The Rise of Corporate Fascism

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I don’t like Walmart either but if you are on a tight budget and they’re the cheaper more accessible option…

For awhile I boycotted big stores I didn’t like. I can’t afford to do that - not for years. I can’t stand Amazon either and I resent that sometimes my favourite household items are up to 30% cheaper at regular price on Amazon than in a retail store. Because they cut out the overhead… but using them means no stores will be able to afford the overhead and compete with them. I hate that.

We have giant tiger. Much cheaper, but I understand. Sometimes we have to hold our nose and do something

I used to get lost all the time
For some reason, I don't anymore :3
Haven’t actually been there in a few years - but I don’t think the set-up has ever changed. It’s way in the burbs and only worth it to go if you’re getting a piece of furniture or a bunch of things requiring transport, so I’d go with others in their car. I don’t think I’ve ever been by myself, and I guess I just hoped the other people I was with knew where they were going and - before we all had cell phones - to meet them at the door by a certain time if we got separated.

That's not fair, kimmio. I know that the cops are not all great in Canada, but they're a lot less frightening than in the U.S. Cops here don't routinely murder people for being poor or the wrong colour, which they definitely do in the States.

Corporate moves to keep the riff-raff out make sense to them, the corporations. They don't think they're responsible for the economic disparity that drives people to steal, so they try to protect their property.

I have never been asked to show a receipt after a self-checkout. If I were, I would never return to that store. You want me to be your unpaid employee, and you think you can check my work? I don't think so. You're the one that installed the self-checkout. If it increases theft, maybe you should reconsider your decision. Customers who are treated like potential thieves are less likely to return. Trust me. According to the big guy, I am a very self-righteous shopper, LOL. He made me shop in Walmart the other day. Dreadful store, not good prices, very confusing, too much walking.

OTOH, any barrier that protects my poor lungs from the perfume department is my kinda barrier.
I think perhaps part of Kimmio's metric is that if she sees minorities being badly treated that this "counts for more"/is worth more on the things are too bad part of the scale than bad treatment of people in general or good treatment?

Just a possibility

Always recall: "power corrupts" and sole is so low that power does not stoop that low to travel in that person's ... well-you-know if you experienced power ... where it used to be is a hole ... they the fey and feminine side of word and communications ... the heavy and hard cannot possibly keep up ... as that lass that escaped the stone wahl 'n ... a code to hide what the folk out didn't wish to see in ... thus the innis and oudis !

I think perhaps part of Kimmio's metric is that if she sees minorities being badly treated that this "counts for more"/is worth more on the things are too bad part of the scale than bad treatment of people in general or good treatment?

Just a possibility
No. Minorities are treated badly with greater frequency and intensity and that’s a legit problem.

That's not fair, kimmio. I know that the cops are not all great in Canada, but they're a lot less frightening than in the U.S. Cops here don't routinely murder people for being poor or the wrong colour, which they definitely do in the States.

Corporate moves to keep the riff-raff out make sense to them, the corporations. They don't think they're responsible for the economic disparity that drives people to steal, so they try to protect their property.

I have never been asked to show a receipt after a self-checkout. If I were, I would never return to that store. You want me to be your unpaid employee, and you think you can check my work? I don't think so. You're the one that installed the self-checkout. If it increases theft, maybe you should reconsider your decision. Customers who are treated like potential thieves are less likely to return. Trust me. According to the big guy, I am a very self-righteous shopper, LOL. He made me shop in Walmart the other day. Dreadful store, not good prices, very confusing, too much walking.

OTOH, any barrier that protects my poor lungs from the perfume department is my kinda barrier.

It’s really not hard to find this.

From up there the functions against minorities may be considered a small thing ... Minor MU's! Thus lessor thoughts as not bought into ... by those looking for something for nothing or close to it ... legalese is like that if you can be part of the construct of belittling ... the essence of legitimacy ...

It gets complex when considering the God's off springs beyond castle Wahls ... Baskerville! Semite winds ...

