THEOLOGY. It literally means: The study, or science, of God. Is this for real? Or is it just a joke?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

RevLindsG King

Rest In Peace
THEOLOGY. My dictionary (World Book) does say it is a science: 1. the Study of God, His nature and attributes and his relations with man and the universe. 2. the study or science of religion, and religious beliefs. 3. a system of religious beliefs.

Whenever comedians get the opportunity to joke about religion, God, theology and the like, they will invariably use lines like the following:

"The BIG problem with thinking of theology as a science is this: It is NOT a science. If it is, how come scientists never write evidence-packed theses about him?

"If believers insist that theology is a science, I can only respond, that it must be a science without a subject, at least not a subject with measurable dimensions, or one who who can be interviewed by the media--perhaps with the Pope by his side--If he were for real he would no doubt be sought after, hounded even, befriended, invited to numerous lunches or dinners by the rich and famous all over the world."

"If I were his manager, I would be sure to see that he was reminded to visit the poor and needy all over the world and not to forget: Do the miracle of the "loaves and fishes" (the feeding of the 5,000) as often as possible!"

ARE YOU, NOW AND THEN PERHAPS, ONE WHO LIKES TO VISIT CHURCHES AS A SERMON TASTER? WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE FOLLOWING SERMON? BTW, THE MINISTER, The Rev. James R. Clubine--of Central United Church, Unionville, ON--INVITES REVIEWS OF HIS SERMONS.
jclubine_sml_couch1.jpg

At this point I will simply say: The sermon, which is wrapped in philosophy, is a very theological one. I like his strong voice; his clear and deliberate delivery.

http://centralunitedchurch.com/sermons/for-god-so-loved-the-world/

well, if science is the centuries-long, careful, painstakingly discovered, tested & collective knowledge of humanity

then of course theology can be a science

science is much older than the 18th century?

Thessalonians 5:21

adam smith for the win!

The etude of things that are not anything but ethereal ... ghost-like appearances of thoughts drawn out by hale Luce in nations?

Hypo-science is gutte, gothe for hype knot ihcs ... pneumatics as the wind that dost pass unseen .. and thus the unconscious sole ... foundation of things unseen? Opposing spirits? Wishes and as souls ... the subtle tunnel for wee chits ot biting pains if constitutionally froze up? This is the rigid spirit of physically oriented bone structions ... or Ephraim of the older story of Golden Nature .. sunset for de Dark Mutter ... just a whisper in the Shadowlands ...

do you know how many don't believe in abstract hues ... or things buried there in dark expressions ... word accrued?

God so loved the world it was supported by unseen forces ... man couldn't believe such a vast thing-heh the powerful (or jude 'n) abstract spatial eff-IHC 'd? To remain unseen speak sacredly or the powers pull put ewe down ... has its hypo naughty (knotty) consequence ... like stray thought ...

Anon subjective science as a perspective that is objectively oude of aerie ... or Eire depending on tradition. Some broad-based footing is required ... as unseen foundationto fll upon ... the love of soul/psyche/mind aphorisms ... metaphor ye ... perhaps distance pas ... or without subject I've caught de Ja' Vue ... looking back into futures that report and echoe?

Unseen if stuck on presence ... of wishes ...

I enjoyed the sermon and it brought me to this:

Looking back to the Greeks in Plato and Aristotles day, the gods were competitive, jealous, vain, they hurt one another, and they struggled for dominance over one another until Zeus became the king of the gods. Zeus himself was afraid of being overthrown by the other gods just as he had his own father. They were sexual and gave birth. They allowed humans to kill each other if they worshiped other gods and would bribe humans for their own desires.The gods reproduced with themselves and with humans. The "gods" seemed human in a way.
Plato, taught by Socrates, wanted nothing to do with these "gods".
In Socrates mind the gods wanted us to be good and just and examine our own lives. Because Socrates is charged with impiety, during his trial, Socrates, asks Euthyphro (an Athenian religious official), to define piety. Piety is a virtue, and
Euthyphro has a problem when he says that piety is what pleases the gods and impiety is what displeases them. This bothers Socrates, he wants to know if piety is a virtue because it pleases the gods or are the gods pleased by these things things because those things are pious?(is piety a value independent of whether the gods like them?) He supposedly was arguing for an objective Good.
For Plato(Socrate), justice, courage, moderation, wisdom and beauty were more real than the things we see or touch. He would say the things we see and touch are only half real and are in the middle ground of unreality and reality, and what Plato called "the forms", such as justice, beauty, etc are what's real. We are tied to the body for most of this life but the soul can gradually help us rise to a plane to see the "forms". In other words, they are invisible to our senses but can be seen with the minds eye.
I am quoting from the site below and you can read further if you desire:

