Where Have They Gone Over The Years?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

crazyheart

Rest In Peace: tomorrow,tomorrow
Reaction score
Talking about WonderCafe being sent to the archives makes me post something that I have wondered about for a long time.

Do you know where all the paper that we papered the walls with and creative things we made for worship and workshops

at Conference, Presbytery, Church basements, learning centres and United Church functions.

Were they stored for a while and then thrown out? The United Church, could trace their history from the beginning, I am

sure.

I am not talking about archival things, I am talking about all the work and creativeness we generated.

Any comments

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
Where did it go?
Most ends up in the garbage.
Sometimes pieces will end up in the archives.

I know items from OWC (Ontario's Women's Conference) ended up at the archives as I helped gather the info when we closed it.

Seeler

Reaction score
Many crafts are not meant to be saved forever. Bristol-board fades. Paper yellows and turns brittle. Scotchtape dries out.
Beautiful woven banners hang on the walls for years. Eventually they get so dusty they have to be cleaned - and they fall apart.

Crafts are also made to illustrate or reinforce a theme or lesson. The beautiful multi-media banner made on the theme for last winter's World Day of Prayer got lots of attention and compliments at the time. Next year somebody will make a new one.

Sunday School and VBS children enjoy building their own Biblical landscapes, fishing boats on Galilee, Advent decorations, and posters about feeding the poor. They aren't nearly as interested in the one made on the same topic three years ago (and the kids who made it - teenagers now - are embarrassed by it.

Some things are worthy of the archives and should be preserved. Most are intended to be temporary. Some banners I made with the Sunday School 20 years ago are occasionally repaired and brought out. But we only need so many banners - let the youth of today make them.

Take pictures of some of the best.

And yes - save some special ones as part of your church tradition. The almost-life-sized stable that the men built for a Christmas play 30 years ago still comes out at my previous church every Christmas. People tell stories - "I remember when I played Mary - that was the first year we used a real baby for Jesus - I was so proud." "Remember when the two shepherd's got in a fight and almost knocked it over." "Remember when we used real straw and the minister sneezed all through the service."

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
where does it all go?

we create to create
humanity, compared to the scale of universe is miniscule. i, an individual, am important to myself. as a Canadian, less so. compared to the Species, even less so. but we are also unique among life on Earth so far -- we have the capacity to affect the Earth intentionally.

remember not long ago there was a series of articles and tv specials on what would happen if humanity died off?

they didn't show the entire picture

all of life is going to die on this earth, completely naturally. in somewhere around 500 million to a billion years, the sun will get a mere 10% brighter, and that will lead to all plants dying off. animal life will follow.

unless our descendents can figure out how to stop that COMPLETELY NATURAL PROCESS.

there are other completely natural endings coming. the end of Earth itself. the end of our Sun. the end of universe. that we will try to handle, puzzle over, 'solve'.

and we'll never stop

we are universe become aware of itself, exploring, testing...

laughing

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
I am sure they all ended up in our churches- we just recently had to empty out four churches, attics basements- you can find a lot. One lady has made books and books in which she carefully glued every bulletin ever printed in our congregation. Thank God, the congregation was only 27 years old and not 1000.
Even more interesting the dynamic amongst people when it goes about what to do about all this stuff. People who can't throw things out can drive you into insanity. When cleaning out the Sunday school items, one teacher was seriously considering keeping a broken dolorama toy, because someone might be able to fix it. We found Sunday school book from 1967- now at some point, things might turn into antiques. The cutlery that had United Church of Canada imprinted did not sell very well at the yard sale (I suppose people might think it was stolen).
Te pews were all sold and now improve people's verandas.
II think, purging of stuff should become a yearly ritual in UCC congregations, maybe at the time of Easter fires, to be able to move on with light baggage.

crazyheart

Reaction score
I have never heard of cutlery with United Church of Canada imprinted WOW.

crazyheart

Reaction score
It would be an everlasting craft that another generation will have to dispose of. LOL