Traditional theology

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

jimkenney12

Pronouns
He/Him/His
I was told that my theology is quite traditional at a recent committee meeting. I suspect many conservative Christians would not recognize me as even being Christian. My preaching often draws on science, especially quantum physics, the only time I use Father is in the Lord's Prayer, I reject the creeds from Mixes, and frequently critique the source of material in the Gospels.

So I wonder what traditional means in progressive congregations.

Hmmm...traditional to whom? Your theology sounds, perhaps, a little to the left of my rev's, maybe a titch to the right of mine (but I'm very close to falling off the edge of Christianity). Now, if we were talking "traditional", I'd suggest Rev John or Rev Steven might fit that "mould" a bit better.

Interestingly enough, we only use the Lord' Prayer about once a month, and only ever other time the "Our Father" version; we use the Jim Cotter one in VU the rest of the time; it's my favorite, although, "In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us" is, I think, an awkward phrase.

To me, "traditional Christian theology" would be Trinitarian with a high Christology. Beyond that, it's kind of relative. I mean, by UU standards, my theology was pretty "traditional" in that I actually had one, even though I was leaning to process-influenced unitarianism with a low Christology. That would probably apply if you were evaluating me relative to Gretta Vosper or other highly "progressive" United Church congregations, too. I guess if someone is closer to that "traditional" definition I gave at the start, then I guess that would make them "more traditional" than someone further away. So a congregation that uses a lens similar to that employed at West Hill is going to see the question of what is traditional/progressive differently than someone in an old school, mainstream congregation singing praise to the "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost".

Last edited:
I would add that those lenses also determine whether one sees "traditional" as a good or bad thing.

I wonder if that comment you rec'd Jim is more related to possibly using a traditional format of worship, more than the theological focus? I wonder this not knowing anything about your worship format though!

I know I have seen this - my (almost former) church boasts of having a 'contemporary' service - but the only difference is that the music is from the Christian rock genre (and painfully not reflective of my own United church beliefs) & they have a small band not a choir - other than that they use the exact same order of service as the 'traditional worship', same sermon preached by the same minister at both services.

Good point, @Carolla. I know that in the UU fellowship, there was resistance to changing the service format from the humanist crowd (which was our "traditional" really). We were making things "too church-y" for them. One complained that we had "too much singing", though I think we really only added 1 hymn over what the old format had been. In the end, it was a simplified Protestant liturgy either way. The main difference from the humanist period was the additional hymn and moving from a lecture + discussion format to a reading + sermon more like you'd find in a mainline Protestant congregation. Simpler, but a visitor from the United Church wouldn't have much trouble following along.

Traditional Eire sometimes adds the pain of learning about creeping cold mole asses as treakle!

Thus the KISS of the blarney as a stone! These too break down and pass as muddied water or turbid flo' ... use great care with the red line! Wander from it gently ... or with the Golem ... at one time in great chaos ... from another perspective anarchy ...then I am considered "out there"!

Don't fret ... it is beyond me too as I know nothing ... the great dark, formless void is evident! Just look up ... cerebral or celestial? Still the occipital region is where the dark is ... occult? The very unknown ...

There are those winners that declare they know it too ... yet how do they get there without destruction of all ... burnt earth policies? Rhode rant ...

Do you wear a robe or a collar @jimkenney12? Maybe it's more about the style of the service.

At the church I was attending here - my congregation is casual. Guitars, folk, rock, popular new worship songs, some with the words changed a little, some written by our own member-musicians, the head minister wears jeans and t-shirts/ plaid shirts. We are independent, progressive but "orthodox" (I don't know exactly what they mean except that the congregation has former evangelicals, and the minister used to be a Baptist pastor - and over the years they've been deconstructing their theology -which has been interesting for me - and learning more mainline as well as emergent theology. We've been getting theology lessons almost like condensed seminary - going back to figures like, Augustine and Catholic saints. Also discussions about faith, science and philosophy. The Nicene Creed maybe, is orthodox.)

We share the building in a mainline/progressive Lutheran Church (lgbt friendly) - and I don't know where the meetings are at, at this juncture, but there was talk about our little community becoming Lutheran. A bishop visited wearing a silk shirt and collar and suit, and he mentioned during a Q&A that he wears his robe and or suit and collar on Sundays depending on the occasion. Some members feel intimidated by the institutional formality.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wear a collar. I wear an alb for Communion. I changed the order of service to the old Methodist format in that I finish with the message. The previous minister was into progressive Christianity. I prefer evolutionary Christianity, perhaps giving Spirit a stronger place than he did

Sometimes I wear a collar. I wear an alb for Communion. I changed the order of service to the old Methodist format in that I finish with the message. The previous minister was into progressive Christianity. I prefer evolutionary Christianity, perhaps giving Spirit a stronger place than he did
I hear you've never lived until you've worn a hair shirt

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

I like your term 'evolutionary Christianity'.

For more on evolutionary Christianity, find material by Bruce Sanguine or Ken Wilbur. I am reading Sanguin's book, "The emerging Church" right now. Even though it is 6 years old, it is very relevant.

I have heard Bruce preach. Terrific speaker and some fascinating ideas.

Yes, he did a DVD study series based on his book "Darwin, Divinity and the Dance of the Cosmos". One of the first eco-themed series we covered; it was very well done.

Yes, he did a DVD study series based on his book "Darwin, Divinity and the Dance of the Cosmos". One of the first eco-themed series we covered; it was very well done.

The Cosmos shimmers like a quantum pasteur (pastor) ... well jumped up! (as my grandfather used to say).

It may be all in Eeyore hed m'n ... ass'n along ...

Back