What is a "preacher's voice"?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
So, I was just in Jamaica on holiday and a total stranger said something that kind of me has me going "hmmm". The Jamaican gentleman who drove us to the airport when we left said he had a friend who preaches in a church in Atlanta and that I had a "preacher's voice". I thanked him and told him that I had preached, though was not a "pro". Now, people have often praised me for how well I preach and on my voice, but to have a total stranger who has never heard me in a pulpit comment on it was ... odd. A sign? Or just him fishing for a tip (we did tip him)? What does it mean to have a preacher's voice and how would you recognize if you never heard the person preach?

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
What does it mean to have a preacher's voice and how would you recognize if you never heard the person preach?
A pleasant, confident voice that carries well. There are also “ radio” voices.
No squeaky voice, no mumbling, no boring tone. Of course, all of this would also apply to people who read out loud publicly.

mgagnonlv

Reaction score
I would concur with Mrs. Anteater.

Even today, many small parishes don't have microphones, so having a nice voice that carries as well as a good, clear articulation are two important factors to be able to carry one's message in a church with good acoustics for music.

Alas, it's less and less useful today, as we use more and more electronic amplification – often with excess volume – rather than promoting sound architectural design and good elocution.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I would concur with Mrs. Anteater.

Even today, many small parishes don't have microphones, so having a nice voice that carries as well as a good, clear articulation are two important factors to be able to carry one's message in a church with good acoustics for music.

Alas, it's less and less useful today, as we use more and more electronic amplification – often with excess volume – rather than promoting sound architectural design and good elocution.
When I was preaching in the UU fellowship, I did go mike-less at time (I do have the vocal horsepower for it) but not a lot. We had put in a sound system that included support for hearing aids and using the mike was required for that to work.

The problem going forward is going to be that with congregations shrinking, I imagine more and more will be in non-traditional or even rented spaces. They simply won't have much control over the natural acoustics so sound systems will be the norm.

The aforementioned UU fellowship is in a hall originally built for an ethnic/national club so it's more like a school gym than a church save for some decorative touches made by the congregation (e.g. adding a podium with nice panelling and a couple stained glass windows behind it).

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
If you do have a sound system, you are more inclusive of hard-of-hearing members who can use the headsets we provide on request;

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to inherit a rather nice sound board when a long-standing UCCan praise choir, Chaverim, petered out after many years. Ours was the last church they practised in, so...

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to inherit a rather nice sound board when a long-standing UCCan praise choir, Chaverim, petered out after many years. Ours was the last church they practised in, so...
Lucky. We had to buy ours. It was a nice addition, though. Finally got head mikes for speakers so we weren't chained to the lectern or waving a hand mike around. I always wanted to be able to move around more easily and that did it.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
We have a head mic, a lapel mic and 4 hand mics, as well as a nice "surround" mic on the lectern, which occasionally gives us feedback grief.