Tobogganing

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I saw pictures of tobogganing as a kid but never experienced it. We had some hills, but they were paved and used as roads!

My second winter in Canada I was taken tobogganing. "It is SO much fun. No one ever gets hurt because you don't have any distance to fall".

First time down what seemed to be a huge hill, a bump had us flying. Landing cracked my tailbone. Apparently I wasn't tough enough to play like Canadians!

My kids and grands have all done it. The best times were Christmas on our farm as there is a hill right outside and we arranged to get it packed by snowmobiles. Grandparents, four adult kids, three partners, six grandkids. LOTS of laughter!

As a kid, yes. Took my nephews once and I wouldn't even try it with their sleds, husband did and he was a bit sore. Might try with a GT snow racer on not too steep of a hill, only after he does. It tends to reduce some of the jarring.

City where I lived the community man made lakes lead to man made hills. The side facing the lake had no trees. Our community also had a narrower backside, required steering around a few scattered trees. These were ideal teen tobogganing locations, although dangerous there were deaths over the years but we enjoyed going out. Younger kids only went up half way or so, people at the top and parents tried to watch out for each other. The man made lake here does not have such a hill (nor the waterfalls, also dangerous). I suspect due to liability.

Was wondering if they ae still called the same thing, for the most part yes.

These go fast, are safer in some ways and more dangerous in others. Definitely more comfortable on a bumpy hill. My dad tied ropes to ours to make it a bit easier to get up the hill.

1677967122094.png

Was wondering if they ae still called the same thing, for the most part yes.

These go fast, are safer in some ways and more dangerous in others. Definitely more comfortable on a bumpy hill. My dad tied ropes to ours to make it a bit easier to get up the hill.

View attachment 7767
My son had one of those.

Yes I went tobogganing almost everyday that there was snow in Leamington on Seacliff Hill next to Lake Erie....The land is very flat in that area of Ontario so very few hills to choose from.
We also went tobogganing in the summertime on a piece of cardboard or in a box on that same hill...great fun!

Some of the kids from Puce used to toboggan on the embankment for the cloverleafs to the 401

Used cardboard in the summer on the big hill to us about 9 blocks away. No good hills close to us as there were houses below us.

We lived on a hill, so, growing up, tobogganing was a regular pass-time in the winter. We even brought my grade 6 class to our place one time. Where I live now, there is a huge hill not far from us that my kids loved to go sliding on. (It was a long way up for Mom to pull the toboggan though. Thank goodness for crazy carpets). I brought a new friend there with her son one time (a friend from out of town who I had befriended at the soccer field in the summer). She was absolutely shocked at the height of the hill and the danger factor. My kids and I had never thought of it as anything but fun.

Back