What's your garden up to?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Spring is starting to spring again ... so it's time to check in with our WC2 garden crew! What's up? Seeds started? Bulbs blooming yet?

Trying to convince my begonia to return to life.

Spraying my dry-rooted geraniums and watching for life, then I'll pot.

Need to organize seed starters and grow light and seeds.

Right now, my yard looks like the wetlands down in the valley at the end of the street.:rolleyes: We need to divide the irises by the deck. That's the only thing I can think of beyond just spring cleanup.

Almost too early for spring clean up yet! I try to wait til May as there may be creatures overwintering in the garden debris. I was wandering my gardens yesterday - noticed my helebores are shooting up some flower buds :) There's a reason they're called "Lenten Rose". Had a few crocus blooming near the house, lots of other bulbs pushing upward.

What type of iris do you have Mendalla?

Yay for geraniums! I took mine out of their box last week (they were just starting to sprout) & soaked them in a pail of water for 2 days then trimmed & planted them a couple of days ago - so far so good LOL! Not much to look at!

I moved a few seeds out of my aerogarden today into pots; scrubbed the aerogarden & reseeded it with lots of tomatoes & a few flowers. I hung my other plant light, moved a bunch of stuff around in my plant room/office. Then I wondered about the light - so I downloaded Photone - a free plant light app that had good reviews. Figured out how to use it, adjusted my lights & timer ... good to go I hope!

Still having snow patches in the yard- and getting more tonight and tomorrow, then might turn into rain. Was at Costco today and bought fern roots. Always wanted ferns but the yard was too sunny. Now I have a fence, so I am hoping to find some spaces with part shade.

Still having snow patches in the yard- and getting more tonight and tomorrow, then might turn into rain. Was at Costco today and bought fern roots. Always wanted ferns but the yard was too sunny. Now I have a fence, so I am hoping to find some spaces with part shade.
Most ferns also like lots of moisture (you might need to amend your soil) - especially important for the first year after planting while they get established. They'll be beautiful tho!

Most ferns also like lots of moisture (you might need to amend your soil) - especially important for the first year after planting while they get established. They'll be beautiful tho!
I thinkI will plant them on the shady side of the shed underneath eh honeysuckle. The rain from the shed roof will run down there. The pic on the package shows them planted in clay pots- not sure if that’s a good idea? Probably would have to water constantly.

I thinkI will plant them on the shady side of the shed underneath eh honeysuckle. The rain from the shed roof will run down there. The pic on the package shows them planted in clay pots- not sure if that’s a good idea? Probably would have to water constantly.
Does the label say what specific kind of fern they are? They may not overwinter well in a pot in your locale, and yes, might need more water.

Are they fiddlehead ferns for spring treats? I love those.

It doesn’t say on the package, which I find disappointing. I like to look my plants up. I think, I will just give it a try. The asparagus roots I bought at Costco years ago are doing wonderfully, but only after being moved into 3.5 foot deep soil.

Still have an average of about a foot of snow over most of the yard. A strip along the garage is bare. Made an appointment with a garden consultant for a week and a half from now. Have about a metre of snow over rhe hibiscus still. Will bring up the dahlias from the cold room in about two weeks. I will get some radish seed tomorrow and plant it in the strip along the garage. Maybe plant some lettuce.

I hope enough snow will be gone that the consultant will see enough of the yard to provide the guidance I need. I am still learning about gardening in Eastern Ontario.

I hope to have a three sisters garden plot among other things.

I enjoy reading about other peoples' gardens, and seeing their flower photos. Of course, our garden is still buried under snow and will be for some time yet.

Start the sunflower seeds inside, not quite this early. Otherwise, your local chipmunks will enjoy an endless supply of sunflower sprouts, and you will grow no sunflowers. *spoken from bitter experience* What's your hardiness zone? How far are you from which great lake?

North facing snow is still around, six inches to a foot or so in big patches. South facing is pretty clear of snow. Nothing showing any life yet, that I can see, but I haven't been out for a couple of days due to this head cold. There'll be fresh nettle shoots soon for my fry pan.

Our snow is measured in feet rather than inches. Some day, all in good time, the temperature will warm significantly and get the big melt going. Starting seeds inside would demand artificial grow lights that my partner is refusing. Oh well - we both have our 'funny ways' and there is an excellent local nursery.

For gardeners Luke me it makes more sense to buy the starter plants we need then buy seed. We would only want about 2 cherry tomatoes, a yellow tomato, an early red tomato, a couple of bell peppers, a couple of hot peppers, a yellow and a green Zucchini. One exception is acorn and delicata squash. Cucumbers do best when planted as seed. I will plant butternut squash as seed and provide a protective cover while needed. I will plant lettuce and kale as soon as the snow is gone. The snow is about half gone with a little less than a foot left on average and the deepest is less than two feet except where I had piled it over our hibiscus. We should have some bare soil away from the house within two weeks for planting the cold weather plants.

Hellebores are shooting up
Snowdrops are in bloom
Saw tulips up in rock garden
Grape hyacinth leaves are showing in rockery
Lichen are brightening
Coral bells are showing growth
Hens and chickens are coming alive

The snow has melted back about a foot from the big trees. More dried vegetation is appearing as the level of the snow goes down. Patches of grass are appearing around the motorhome, along the side of the driveway, and on the south side of the house. Some of the bushes on the back piece of the lot have buds that are swelling. The remaining snow is mostly firm enough to walk on as the thaw and freeze cycles have turned most of it to ice. The grass is also exposed under the spruce trees and along the north bank of the creek. There is a foot or more of snow over all of our flower beds.

We had another inch of wet snow this morning. Persistent green, except in the most sheltered of areas, is a few weeks away.

Back