Weird cool SCIENCE! Stuff : The Return

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Yes the Russians have to wait now.

I imagine there will be 3 or 4 again. When you can only launch every 2 years and Mars is becoming a hot destination, those windows are going to get mighty busy. Imagine if you could only fly from Toronto to Cancun for two weeks out of the year or something.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I hadn't really been aware of Pangolins. What fascinating creatures!

I first heard of them as a kid but I've always had a bit of a thing for animals. The weirder and rarer the better, too.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
This cool factoid came up in the Environment Canada weather app today. Apparently, gravity is lower than it should be in the region around Hudson's Bay. Now, gravity on Earth is not uniform. Things like the bulge around the equator (I have one of those, too :() and mountain ranges cause mass to be distributed unevenly, leading to variations in gravity (which is based on mass). However, the variance in the Hudson Bay area has not yet been definitively explained. There's a couple hypotheses. Here's a good article on it.

Waterfall

Reaction score
This cool factoid came up in the Environment Canada weather app today. Apparently, gravity is lower than it should be in the region around Hudson's Bay. Now, gravity on Earth is not uniform. Things like the bulge around the equator (I have one of those, too :() and mountain ranges cause mass to be distributed unevenly, leading to variations in gravity (which is based on mass). However, the variance in the Hudson Bay area has not yet been definitively explained. There's a couple hypotheses. Here's a good article on it.

Does that mean the rapture will be in Hudson Bay? ;)

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Does that mean the rapture will be in Hudson Bay? ;)

I am not about to move up there to find out. I'd lose a pound or two due to the lower gravity (but not any grams, weight is dependent on gravity but mass is not) but that's not worth freezing my butt off and hiding from polar bears.

ninj

I just am
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Remember the famous binary sunset in Star Wars : A New Hope? Apparently our solar system might have had a second sun at one point. That's a new hypothesis out from a team at Harvard University. Sounds like it would have been fairly far out so I doubt we would have had a Tatooine style double sunset, though.

They also mention that a new scope going online next year might be able to detect and confirm the hypothesized Planet Nine (or Planet Ten if you're one of those iconoclasts who still count Pluto as a planet).

The scene from Star Wars that I referenced:

ninj

I just am
Reaction score
Arakus has two moons. So watching Star Wars IV and then Dune, you'd get both sunrise and moonrise.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Arakus has two moons. So watching Star Wars IV and then Dune, you'd get both sunrise and moonrise.

Works for me. Arrakis was pretty obviously an inspiration for Tatooine, just as Asimov's Trantor inspired Coruscant in the prequels. Also, I could get behind Denis Villeneuve doing a Star Wars movie.