TRUDEAU - Some people think......... How do you feel?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
I totally agree that up to a certain point, our and other governments were caught off guard. On one hand, this is a pretty new scenario so why would they not. On the other hand, the threat of a major pandemic has been around for some time. They could have had some plans in place.

I thought Trudeau did okay originally. As time has progressed, I'm not so sure. At the same time, I can't even imagine the mess Scheer would have made. He couldn't even get through an election that should have been easy for him to win. To me Trudeau was the lesser of the evils. Isn't that sad.

I lost a lot of respect for Trudeau when I saw how he responded to Jodi Wilson-Raybould. He was very clearly not an ally and did not like an uppity intelligent brown woman talking back to him. For the record I am not taking sides on this issue, just looking at how he responded to her. He is notoriously unable to take any "feedback" to hold him accountable. He was very inappropriate in the WE issue. Not necessarily illegal or even unethical, just very poor boundaries and a blatant lack of understanding of conflicts of interest. That makes me wonder how he is handling other things.

Trudeau is not an ally and really not a leader. He's gotten where he is with his pretty face, charming nature and powerful name.

Lastpointe

I agree that originally he did well. I was proud of him particularly when compared to Trump and his miraculous disappearing virus monologue

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla-in-law
Part of the problem here is that we got caught off guard. We had a world class pandemic intelligence unit and this government shut it down. In spite of the fact that experts have been warning ever since SARS that something like COVID was only a matter of time.

Lastpointe

Shutting down the pandemic warning committee was a very strange thing to do. I expect it was someone’s idea of budget cutting? I have not heard a reason why Trudeau shut it down

the other very odd choice has been over his five years of power to change the Health Canada make up so that senior beurocrats have replaced scientists at the top. Makes no sense

Lastpointe

Sadly I don’t think he has a vey strong team with him

and I don’t think we can ever know what the other parties might have done or could have done differently. It’s all speculation

Northwind

Is there really much difference between parties? Harper openly cut scientists. Trudeau did it undercover. It amounts to the same thing.

As I've watched both our Canadian elections and the American federal election I've wondered about the articulate politicians. Do we want what we can see or what we think we see? Sure, Trudeau, Obama and Biden are articulate and mannerly. Is that better or worse? Maybe a topic for another discussion.

Northwind

Sadly I don’t think he has a vey strong team with him

I used to think that was one thing that saved him, that he had a team around him. I'm not so sure now. Chrystia Freeland did well when she was negotiating with 45. She seems to be like besotted fan of Trudeau now. I can't help think she is a variation of McConnell. Who knows. Call me cynical

Luce NDs

Thus the Schlitz goes on ... given what we don't know as a belief system ...

"Why would you want to know that?"

I used to think that was one thing that saved him, that he had a team around him. I'm not so sure now. Chrystia Freeland did well when she was negotiating with 45. She seems to be like besotted fan of Trudeau now. I can't help think she is a variation of McConnell. Who knows. Call me cynical
I’ve had mixed feelings about her along. At first I liked her, had high hopes, then not. She’s smart, accomplished, and I respect that and I thought she’d be better given her books criticizing plutocrats (does she negotiate procurement of vaccines because she, or whoever, didn’t do a good job - maybe nobody likes whoever’s procuring them for Canada? I could see people finding her annoying) And...I know it seems superficial, and I got chewed out for this before - but she was making a statement wearing a bold red dress everyday (why? I think it was a subliminal statement), and after awhile all I could see is an arrogant woman in the same red dress, sucking up to Trudeau - she’s all smiles brimming with pride about something everytime the two are pictured together - but I’m not sure really sure what she did, or has done. That may be judgmental, it is...but it’s kind of like Trump‘s too long red tie. Everyday. A bold red tie. ...She wants to be identified by that red dress, and she will be remembered in the minds eye for that even if we can’t remember anything else - we’ll assume she did something because of the red dress (because she doesn’t “have to” wear it, she has money and choices.) It’s about the appearance of boldness and success. It’s a known power colour - not just a Canadian colour. For accomplishing what, exactly, though? I suppose she helped get us through Trump. I think they’re all narcissists though. Almost all known politicians in North America, except Bernie Sanders.

Last edited:

Luce NDs

I’ve had mixed feelings about her along. At first I liked her, had high hopes, then not. She’s smart, accomplished, and I respect that and I thought she’d be better given her books criticizing plutocrats (does she negotiate procurement of vaccines because she, or whoever, didn’t do a good job - maybe nobody likes whoever’s procuring them for Canada? I could see people finding her annoying) And...I know it seems superficial, and I got chewed out for this before - but she was making a statement wearing a bold red dress everyday (why? I think it was a subliminal statement), and after awhile all I could see is an arrogant woman in the same red dress, sucking up to Trudeau - she’s all smiles brimming with pride about something everytime the two are pictured together - but I’m not sure really sure what she did, or has done. That may be judgmental, it is...but it’s kind of like Trump‘s too long red tie. Everyday. A bold red tie. ...She wants to be identified by that red dress, and she will be remembered in the minds eye for that even if we can’t remember anything else - we’ll assume she did something because of the red dress (because she doesn’t “have to” wear it, she has money and choices.) It’s about the appearance of boldness and success. It’s a known power colour - not just a Canadian colour. For accomplishing what, exactly, though? I suppose she helped get us through Trump. I think they’re all narcissists though. Almost all known politicians in North America, except Bernie Sanders.

