains the community’s most important monastery and program center, and in the U.S. he has established Deer Park Monastery in Escondido, California; Blue Cliff Monastery in Pine Bush, New York; and Magnolia Grove Monastery in Batesville, Mississippi. Lay students can join more than a thousand practice communities in cities and towns throughout North America and Europe.

Thich Nhat Hanh’s vision of a socially and politically engaged Buddhism has developed into a worldwide movement that inspires Buddhists of all schools who are committed to peace, social justice, and protecting the environment. Nhat Hanh himself has led peace marches, addressed the U.S. Congress, and brought Israelis and Palestinians together to meditate. The year he turned eighty, he delivered an address to UNESCO calling for a reversal of the cycle of violence, war, and global warming.

A treasury of profound writings, a vibrant sangha, and tens of thousands of inspired practitioners will bring his message to future generations.

Above all, as he wrote in The World We Have, “Our own life has to be our message.”

He turned 94 on October 11, 2020

Happy Contination Day Thay – Thank You!​