What Does It Mean To Be Created In God's Image?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Waterfall

Reaction score
The written words are, "and God then said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness."

Who is God speaking to when He says this? and what does it mean to be created in the image of God IYO?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Well, I'll put this in my pantheist terms, but it isn't a very Biblical concept, I don't think.

When your "God" is the creative forces that shape existence and we are made up of those forces in the form of matter and energy, then being "in the image of God" is simply another way of saying "we are made of star stuff" as Carl Sagan used to put it. The matter and energy that make us up are, below a certain level, indistinguishable from those making up any other part of the universe. Seen at that level, we look like the rest of the universe, ie. are in the image of "God". Probably doesn't satisfy those of a more traditional theistic bent, but it is what it means to me.

revjohn

Reaction score
Waterfall said:
Who is God speaking to when He says this?

Well, it could be God talking to God's self in the Royal "We" if you aren't Trinitarian or, if you are Trinitarian it is God the Father speaking to God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Waterfall

Reaction score
Our bodies die, we are visible, we mess up, we sin, and we can be good. Does God's image include all these sides?

revjohn

Reaction score
Waterfall said:
and what does it mean to be created in the image of God IYO?
It means, on some level, that all of humanity reflects the image and likeness of God, that each and every one of us in all the diversity of gender, race, and ability reflects the God who created them and by so doing gives glory to that same God. That each of us, as individuals command inherent worth as images, replicas if you will, of the one, true Godhead.

That we disrespect that image to our own peril.

Waterfall

Reaction score
Well, I'll put this in my pantheist terms, but it isn't a very Biblical concept, I don't think.

When your "God" is the creative forces that shape existence and we are made up of those forces in the form of matter and energy, then being "in the image of God" is simply another way of saying "we are made of star stuff" as Carl Sagan used to put it. The matter and energy that make us up are, below a certain level, indistinguishable from those making up any other part of the universe. Seen at that level, we look like the rest of the universe, ie. are in the image of "God". Probably doesn't satisfy those of a more traditional theistic bent, but it is what it means to me.
Except, I don't see an image that we correspond to with this explanation, but of course that's mixing the biblical with another myth (story).

revjohn

Reaction score
Waterfall said:
Our bodies die, we are visible, we mess up, we sin, and we can be good. Does God's image include all these sides?
Well theologically speaking none are good but God alone.

There is also the matter of the fall which renders the image of God twisted/corrupted. It is an unpopular position to take but it is worthy of consideration. God is just, we seek to be just though we are tempted to confuse vengeance and retribution for justice. God is patient, we seek to be patient but find second chances difficult and rarely consider that Christ raised the bar to 70 X 7 with respect to forgiving others. God is merciful, we seek to be merciful yet struggle with turning the other cheek.

Waterfall

Reaction score
It means, on some level, that all of humanity reflects the image and likeness of God, that each and every one of us in all the diversity of gender, race, and ability reflects the God who created them and by so doing gives glory to that same God. That each of us, as individuals command inherent worth as images, replicas if you will, of the one, true Godhead.

That we disrespect that image to our own peril.
You are including physical attributes, is the physical meant to be part of our created image of God IYO?

revjohn

Reaction score
Waterfall said:
You are including physical attributes, is the physical meant to be part of our created image of God IYO?
The physical is the medium that God used to create the self-portrait. I can do the same in charcoal, pencil, clay, plaster or marble. If I do a good enough job folk would recognize my image though they would never, for a moment think that I, in my original form are charcoal, pencil, clay, plaster or marble.

Waterfall

Reaction score
Well theologically speaking none are good but God alone.

There is also the matter of the fall which renders the image of God twisted/corrupted. It is an unpopular position to take but it is worthy of consideration. God is just, we seek to be just though we are tempted to confuse vengeance and retribution for justice. God is patient, we seek to be patient but find second chances difficult and rarely consider that Christ raised the bar to 70 X 7 with respect to forgiving others. God is merciful, we seek to be merciful yet struggle with turning the other cheek.
When we start with what we see and know (ourselves), it seems we give God our qualities rather than the other way around. How would you teach someone not to do this, (eg. God is warlike to a general, God is gentle to a monk, etc....) and look deeper, or is there even a deeper mystery to unravel?

Waterfall

Reaction score
The physical is the medium that God used to create the self-portrait. I can do the same in charcoal, pencil, clay, plaster or marble. If I do a good enough job folk would recognize my image though they would never, for a moment think that I, in my original form are charcoal, pencil, clay, plaster or marble.
God must be multi dimensional then.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Except, I don't see an image that we correspond to with this explanation, but of course that's mixing the biblical with another myth (story).
As I said, my understanding isn't necessarily Biblical. Essentially, I am saying that God is the universe and on a fundamental level, we are an image of the greater universe.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
The written words are, "and God then said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness."

Who is God speaking to when He says this? and what does it mean to be created in the image of God IYO?
You expect such an Artiste to do everything itself?
That's what minions and staff are for, m'dear:love:

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score

Deity is speaking to all the other Deities that are human beings etc who, eventually after spending time in Eternity, became Deities and thus were able to create a universe for themselves.
All-in-One, One-in-All

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score

Our Lord is a schizophrenic
Hope He doesn't wake up
"Omg the stars r winking out...false vacuum collapse!!!"

revjohn

Reaction score
Waterfall said:
When we start with what we see and know (ourselves), it seems we give God our qualities rather than the other way around
Bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

Waterfall said:
How would you teach someone not to do this, (eg. God is warlike to a general, God is gentle to a monk, etc....) and look deeper, or is there even a deeper mystery to unravel?
First you try to avoid the stereotypes. God is warlike doesn't translate to God is a General. Some Generals were not as warlike as we might like to think. Romeo Dallaire doesn't come across as blood thirsty and it was an American General turned President who warned clearly of the American Military Industrial Complex. I am mindful that very few of our more recent Presidents have a lot of combat experience or reached very high up the rank ladder during their service and yet, they seem to think that the military is a problem solving mechanism.

Martin Luther was a monk. Not really noted for being gentle.

Of course God cannot be boiled down to just one thing. Christus Paradox right? You Lord are both Lamb and Shepherd.

I think that the principal problem with Humanity created in God's image is that some of us do not look to see how God chooses to reveal God's self in the person across the table from us so much as it is an inability, or worse, a refusal to see God revealed in the person across the table from us.