Weird Cool Science Stuff 2022: More science, more cool

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Interesting, have heard of alpha-gal but in the context of allergies induced after a tic bite. It's a concern not just with food allergies, but some drugs too.

Fusion power is what has provided the energy for life on Earth since the beginning, since it is how the Sun works. You smash two hydrogen atoms together to get a helium atom and some energy. Do it billions of times a second, and you get the Sun (and other stars).

So, perhaps naturally, humans have been trying to replicate that process here on Earth on a controlled basis as a way to generate energy (hydrogen bombs use it but are uncontrolled so can't be used to generate energy). If we could achieve its full potential, it would be cleaner than fission and fossil fuels for generating electricity. However, decades of experimentation still have not produced a fusion reactor that can produce more energy than we have to put into it to achieve "ignition" (i.e. start a fusion chain reaction similar to the fission chain reactions in a current nuclear reactor).

A project in California came a step closer last year, though, based on the papers they have now published in peer-reviewed journals.

There was a time when I was very "hell, yes" about fusion, but I'm less certain now. Given that we are still probably decades away from success here, one wonders if the money being spent might not be better directed to things like more efficient renewables and conservation. After all, solar arrays are using fusion power, just not directly, and are an established, working technology. Fusion is great on paper and would definitely help with climate change, but might not arrive in time and may cost far more than simply using what we already have.
I feel the same way about developing fusion as a power source. Even the scientists who work in the field acknowledge it's not happening in a lifetime. It's an incredibly expensive undertaking and those resources shouldn't be spent in these times on something so ambitious.
I am unpopular for my support (with reservations) for small-scale fission reactors. These are safer and much more useful in conjunction with renewable energy. They also produce much less waste to deal with. Our knowledge about how radiation behaves has increased as well.

I am unpopular for my support (with reservations) for small-scale fission reactors. These are safer and much more useful in conjunction with renewable energy. They also produce much less waste to deal with. Our knowledge about how radiation behaves has increased as well.
Ditto. I can't see how our economy can move completely off fossil fuels without nuclear. There's just too many places that still rely on coal and LNG for electrical generation and until those are replaced with renewables or nuclear, we going to be behind the 8 ball on climate change even with EVs. Renewables are nice until you look at how much land you have to use to get the same amount of power as a single, much smaller nuclear plant. And the small-scale ones take even less space than the CANDUs and similar. I mean, try driving through SW Ontario nowadays and seeing how widespread some of these wind farms are getting. And none of them produces as much power as Pickering or Darlington do in much less space.

If one limits their visions about NU Clear and fresh concerns of pragmatic (all encompassing) nature ... a great deal is mist and nebulous ... thus Freudian attitudes about ephemeral and flighty knowledge without the Soph cider ... gentile?

Every concept needs a bit of given take ... given is ad*oni ... kind 've dau Ide 'n ... semantics? They stack up onus ... culpability for this? It remains a mystery because the hostile type do not wish psyche (sentient) or Sophia (Sapient commonality). I know theological authority that absolutely turn their backs of mental process ... the just follow hard and hostile laws and loss ... as it goes! It is irresolvable in a land that supports not elevated learning ... only high desires ... without clues! Hybrids? Nope not allowed with the specialization that do not allow alloying with the suffix "-ism" as it resembles Bo*ism ... and bois from out there ... like Hoyle and what Ers? Pure chaos ... copies biofilm infections ... specialized receptions ... Agnos? Found in very tiny structures ... mighty con 'd real ... why miss and poor understanding? It strikes bi times ... as a consequence of encouraged naivete ... great effete (some what incapable)?

Last edited:
The problems with fission include reliability cost wise and what to do with old reactors.

There are some obvious solutions but not for those that despise resolutions that require difficult thought ... doing what you wish is easier and puts down more neighbours and neighbourhoods! Where did heavy radiation come from? Down there somewhere as buried in the core ... folks do not believe the earth radiates ... a Hawking Thing, dark and virtually unsung because of what was unknown and obscured by dense powers! It dulls the senses if you are in reality too long ... thus departure for the next assemblage! What's a rye emboli*age? Maybe obliging ... to stay out of sight ...

