Vaccine passports and the constitution

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
As I said, I didn't know about the app used by businesses. Yes it has a QR code
That's what the issue is here - the iPhone version for businesses to use don't recognize those with a 3rd dose, Anyone can download the app if they want.

With how late AB was to getting this together, it's ridiculous they have issues like this IMO.

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Does the preceding dialogue reflect on certain insecurities in a perfect world?

Many people are determined on how they are impressed ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Ontario hasn't launched its app yet, coming out 22 October. Right now I just have my vaccination certificate (the second one on top) attached as a PDF to an e-mail to myself.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
I have the paper printout of my certificate folded up in my wallet. My phone was too old to handle the province's contact tracing app from a while back. I'm guessing it will also be too old to handle QR app as well.

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
I have the paper printout of my certificate folded up in my wallet. My phone was too old to handle the province's contact tracing app from a while back. I'm guessing it will also be too old to handle QR app as well.
In Alberta effective November 15 only the QR code can be used in budinesses using the Restriction Exemption Program. We do not need a special app to get the QR code, just access to the website where the code can be screen shot and saved to your gallery, or printed out to be shown for the business to scan (the business needs the app or the code will not tell them anything)

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Yes, Chemguy and I downloaded the apps just to 'play'. See what it looks like when a business scans the QR code. I don't plan on keeping the app, I do have a pdf saved on my phone, will probably take a screenshot of just the QR code as that's probably easier.

Chemguy also printed off and laminated the pdf files and made them slightly bigger than my phone *sigh* Not exactly the convenient wallet card I thought he was going to do. They don't recommend shrinking the size when printing for scanning ability, but I think 90% or something will be fine, 25% might not. Some of the other info can be cut off, plus we can do the printing double sided, QR code one side, text on the other. Technically only the QR code is needed but I can see us mixing them up if we do that. I also want it to be a useable paper copy when the QR code isn't sufficient, ie. Another province.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I am curious about Alberta's plan for people from elsewhere. They claim Nov 15 only the QR codes will be accepted as proof of vaccination. BC, ON, etc. codes won't work with Alberta's app (this could change, there is a federal plan apparently). I suspect non QR codes will be accepted for anyone out of province but there's no info posted stating so.

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
Yes, Chemguy and I downloaded the apps just to 'play'. See what it looks like when a business scans the QR code
I did the same, also to ensure that the screenshots I saved and the ones I printed (figuring a hard copy and a digital copy makes for good backups) would scan properly

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
I am curious about Alberta's plan for people from elsewhere. They claim Nov 15 only the QR codes will be accepted as proof of vaccination. BC, ON, etc. codes won't work with Alberta's app (this could change, there is a federal plan apparently). I suspect non QR codes will be accepted for anyone out of province but there's no info posted stating so.
I think the same problem exists in reverse too. SOmetimes Provincial autonomy over National standards is a pain in the process.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I did the same, also to ensure that the screenshots I saved and the ones I printed (figuring a hard copy and a digital copy makes for good backups) would scan properly
Yes, that too, especially with the lamination aspect.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
have yet to test the laminated printout. My partner was trying ot find the laminating sheets we know we have somewhere....
I found the glare to be a slight problem, although not a huge issue. Scanning at a slight angle worked better.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Ontario hasn't launched its app yet, coming out 22 October. Right now I just have my vaccination certificate (the second one on top) attached as a PDF to an e-mail to myself.
Apparently, the app businesses will use to scan the QR codes hit the app stores today. That gives them a week to get ready so I'm thinking it might actually launch on schedule. The question is how long after that until the first breach.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
And we also have to accept alternatives. I know a lot of elderly people without smart phones.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
And we also have to accept alternatives. I know a lot of elderly people without smart phones.
Yeah, I think there will have to continue to be a printed version of some kind, hopefully with a QR code on it that the businesses can scan. I think part of the reason we've seen businesses being lax with checking vaccination documentation is it takes a fair bit of effort to manually. Being able to just scan a code and get a Green box or something in response simplifies things considerably.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I've been to a few "events" recently, a play and a cinema visit. I didn't find it difficult or slow to show a vaccine cert that showed my name, second dose, and the date, plus ID.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Here, I think many get someone to print it off, Chemguy did for me. People can also order a card from the government, get one from a registry office and most pharmacies will print them off too. No info in ON about those services?

Luce NDs

Is it awesome that we in an honest world have to prove something over and over. There was a time it is said that a man's word was like God ... a virtue ... and then something come down ... fallacy? As laid out in legalistic terms is a lie the best way ... thus the parent of prostitution as laid out?

Might serve to make a tome or a novel book ... thus we could bury much ...