The "Ugly Christmas Sweater"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Reaction score
Tacky/ festive Christmas sweaters have been around for several decades...but who knew that the "Ugly Christmas Sweater" trend started at a home Christmas party, hosted by a couple of young people in Vancouver? They started a new international tradition (that's 15 yrs old now).

Reaction score
I passed by a street vendor selling them in downtown Vancouver a few years ago...he collected Christmas sweaters he bought at thrift stores, really cheap, and was selling them for about $30 each, and doing really good business!

Reaction score
The article mentions they meant “ugly” to be synonymous with “tacky” (and the name kind of stuck)...but that they were actually fond of the feel good nature and creativity of Christmas sweaters. Since then, I’ve seen some that are truly ugly, on purpose...but with a sense of humour!

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I want to knit an ugly Christmas sweater. I unfortunately usually only think of it during the Christmas season when it is too late to knit something.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
You could start now for next year....
I don't have any ugly sweater, however, I do have a couple of seasonal ties that might be open to that description.