http://people.wku.edu/jan.garrett/pgods.htm

I suppose what I am thinking is this, "through Christianity have we finally discovered that we only need one God to represent these elusive forms, so to speak, without our being able to negotiate their meaning or truth? Can science be a form also?

Theology--Where did man ever get the Idea he had the mind to understand GOD? The Bible clearly shows only GOD knows GOD. It would seem that"s why He has sent HIS Holy Spirit to teach us all things. OF That which is GOD. The word Theology to me look to mean The theory of GOD. In Greek it means two words. theos--meaning GOD-- Logia meaning--knowledge or study of GOD. It would seem to me them . One of the reasons our Churchs are failing , is that they have the wrong teacher for there Ministers.

Theology--Where did man ever get the Idea he had the mind to understand GOD? .......
You could have stopped there :)
Your point has be ably demonstrated by the multitude of religions and denominations and those claiming they know what God wants/demands.

You could have stopped there :)
Your point has be ably demonstrated by the multitude of religions and denominations and those claiming they know what God wants/demands.
But Rita, don't you think that God wants us to try to understand? The problem is, IMHO, when we want to make God as small as us and underestimate God's love.

But Rita, don't you think that God wants us to try to understand? The problem is, IMHO, when we want to make God as small as us and underestimate God's love.
Of course Waterfall ..... trying to understand is important.
What I was referring to was the idea that a denomination/religion/person has become the authority on God.

Of course Waterfall ..... trying to understand is important.
What I was referring to was the idea that a denomination/religion/person has become the authority on God.
--Wow RitaTG---You and I have not been able to agree on much. But I believe in this we do.

Isn't it just a hoot what people will say and other people see something else in what they say?

It is like mixing all the Gods in a kettle and it all boils down to an epistle of wormy substance ... squirming around admitting mortals know nothing individually which is an ideal of another sort or a hollo decked idealism ... a god devoid ... like a po'man in a state of extreme Love ... thus the po'melling ... by hamadryad ... sometimes known as A' dry-an .. a concern needing a whetting?

You say, "I enjoyed the sermon and it brought me to this: I suppose what I am thinking is this..........."
Then you ask two questions:
1. "Through Christianity, have we finally discovered that we only need one God to represent these elusive forms, so to speak, without our being able to negotiate their meaning or truth?

2. Can science be a form also?"
=================
Here is how I would put the questions:
1. Monotheism. Which ancients--was it the Egyptians, the Jews or was it the Judaeo-Christians--were the first mono-theists?
THE FOLLOWING IS A GOOD BRITANNICA ARTICLE ON THE TOPIC
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/390101/monotheism/38222/Christianity

2. What about science? Is it a kind of Form Thinking? My short answer is, yes! Now, check out the following:
THE THEORY OF FORMS, OR IDEAS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

As a UNI-theist theologian, in my opinion, G~O~D, or G~0~D, is NOT a three-dimensional being--a God, or the God--in any way, shape of Form. To this I will add: GOD IS--ONENESS the one that Generates, Organizes and Delivers-- ONE with the eternity of time and the infinity of space--all that is the highest Good, Optimum & Delightful.
======================
John 4 Good News Translation (GNT--good news translation)
Jesus and the Samaritan Woman

Ladies and gentlemen: Please read this passage, carefully, and pay attention to the way Jesus so respectfully treated this Samaritan and foreign woman--he even agreed to talk with her, and her people about great Ideas (Forms). Ordinarily, Jews and Samaritans were expected to be and act like enemies of one another. As I read the passage I have the feeling that JESUS--the embodiment of AGAPE-Love--changed, for the GOOD, a lot of lives that day.