May resolve the enigma of many water chimera ... like Medusa, Kraken, etc. Verde Choes ... if encountering a lie, oppose it with a myth ... few will accept either ... due to leanings that are not medium ... unbalanced!

Does that open the door for stupendous incidents of naivete in a splash ?

Well, it does ensure you didn't bypass the cashier

I've been told they also check for duplicates, ie been charged for two items, do you have two of the item in your cart

Okay, I don't have a costco membership, so no interest in this, just curiosity.

I don't mind, so much, unless I've been forced into self checkout against my will, and "they" are checking my work, which "they" should provide.

Curious, how are you forced into self checkout?

Don't you have an option even if at the most extreme not going to the store

Shoppers Drug Mart is at least strongly pushing customers into the self checkout. I was at one today and had to ask about a real cashier.
Fine, but you're not forced.
  • You can wait for a cashier
  • You can go to a different store
  • You can by online.

I was just at shoppers today. The self check outs don’t take cash. They are clearly about moving to a cashless society and removing staffing overhead. Incrementally, and sometimes quickly, we are being forced to use self check out. If there is no staff available and you have to use cash - maybe you can’t get to another store and you just spent time and effort picking up a bunch of things you need and then can’t buy them because there’s no help available. Maybe the self check out is inaccessible (that’s a big one - Shopper’s are at a weird angle, not easy to reach everything, for me - they have at the side making it hard to maneuver closer. Canadian Tire’s keypad is hard to reach and hard to see the text and numbers on the display also due to positioning - a clerk has had to help once or twice anyway ) - but if you want to be able to physically shop in a store and look at and feel if the items are worth buying, it’s made far more difficult. Maybe you need to return something and exchange for something else and it’s a complicated transaction needing a human to help. The fewer cashiers there are the more we are being forced to use the self check out.

Sometimes I use cash but that is not the only reason I like to go through a cashier. We are slowly (or quickly) being forced to use self check-out.

Last edited:
No. Minorities are treated badly with greater frequency and intensity and that’s a legit problem.
That is one way I check what I think -- I got critiqued by you :3

What I meant is that you seem to have a metric where people from certain groups get treated badly by cops counteracts any good the police do and is worth more on the bad side of the scale?

What Bette was saying is she has a metric where to her the cops in Canada are doing a better job than the cops in USA for the reasons she stated?

You seem to be saying any good the cops do isn't worth it because the bad outweighs the good or the completely ordinary things they do?

Also by minority don't you mean "systemically oppressed group?" and isn't that a social construct (which doesn't mean it isn't real, but there is a lot of slop room, with intersectionality, so a white homeless is "worth less as an oppressed" as a black homeless?)? Just askin questions here and checking my delusions.

That is one way I check what I think -- I got critiqued by you :3

What I meant is that you seem to have a metric where people from certain groups get treated badly by cops counteracts any good the police do and is worth more on the bad side of the scale?

What Bette was saying is she has a metric where to her the cops in Canada are doing a better job than the cops in USA for the reasons she stated?

You seem to be saying any good the cops do isn't worth it because the bad outweighs the good or the completely ordinary things they do?
Also by minority don't you mean "systemically oppressed group?" and isn't that a social construct (which doesn't mean it isn't real, but there is a lot of slop room, with intersectionality, so a white homeless is "worth less as an oppressed" as a black homeless?)? Just askin questions here and checking my delusions.

The increasing bad trend means it’s a corrupted system or that bad trend wouldn’t be happening. Systemic oppression means non white people overall are still more likely to face discrimination and homelessness on the basis of race or ethnicity, more often. It doesn’t mean white people who do face similar - poverty and homelessness - are ultimately worth less. It means that as some historically oppressed groups achieve gains, those who have been the dominant group see oppressed group’s gains as a threat to them and then are more likely to side with the oppressor and resist progress by doing so, even against their own best interests, in order to retain the ruling group’s dominance. It means black and Indigenous people are still disproportionately poorer overall, and get shot at more by cops than white people do.

You could read the TO Star article above and look at the stats in it. It gives a good picture of what’s going on.

Last edited:
Back