Regardless of all the safeguards some administrator will cut corners to profit those unseen due to shame of their sense of imbalance in the golden rule ... critical in the Black Body Reflection program ... what goes in has to come out and vice versa ... as scientific and thus piously rejected as thoughts do go ...

The earth remains unbalanced and thus wobbles ... cause wiggles and Riffles in the ether ... a thin space (but imperfect in an impeccable way that causes constant upbraiding). Thus MOG ... etc. no end tu*it as everything cycles ... even Li g*t!

Like'T or not ... or Na mental as salted? Des al try ... but sum of M don't ... hard cases!

This is The Year
That Science Itself Retired

Oh pool girl, bring the phlogistion ennumerator! We have work to do :3

This is The Year
That Science Itself Retired

Oh pool girl, bring the phlogistion ennumerator! We have work to do :3
Where would we be without The Onion and The Babylon Bee to find amusement in the otherwise unamusing.

Where would we be without The Onion and The Babylon Bee to find amusement in the otherwise unamusing.
Yuppers

We need to jokers and fools

Helps break us out of our frames that are easy to be locked into...esp some of the frames that have been created to keep us anxious and afraid...there is more than one frame...that we all can try on...

Or as the Great Hicks said

Yuppers

We need to jokers and fools

Helps break us out of our frames that are easy to be locked into...esp some of the frames that have been created to keep us anxious and afraid...there is more than one frame...that we all can try on...

Or as the Great Hicks said

A train ride with the ultimate gamble ... from there the whole thing could be derailed ... extensive myth! It raels on ...

Not cool science, but a cool Canadian scientist. Dr. Gilles Brassard of University of Montreal is one of four Breakthrough Prize laureates. The prize has the highest monetary value of any science award and the four will be splitting US$3 million. All were honoured for their work on quantum cryptography, using techniques derived from quantum mechanics to better secure data. Brassard has also been a laureate for the Wolf Prize (2018) and all four have been mentioned as possibles for a Nobel.

His co-winners are Charles Bennett and Peter Schor of the US, and David Deutch of the UK.

Cool. Imagine working on this since the '80's. That's task commitment.
I actually was very near UofM today. It's a metro stop.

Quantum physics???? What's the chance that this will go over with those that do not accept any wiggle room ?

Not a wrinkle in space???? Then some fold and ... well you know the rest ...

Check out Jupiter in the south east night sky on Sept 26th, when it will be in opposition (Jupiter and Sun on opposite sides of the earth), and the closest to earth in 59 years.

Check out Jupiter in the south east night sky on Sept 26th, when it will be in opposition (Jupiter and Sun on opposite sides of the earth), and the closest to earth in 59 years.

By Jove a Ceres Aaron out ... clearly! Like cereus fluid ... limpid stuff ... free and clear like some pools taking on character of Lacuna! The be falling of man in the sting ... of loss of the origins an inductees of the thing ... thy's Tory?

Optimally you can't get there from here because of rifts and abyss ... one large 'ole thing! All that's between stuff ... abstract?

Maybe a purple medium ...

If they deflect an asteroid ... will that impact an alternate being? Thus the thing go'd*th ... as if there was no end to the terminal thought ... rapture is something else ... leads to mindlessness ... at least a change of how you see things!

May be a mental warp ...

How many overfolds? Tiers for the drips ...

By Conway! Egads!

Who knew screensavers dont just happen on computers

Here is a Belousov-Zhabotinsky *gezundheit! reaction

Very trippy

All the details are either in the vid or in the vid's description

RIDDLER: What is that pretty smell you are making?
MOCKINGBIRD: Look into this dish!
RIDDLER: I...I am a star in a bad batman movie!!!!

Last edited:
Back