The Pharisees heard that Jesus was winning and baptizing more disciples than John. (2 Actually, Jesus himself did not baptize anyone; only his disciples did.) 3 So when Jesus heard what was being said, he left Judea and went back to Galilee; 4 on his way there he had to go through Samaria.

5 In Samaria he came to a town named Sychar, which was not far from the field that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired out by the trip, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

7 A Samaritan woman came to draw some water, and Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink of water.” (8 His disciples had gone into town to buy food.)

9 The woman answered, “You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan—so how can you ask me for a drink?” (Jews will not use the same cups and bowls that Samaritans use.)

10 Jesus answered, “If you only knew what God gives and who it is that is asking you for a drink, you would ask him, and he would give you life-giving water.”

11 “Sir,” the woman said, “you don't have a bucket, and the well is deep. Where would you get that life-giving water? 12 It was our ancestor Jacob who gave us this well; he and his children and his flocks all drank from it. You don't claim to be greater than Jacob, do you?”

13 Jesus answered, “Those who drink this water will get thirsty again, 14 but those who drink the water that I will give them will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give them will become in them a spring which will provide them with life-giving water and give them eternal life.”

15 “Sir,” the woman said, “give me that water! Then I will never be thirsty again, nor will I have to come here to draw water.”

16 “Go and call your husband,” Jesus told her, “and come back.”

17 “I don't have a husband,” she answered.

Jesus replied, “You are right when you say you don't have a husband. 18 You have been married to five men, and the man you live with now is not really your husband. You have told me the truth.”

19 “I see you are a prophet, sir,” the woman said. 20 “My Samaritan ancestors worshiped God on this mountain, but you Jews say that Jerusalem is the place where we should worship God.”

21 Jesus said to her, “Believe me, woman, the time will come when people will not worship the Father either on this mountain or in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans do not really know whom you worship; but we Jews know whom we worship, because it is from the Jews that salvation comes.

23 But the time is coming and is already here, when by the power of God's Spirit people will worship the Father as he really is, offering him the true worship that he wants.

THE GREEK FOR SPIRIT IS "PNEUMA"--and it literally means: the air, wind and breath of life! The ancients, with no knowledge of modern astronomy, and astrophysics, worshipped what we call the life-giving atmosphere, which surrounds the earth as if it was magical, filled with spirits, demons gods and the like.

24 GOD is Spirit (PNEUMA), and only by the power of his Spirit can people worship him as he really is.”

25 The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah will come, and when he comes, he will tell us everything.”

26 Jesus answered, “I am he, I who am talking with you.”
===============================

Last edited by a moderator:
If God is pure love and love is something you can't see as said to be non-substantial ... is that an energy that is difficult to study ... only the surrounding effects ... one has to love such blind sciences ... once known as a bold observation as if looking into an abstract thing ... as not absolute if moves on ... and so it goes ...heh't-ude, or high dude as a distant rider attached to the holy Law as a guilder ...a secret work of golden value ... a chemerii thought to Romans that believed thinkers to be monsters ... true if they justified thoughts without care! Some balance may be prerequisite when walking the line .. drawn on that psyche character of the imagination!

Could this be like electromagnetic energy ... forms dark lines around the earth? Seems attractive too ... with the right spin ...

Luce NDs, you say,
If God is pure love and love is something you can't see as said to be non-substantial ... is that an energy that is difficult to study ... only the surrounding effects ... one has to love such blind sciences ... once known as a bold observation as if looking into an abstract thing ... as not absolute if moves on ... and so it goes ...heh't-ude, or high dude as a distant rider attached to the holy Law as a guilder ...a secret work of golden value ... a chemerii thought to Romans that believed thinkers to be monsters ... true if they justified thoughts without care! Some balance may be prerequisite when walking the line ... drawn on that psyche character of the imagination!
=======================

Good News Translation (GNT) John 17
Jesus Prays for His Disciples and he makes it clear that he and all, including us, who WILL and choose the way of Agape-Love are born to be at one with G~O~D--that which Generates, Organizes and Delivers.
====================
1 After Jesus finished saying this, he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Give glory to your Son--INCLUDES MALE AND FEMALE--so that the Son may give glory to you. 2 For you gave him authority over all people, so that he might give eternal life to all those you gave him.

