Weird cool SCIENCE! Stuff : The Return

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ninj

I just am
Missed World Toilet Day by a day, but here's a very fascinating history of the toilets in Ancient Rome.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
This looks to be up @ChemGal 's alley.
Beyond my comfort zone. I prefer to avoid really big/really small where many of the physics equations we use really fall apart. I like the range of molecules (although electrons do get considered with lots of chemistry) to planet. Throw in a bit of extra photon stuff and some basic QM, I did reasonable well with the physical side of chemistry/biochemistry when it didn't veer into the very theoretical. I can understand beyond that, but it's a big stretch and I think taking that into a research area would be too frustrating of a challenging level for me. I would also need strong computer skills!

I haven't heard much about the science of sand, but it doesn't surprise me, I did see a few presentations on the science of water.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Ever wonder why orcas are also known as "killer whales"? Well, they are apex predators the size of small cars with human-scale intelligence. They hunt in groups, develop elaborate strategies to trap and kill their prey, and teach their children those strategies. Here are some of the way they hunt.

And if you ever doubted the orca's status as an apex predator, consider this. Most humans are far more frightened of the great white shark than orcas. Orcas prey on great whites. Scientists studying great whites in California have discovered that they will leave the area at the mere presence of an orca.

Folks, you can try all you like to make orcas out to be all sweetness and sunshine, but they are some of the most badass predators on this planet. I am in awe of them and I am sure as hell am glad that they seem to be smart enough to not think we are prey.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
A couple space stories this week, one happy, one sad.

First the sad one. Arceibo Observatory, the world's largest radar (vs. radio) telescope has collapsed following a series of cable breaks. It was built in the 1960s and has been used for a number of important observations and experiments over the years. It is a big loss to astronomy since, unlike radio telescopes that only passively listen for incoming signals, it could send out signals and then listen for them echoing back. This allowed it to do things like measure distance to the moon and nearby planets. It was also used to transmit a coded signal designed to try to contact any aliens who might be listening (no reply as of yet).

A good piece on Arceibo by astronomy and space flight YouTuber Scott Manley.

And then there's the good news. China's Chang'e 5 spacecraft has reached, and landed on, the moon. Next step is to collect samples and send them back to Earth. These will be the first lunar samples to reach Earth since 1978 (or thereabouts). Scott did this video after it launched but before it landed, and it gives a good overview of the mission.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Oh, and Arceibo was something of an icon, showing up in movies and videogames and other popular media.

The one that I recall is the James Bond movie Goldeneye where the climactic fight between Bond and the villain, a rogue 00 agent, takes place in the superstructure over the Arceibo dish.

Luce NDs

And Contact touched upon the site ... albeit with far out plot! Near conspiratorial? For those that believe faithfully that they have it all together ...

Eternal is like that ... a great deal always beyond the limited and mortal!

ninj

I just am
This is all over the news and most of you have likely seen the articles about the "Monolith".

This is the original find.

It disappeared and that was a mystery too, solved later. It's a thing. Two more as of this writing have appeared and one disappeared again. Quite a distraction.
Figure it was an art installation, at least the original one. A creative hoax.

Lot's more articles out there.

Luce NDs

Ungodly mysteries ... sort of like dirt and the relation of uncleanliness in a vast dusty cosmos ... bespattered heavens?

Even the ancient Hebrew held respect for an ideal unknown ... a mystery called God ... and thus the emptying of the void during all the fallout that was precipitated! Knows height? Some are even the heights of satyr ... from the art of raising demos ...

The Conservative leader just did some more of it in the culture conflict ... and still claims to be a unifying force ... very liberalized if you ask me on the corruption of the poles ...

Where do you suppose these leaders get off ... organically speaking ... they may have a cultured enigma! Politicians are puzzling to me ...

The resolution may all be held sacred by a cabal ... a story unto the self!

Did you ever plunge into the story of the self ... said to be also a mystery? There are unlimited metaphors ...

Waterfall

This is all over the news and most of you have likely seen the articles about the "Monolith".

This is the original find.

It disappeared and that was a mystery too, solved later. It's a thing. Two more as of this writing have appeared and one disappeared again. Quite a distraction.
Figure it was an art installation, at least the original one. A creative hoax.

Lot's more articles out there.
I heard there were dumps of ballots inside the Monolith. :ROFLMAO:

Luce NDs

Well I guess we know why Aliens wont ever come to earth if there are any out there.

Explains the docter 'ng of Strange Love ... tis beyond us!

Can you imagine a sector of the enlightened being sad, angry and suffering naivete? No Joey in curiosity ...