WC2 conversations

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

paradox3

Peanuts Fan
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Recently on a thread, one of our members shared something from a Conversation between the two of us.

Is this appropriate? At my request, the thread was closed yesterday. Today, I Reported this particular post with my query about appropriateness. Since the thread has already been closed, I am not expecting any revisions to be made.

But it is a question in my mind.

Is the lesson to be learned that we should never say anything in a Conversation we don't want repeated?

Where does trust come in? Should we always specify we want the communication kept private?

Just something I am pondering this morning along with my BPoTW thread. What do you think?

Conversations are, by design, intended for individual, interpersonal communications that are not intended for wider consumption. There's not even any provision in the software for admins and mods to see conversations (FYI, if you have a concern about a conversation, you can invite a mod to it or just share the part that is a problem with them via another conversation).

So I would say that sharing information, especially another person's conversation message, in a public post without permission is dicey territory. If it was a phone conversation or a personal email chain, would you share it? Conversations are intended to be on that level.

If we all stopped connecting ... would peace ensue and silence impress? Thus rackets dissipate ... appropriately?

Would things become abstract and inky ... to reflect up on ... mostly the powers look for downers! Dir terra ... materialistic collapse ... the noughts took flight ...

Said to be nothing as a round circa ... almost tuit! Only to be tossed out again ... denial is paranormal ... it just happens due to hostility to alien stuff! If sacred alien stuff may be shortened to holy and this HS! The word reworked ... Ham Mire doubt ...

There is a ringing in the forest ... tele phonce?

Last edited:
I was the person that shared it, and I did it for a reason.

I have found a pattern when people take to conversations in a tone very different from the tone they are presenting in a thread

We have witnessed a lot of back and forth regarding what someone said in a conversation, including references to lies, volume etc

I actually started a thread in our council area a while ago re a concern re usage, tone and escalations in conversations.

Last night I ran a report to see if my gut feeling could be backed by stats.

Conversations are like email. If you don't want to risk it being shared, don't write it

Actually, the equivalent of conversations , chats are often used in legal investigations.

@Mendella, there is a reason emails have the forward function, the bcc and the ability to add people.

Don't put something in email you wouldn't say on public

@Mendella, there is a reason emails have the forward function, the bcc and the ability to add people.

This is the safest course of action for sure. For emails, texting and Conversations here. Especially if the topic is adversarial or controversial.

An additional problem arises if in-person and/ or telephone conversations have also taken place. Reviewing whatever is in written form might be missing key pieces of information. I am not aware of this happening on WC2 but I have seen it in RL.

Are Conversations here generally assumed to be private? I would think so but obviously we can't generalize.

Trust comes into the equation I believe.

We should always be aware that anything we say could be repeated. Someone once told me never to put something in writing that I wouldn't want to see on the front page of the Globe and Mail. :p

But I do think people take email more seriously than, say, a forum post. I often ask permission for forwarding email. Substitute text message, which are harder to pass on, if you prefer.

Here is information that may be useful to see which can add to the conversation:

ran a report (we admins are good for some things)
Conversations are through the roof compared to previously.

There was a spike in the week starting Monday, May 30th, then you can see it going up & up.
Then the last few weeks have since another growth.
It also seems that an increase in messages correlates with a decrease in posts

1682140002845.png

1682140337684.png

Do not put in a conversation to me, that which you would not want made public.

What we don't know is how many of our members share @JayneWonders 's point of view.

I respect the privacy of Conversations myself.

Don't make assumptions about this could be the lesson here.

I've tried to use conversations to try to sort out misunderstandings. It seemed to be a better option than clogging up the main area. That has been both effective and ineffective.

It's interesting @JayneWonders that you mention the increase in conversations lately. I had wondered if that had been happening. I'm not sure exactly why I had that feeling.

What we don't know is how many of our members share @JayneWonders 's point of view.

I respect the privacy of Conversations myself.

Don't make assumptions about this could be the lesson here.

I guess anytime something is in writing we need to be mindful that it could be made public. I respect the privacy of conversations as well. I've asked to be able to make a couple public recently. They stayed private because I wasn't given permission to share.

I guess it really does come down to this:

We should always be aware that anything we say could be repeated. Someone once told me never to put something in writing that I wouldn't want to see on the front page of the Globe and Mail.

There has been a degree of controversy around here lately. I would guess Conversations increase in periods such as this.

Could be people are trying to resolve things privately. Could be perceptions are being checked out confidentially.

Seeking clarification: That is great. better to seek clarification in a conversation than fill up the board. An example: I sought clarity with @jimkenney12 if he was referring to me. I also sought clarificaiton on timeline.

I wish people would seek clarification more often before going on a rant.
Now, reaching out to bully, or escalate an issue with someone else, or talk about someone or feed a fight....Not such a great idea. That's the example that i gave of publicly saying "oh, I am sorry" or "oh, you misunderstood", then doubling down in a conversation.

I actually found myself doing that when I was ticked about a message. I reached out to @Northwind on facebook. I realized that I was doing exactly what I didn't want to do. I was triangulating an issue. Bad form.

Using conversations to be mean or bully or even just bitch at someone. Not such a great idea.

Back