Could it be the influence of power ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Kimmio, I'm sorry, but it is extraordinarily sexist to comment on a politician's clothing choices. Please don't lower yourself like that.

I think, like many politicians, Ms. Freeland is ambitious, would like to be PM herself, and recognizes that in the current climate, sucking up to Trudeau is the smartest ploy.

Lastpointe

It. Certainly does feel like sucking up , doesn’t it. I hate it when politicians do that

on a strange note, I read in the paper of a Thunderbay Liberal MO who wrote to Trudeau about concerns. That’s not the strange thing

what is strange is he is an emergency room doctor and has been a representative to the WHO. Makes me wonder why he is not the health minister, instead of who we have. She has no medical or public health experience. Seems odd not to use someone with experience

Ritafee

Is Being Human
With the upcoming federal budget, will Freeland stand in the House of Commons to deliver a WEF or a Canadian document?
Has Canada’s Deputy PM and Finance Minister declared her WEF interests and had them cleared by Parliament’s Ethics Commissioner?
Does Freeland receive WEF Trustee fees, expenses, or other benefits from the WEF?
Does Freeland publicly declare what official position she represents when appearing in a meeting where there could be a conflict of interest – such as at the WEF Davos Meetings or policy meetings with foreign politicians?
Does Freeland recuse herself from Cabinet discussions when it is deliberating on matters pertaining to the policy objections of the WEF?

What is stakeholder capitalism?

At the World Economic Forum official launch of it's “great reset” at the end of January 2021 Freeland participated in an “Implementing Stakeholder Capitalism” panel, which aim is to examine “how investors and governments can work together to advance stakeholder capitalism in their region.”

Lastpointe

All valid questions. I think the government needs to clarify what roles she has and who she represents

Kimmio, I'm sorry, but it is extraordinarily sexist to comment on a politician's clothing choices. Please don't lower yourself like that.

I think, like many politicians, Ms. Freeland is ambitious, would like to be PM herself, and recognizes that in the current climate, sucking up to Trudeau is the smartest ploy.
No it's not. You were too quick to assume I had a shallow motive. I wouldn't make petty comments on her clothes for the hell of it, just to pick on her appearance. She's dressed that way in the majority of photos for political reasons. It's why I mentioned Trump's tie (though I would actually make fun of him). It's not about her fashion taste or gender, it's about the political and power symbolism of wearing red everyday. And when it becomes obvious someone, no matter their gender, is giving up democratic principles of the country and sucking up to the boss for their own career purposes, it is bothersome no matter what gender they are. And if a woman is giving up her ethics just to join in on the bad ethics of the boys club that's already entrenched - why is that admirable?

She is on the board for WEF, hanging out with the international Davos set - the politics and optics of that is really bad. It's undemocratic. She's written books criticizing plutocracy - which I found admirable then - and now she is right up on high, helping it. I don't find that admirable. She's not above criticism for her political tactics and choices because she's a woman. Wearing solid red nearly everyday is a power symbol, which is a tactic.

Last edited:
And even if she chooses to wear red to most of her important meetings to symbolize Canada - if she's undermining our democracy in the process, there's not much that's admirable about that either. That's not sexism, nevermind "extraordinarily sexist".

Last edited:
I totally agree that up to a certain point, our and other governments were caught off guard. On one hand, this is a pretty new scenario so why would they not. On the other hand, the threat of a major pandemic has been around for some time. They could have had some plans in place.

I thought Trudeau did okay originally. As time has progressed, I'm not so sure. At the same time, I can't even imagine the mess Scheer would have made. He couldn't even get through an election that should have been easy for him to win. To me Trudeau was the lesser of the evils. Isn't that sad.

I lost a lot of respect for Trudeau when I saw how he responded to Jodi Wilson-Raybould. He was very clearly not an ally and did not like an uppity intelligent brown woman talking back to him. For the record I am not taking sides on this issue, just looking at how he responded to her. He is notoriously unable to take any "feedback" to hold him accountable. He was very inappropriate in the WE issue. Not necessarily illegal or even unethical, just very poor boundaries and a blatant lack of understanding of conflicts of interest. That makes me wonder how he is handling other things.

Trudeau is not an ally and really not a leader. He's gotten where he is with his pretty face, charming nature and powerful name.
Is this sexist @BetteTheRed ? The last sentence in particular? I don't think so. It's a well made point and has become a common point of view about Trudeau over the past six years.