THEN HE CONTINUES TO TALK TO THE CREATIVE POWER
3 And eternal life means to know you, the only true God, and to know Jesus Christ, whom you sent. 4 I have shown your glory on earth; I have finished the work you gave me to do. 5 Father! Give me glory in your presence now, the same glory I had with you before the world was made.

6 “I have made you known to those you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me. They have obeyed your word, 7 and now they know that everything you gave me comes from you. 8 I gave them the message that you gave me, and they received it; they know that it is true that I came from you, and they believe that you sent me.

9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those you gave me, for they belong to you. 10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine; and my glory is shown through them. 11 And now I am coming to you; I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world. Holy Father!

Keep them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one just as you and I are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me.
==========
I protected them, and not one of them was lost, except the man who was bound to be lost—so that the scripture might come true. 13 And now I am coming to you, and I say these things in the world so that they might have my joy in their hearts in all its fullness. 14 I gave them your message, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.

15 I do not ask you to take them out of the world, but I do ask you to keep them safe from the Evil One. 16 Just as I do not belong to the world, they do not belong to the world. 17 Dedicate them to yourself by means of the truth; your word is truth.

18 I sent them into the world, just as you sent me into the world. 19 And for their sake I dedicate myself to you, in order that they, too, may be truly dedicated to you.

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR OUR BENEFIT--VERY UNI-THEISTIC

20 “I pray not only for them, but also for those who believe in me because of their message.

I pray that they may all be one--on the crest of the united church.

Father, [includes spirit, male and female]! May they be in us, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they be one, so that the world will believe that you sent me. 22 I gave them the same glory you gave me, so that they may be one, just as you and I are one: 23

I in them and you in me, so that they may be completely one, in order that the world may know that you sent me and that you love them as you love me.

24 “Father! You have given them to me, and I want them to be with me where I am, so that they may see my glory, the glory you gave me; for you loved me before the world was made.

25 Righteous Father! The world does not know you, but I know you, and these know that you sent me. 26 I made you known to them, and I will continue to do so, in order that the love you have for me may be in them, and so that I also may be in them.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus the unseen remains an eternal mystery because of people that don't wish to know nu-tin ... the reflective Nous of the past in a hypnotic trance? Real people adhere to mysteries and don't like to question nu-tin ...

Then, there is the psychic etude ... or the study of a real strange bedevilling non-thing-heh ... represented by the Hebrew Holy Letter! This turns up at present in the Stonehenge Mystery ... some say an idiom contained in the stones ... allows some alien thoughts to cross psyche as peculiar thoughts about the gift of passion that should be consumed with medium ... Medea along with adulteration, or learning of things authorities wish we wouldn't excel in ... mind space? Especially that area behind and opposing the sensory motor imaging area ... the right occipital part? Good Lord a brae in fart!

That "O" as the zero sun gives a'mon a place to put it ... heh's emotional thoughts ... buried so physical overloads won't know what, sublime ... a pain in the ass to make one think as the tail is attached to the stone-like creature ... standing there staring off into the distance ... "a bit off" the way into Nous spatial grounds ... abstracts? Those institutionalized just do not put up with any Nous Light as they can't see it and thus biblical "unseens" to immortally deep for mortals ... so eternally cloes to true ...

Suppose we re still hal Luce in 8'n about being a product of the Love maqon dirt that is rejected by the emotions of hating to learn about alien things ... Sam aeries? Devilish whines in the night as they rip off to get a look in the dark ... thus we are disoriented by Bacchus ... is that hype Nautical as compared to hypo truth and de brother was off there in his bote ... a truly misunderstood mote, or moot word as people refuse the light and prefer it in the Shadow ... a vast dark hole allowed for pupae!

Flight is later if it does not scare you ... as Ba t'z known to do ... even though they consume what bugs yah ...

Back