what are you reading?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I have found a really fun little PI series though the library, have read books 5 and 1, they're detective stories, no worries; apparently, there's 8 now and a pre-quel or two. But it's written by the co-protagonist, the dog. Specfically a 100 lb German Shepherd who failed K9 training, but gets along with his PI, Bernie, just fine.

Chet and Bernie series, by Spencer Quinn. An attempt at the mind of a dog. Quite an entertaining perspective. Uses the word perp a lot, and seems to divide the human world along those lines.
I read a note elsewhere about this series too - I couldn't quite wrap my brain around it being narrated by a dog - but now I think I will give it a try. Thanks Bette.

paradox3

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I read a note elsewhere about this series too - I couldn't quite wrap my brain around it being narrated by a dog - but now I think I will give it a try. Thanks Bette.
There are a few other books (ahem) narrated by dogs.

The Art of Racing in the Rain
A Dog's Journey & its sequels

paradox3

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I have found a really fun little PI series though the library, have read books 5 and 1, they're detective stories, no worries; apparently, there's 8 now and a pre-quel or two. But it's written by the co-protagonist, the dog. Specfically a 100 lb German Shepherd who failed K9 training, but gets along with his PI, Bernie, just fine.

Chet and Bernie series, by Spencer Quinn. An attempt at the mind of a dog. Quite an entertaining perspective. Uses the word perp a lot, and seems to divide the human world along those lines.
Went to the library yesterday to see if I could find any of the books. Picked up 2, 3 and 4. I have put the first one on hold.

I also found one of Spencer Quinn's stand alone dog books. Will let you know how I like it.

Luce NDs

Remember dogs resemble digging processes ... they kick up a lot of dirt while making holes in the system as they augur well ...

Produces places where the dirt in piled in the surrounding ... like Saturn's rings! Imagine spatial excavations ... specious ... without parallel or para Bell?

Like a man of his word ... where truth means something ... and then there is where we're at that it means little ... thus recessive jinns ... deep humus as turned ...

The world of metaphor is well stacked ... for to a' MU's those into it ... sometimes like filial pa stry ...

Spirit Wind 7

Living on the edge
I have just bought, "Suffer The Little Children" by Tamara Starblanket after listening at Amnesty International's meeting.
It is heart rending ans I'll be doing it in a paced read. Heart ripping... more likely. She spoke for over an hour as to how,
and why she researched and wrote this book. My emotions rocketed up & down, often breaking.

I also got a children;s book today, that is, "Slow Down, Tumbleweed!" by Haven Iverson - Illustrated by Rob Sayegh Jr.
On the back it says: "Celebrate Life --- both MOVING FAST and MOVING SLOW"

Lots of reading.

SW 7

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I have just bought, "Suffer The Little Children" by Tamara Starblanket after listening at Amnesty International's meeting.
It is heart rending ans I'll be doing it in a paced read. Heart ripping... more likely. She spoke for over an hour as to how,
and why she researched and wrote this book. My emotions rocketed up & down, often breaking.

I also got a children;s book today, that is, "Slow Down, Tumbleweed!" by Haven Iverson - Illustrated by Rob Sayegh Jr.
On the back it says: "Celebrate Life --- both MOVING FAST and MOVING SLOW"

Lots of reading.

SW 7
That sounds like a challenging read Spirit Wind 7. Sometimes I want to engage with those challenging books, other times I just want something more escapist. For that I've been reading my way through the Birder Murder series by Steve Burrows. Great mysteries, interesting characters, and relates to my new-found birding interest too. The first three were enjoyable & I just reserved the 4th - A Shimmer of Hummingbirds - at the public library today :)

Luce NDs

There is escape and then there is depth ... some say in literalist ... the depth perception escaped them in circular logos!

Thus God tous goes about ... 2 lines of sight required for triangulation ...

paradox3

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Have finished the first four Chet and Bernie books by Spencer Quinn. They are a hoot! The narrator (dog) gets repetitive in his comments but I think it is written to illustrate how Chet lives in the moment.

The mystery story aspect doesn't grab me as much as the dog's view of the world.

Also read a stand alone book by the same author. Found it pretty good, too.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Got a couple things on the go.

First off, I've been catching up on the other entries in the competition I am in (my story is linked in my sig). Some good stuff there, and I posted one of my favorites in WonderArt.

And I am working my way through The All-Consuming World by Cassandra Khaw. At the root, it's a caper story; a tough, gritty tale of a band of notorious queer female (yes, those are important traits) mercenaries reuniting for a last, big score. But it is set in a far future transhuman setting where people can be resurrected as clones of themselves (one of the characters literally escapes a bad situation by killing herself so the group's leader can resurrect her) and powerful AIs, called Minds, are in charge. While Khaw is not strictly a Canadian writer (they are Malaysian in origin), they and their two kitties currently live in Montreal.

Luce NDs

I've been dealing with indoctrination, indigenous and indigents as well as endogenous and endogeneity ... although a mass dews have a clue of what I speak ... thus whetting and sharper edging ...

One must learn about the word as it urns ...

paradox3

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Just finished The Push by new Canadian author Ashley Audrain. It came highly recommended to me as a psychological novel. I found it more of a creepy thriller.

All the same it's a thought provoking read. One of those novels that would be perfect for a book club.