Why does the United Church of Canada perform Communion?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jobam

Why does the United Church of Canada require/recommend having a communion service at least 4 times a year?

I suggest the verb in your Thread title is wrong. We do not perform Communion, we celebrate it.

Because it is, and always has been, one of the central parts of Christian faith. Some may suggest it is THE central part of Christian worship

I suspect there are relatively few places that only do the 4 times a year thing anymore. Many have moved to monthly. Much of the Christian family celebrates it weekly.

AS with most other aspects of Christian life there are various understandings of what the sacrament means and how best to celebrate it.

Let us perform more discourse and all that off the track investigation ...primarily meant for learning and things passionately put down! --- Erasmus!

I suspect there are relatively few places that only do the 4 times a year thing anymore.

My family church in the eighties was probably around 4-5 regular communion services a church year, but that's not counting special ones like Christmas Eve that weren't part of regular Sunday services.

Around here, I find it is roughly monthly.

And your answer on "why" is spot on.

Why does the United Church of Canada require/recommend having a communion service at least 4 times a year?
I don't think the frequency of celebration of communion is actually recommended by the national church, so I'm curious to know the source of your info. Also curious to know if you're wondering if the celebration should be more frequent or less so?

In my own churches over the years, it was probably 4-6 times/year, including the Xmas & Easter time services.

I don't think the frequency of celebration of communion is actually recommended by the national church, so I'm curious to know the source of your info. Also curious to know if you're wondering if the celebration should be more frequent or less so?

In my own churches over the years, it was probably 4-6 times/year, including the Xmas & Easter time services.
Actually IIRC there was a rule at one time that it be celebrated at least 4 times a year

Actually IIRC there was a rule at one time that it be celebrated at least 4 times a year
HOwever I can not find that in either the 2004 or 2019 Manual on a quick glance (did not check the other 4 I have as PDF). I do remember hearing it though. It may have been as much by prctice and tradition rather than by rule/policy, to judge from what Charlotte Caro says in Eager For Worship (p.59)

Communion is stifled when powerful leaders ... demand: "shut up and listen!" Thus silence is reined in another stage ... the alternate elsewhere!

May cause some purists to break in a cold sweat!

Thanks, everyone so far - if I could change the title I would change it to celebrate...as that is how I have learned to identify with the act of communion.

Now I realize I am going to get lots of different opinions on this but what does Celebrate Communion mean to you? And to be honest, I guess that is my thought behind the question my real question ... Why do we celebrate it?

Thanks, everyone so far - if I could change the title I would change it to celebrate...as that is how I have learned to identify with the act of communion.

Now I realize I am going to get lots of different opinions on this but what does Celebrate Communion mean to you? And to be honest, I guess that is my thought behind the question my real question ... Why do we celebrate it?

Are you open to hearing perspectives from outside the UCCanada?

Other churches have closed ideals ... is this proper spread? They may incarnate in a witches brew of bubbly! --- MacBeth!

I think Chuck (from Chuck Knows Church - United Methodist site in the US - lots of interesting videos) sums up the 'why' reasonably well.

Since it seems the discussion has now been opened up to views outside the UCCanada, here are mine...

Communion should serve for Christ's commemoration. Every Communion proclaims that Jesus has wrought redemption. Communicants should be eager for God's grace, as given in the Communion. Til Jesus returns in glory, Communion is grace's means from him to us.

Communion to me is about what Jesus does for me.

That was very interesting. Is it normal in your church to drink from a shared cup?
Actually no. We either use intinction or teensy weensy little glasses of grape juice - individual servings. For the bread - sometimes it is a big loaf & people will rip off their own piece, or it is cut up into little cubes & served from a tray. For gluten free option - some churches use only gluten free bread (which is more inclusive), some have separate bread on a separate plate, and sometimes I've seen a little container of rice crackers alongside the bread (not a good option IMO).

Actually no. We either use intinction or teensy weensy little glasses of grape juice - individual servings. For the bread - sometimes it is a big loaf & people will rip off their own piece, or it is cut up into little cubes & served from a tray. For gluten free option - some churches use only gluten free bread (which is more inclusive), some have separate bread on a separate plate, and sometimes I've seen a little container of rice crackers alongside the bread (not a good option IMO).
Ya, sharing the cup, I would not be a fan.:sick:

Back