Visiting the original Wondercafe

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
For those who may wish to revisit the old Wondercafe2, the best option is to use the Wayback Machine:

Go to Internet Archive: Wayback Machine and enter www.wondercafe.ca in the box beside the Browse History button and then click Browse History, it will show you what images of WC they have and you can choose how far back to go. So, to see the final day, you would search for the site per above, choose 2014 from the bar at the top showing the years, then find the calendar for June of that year and choose the last entry from that month.

It is not quite complete (does not have user profiles, for instance) but you can at least browse the blogs, forums, and threads.

Last edited:

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I find it really lacks. The search function misses things. I recently tried to find something specific, I could get to the right thread, but I couldn't get to the right page of the thread, one cut off the thread short, and another I could see the last page of the thread, but got an error trying to move to other pages.

I think the easiest threads to find are those where the OP used the keywords feature - and you happen to get the correct keyword.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I suspect a lot of the issues relate to WC running in customized Drupal instead of being a traditional website. Also, the fact that you can't log in to to the archived copy, which may be why user profiles can't be viewed. Alas, Wayback is all we have of old WC now so it have to do.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
that's interesting - the Wayback Machine! I could use one of those in my own brain some days!

chansen

Pleasant Enough
Reaction score
There is another option aside from Wayback Machine. A better option.

http://wondercafe.altervista.org/www.wondercafe.ca/discussion.html

This is a static copy of the original Wondercafe website. It is missing a few threads, and some images, but it is far more complete than what you'll find at Wayback, it is much faster than using Wayback, and you can search quite easily using Google with the following link:

Search

Click above, then replace "SEARCH" in the search bar with the words you're looking for.

Last edited:

chansen

Pleasant Enough
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, Jae, but a lot of us don't feel that way. I consider forum posts to be a record of how people thought and what they wrote to one-another. It's a mini history in a way, and there are a few threads in there in particular that I wanted to preserve. Everything in there has been archived in ways by search engines and places like Wayback Machine, so it's already in the public domain. This just puts it in one central, easily searchable place. We may yet host a slightly more complete version of the old forum using our web space. The whole thing takes up "only" 10% of the storage available to us.

In related news, XenForo has been rock solid. Good on whoever chose it.

Reactions: Jae

Luce NDs

Reaction score
"a record of how people thought and what they wrote to one-another"!

What an alien idea for those that stick to the presence ....

Goes contrary to Charles Dickens deep interpretation of the Christmas Carol, sort of spooky to some characters ....

Jae

Reaction score
"a record of how people thought and what they wrote to one-another"!

What an alien idea for those that stick to the presence ....

Goes contrary to Charles Dickens deep interpretation of the Christmas Carol, sort of spooky to some characters ....
The present is all we need. The past is gone. The future may never be. Live for the now.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Thus people that consider the errors made by past authority amounts to nothing ... thus God as nothing is informal ... formless?

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
The present is all we need. The past is gone. The future may never be. Live for the now.
Indeed, stop following a resurrected once dead Jew folk hero who is also a dove & also the creator of Everything & Absolute Evil (*cue David Warner voice*) and continue to live your life trying for the eventual goal of leaving your world statistically a little better...

unconditional love is risen!

Status
Not open for further replies.