• On Tuesday, November 24, the site will be down for c. 30 minutes sometime between 8pm and 10pm. That's about as precise a time as I can give. Our host is upgrading some of the software that underlies the site.

The Stories of Creation

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
We Were created with a dualistic brain. My wiring is grounded in the right hemisphere.

95AEE74B-FCF4-4951-A8D8-B0F0EF27C1DD.jpeg

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
We Were created with a dualistic brain. My wiring is grounded in the right hemisphere.

View attachment 4307
I would have to agree with this. I am more "even-brained" than most, in that I have almost equal facility with languages as with math/science concepts, but I tend to left-brain, and I would think you would tend to right-brain.

GeoFee

Reaction score
Agree. Left brain issues caused major complications in junior high. I just could not get mathematics.

GeoFee

Reaction score
This quote from the article spoke to me:

“I do think, however, that those who insist that they must be interpreted ‘literally’ (whatever that means) are imposing their own presuppositions on these texts in a way that is ridiculous.” James McGrath

GeoFee

Reaction score
I have heard and appreciated various Indigenous creation stories. Often the creator is an animal. These stories were not told or heard literally. They were generally told by grandparents around campfires. These stories inspired the imaginations of young listeners. The main idea communicated was respect for the natural world.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I have heard and appreciated various Indigenous creation stories. Often the creator is an animal. These stories were not told or taken literally. They were generally told by grandparents around campfires.
When I did a service on creation stories for the UU fellowship, I included at least one indigenous one. Might even have been two. It's been a while. Also had the Greek one from Hesiod and Genesis 1, IIRC. The sermon was on looking at the Big Bang as a modern creation story, i.e. looking at how it informs our understanding of our place in the universe rather than just the science.

GeoFee

Reaction score
All peoples have told creation stories. Sadly one people continues to insist that their creation story only is true. This attitude brought great tragedy to indigenous peoples on all continents. Sigh!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Sadly one people continues to insist that their creation story only is true.

Especially considering that it is generally accepted that there are two stories (Jahwist & Priestly sources) merged into one book in our own Creation myth.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
The sermon was on looking at the Big Bang as a modern creation story, i.e. looking at how it informs our understanding of our place in the universe rather than just the science.
This. This is what the creation stories are all about. They are not so much about how the earth came into being, but about our place in the created order. Some of the stories will emphasize humanity's smallness and absurdity; others will lift up humanity's grandeur and image. What stories we tell and cling to really tell us less about the earth, and more about ourselves.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
What stories we tell and cling to really tell us less about the earth, and more about ourselves.

Agreed. I find it very interesting that many of our Jewish relatives see the Genesis Creation story(s), as an allegory for humanity's rise into self-consciousness, in contrast to a more Christian idea of a "fall" into sin. Same stories.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
All electric systems must be properly grounded .. thus the left and what's rightly wrong in eclectic thinking going off in all states of directives!

Then in mult*etudes it might be worth significant studies in polytechnic. Then there is the question of why older electricians spoke of earth levels instead of the modern groundings ... as we create while whipping through unknown space ... strange thing sare out there! Sarah? Or just Saray ... like Marah and Mariah as an open pool ... Mary awe ... strikes me as odd ... what we don't know while claiming to know God 'n everything ... a stunning blow! That's goad 'n with nothing ... devising vacancy for sure!

How we loose it is questionable ... query or queer Aye? To see the unseen by the obverse Ide ... upsetting!