Vancouver Island quakes?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I was chatting with my son this afternoon, and he didn't mention it. I'll ask him if he calls later. We had three games of our RPG this afternoon, chatting much of the time. He was off to help host and eat a holiday meal. He's south of Victoria, though, so doubtful.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
We didn't feel anything. Port Alice and Port Hardy are quite a distance from here though.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
It is always surprising to me when I look into the frequency of earthquakes how very many are occurring daily all around the world. The earth is not silent ... still lots going on! I suppose when the news gets slow, perhaps they go looking for something to spice things up - remind us to be worried. Sorry - sounding a bit cynical there. Preparedness on Vancouver island is a constant thing tho ... could be a significant event in future.

Reaction score
Didn't feel anything. I read the headlines and checked to see if there was any harm or damage etc. No, it was not an alarming event... Then I read something else. Still, everyone knows it "could" happen anytime in the next 50 years, and if it's big enough, or if you're not already in the safest place in that few minutes, there's no preparedness that could prepare one for it anyway. Settlers didn't know they shouldn't have densely populated this coast, but it's way too late now.

Last edited:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Settlers didn't know they shouldn't have densely populated this coast, but it's way too late now.
Which is, of course, us ignoring indigenous wisdom and lore. In the end, it's legends of the indigenous nations of the region that helped scientists confirm when the last one happened and how strong it may have been.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Didn't feel anything. I read the headlines and checked to see if there was any harm or damage etc. No, it was not an alarming event... Then I read something else. Still, everyone knows it "could" happen anytime in the next 50 years, and if it's big enough, or if you're not already in the safest place in that few minutes, there's no preparedness that could prepare one for it anyway. Settlers didn't know they shouldn't have densely populated this coast, but it's way too late now.
I would think that preparation would be a general emergency preparation- have enough food water, cash, flashlights, firstaid kit etc to be prepared for several days of interrupted services, keep your gas tank always at least half full, have your cell phone charged.
Of al the catastrophes , I imagine an earthquake being the most disturbing, as there is no place to go when the earth itself shakes and the feeling of helplessness and not being safe anywhere would be traumatic.