The Riot at Christie Pits

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

paradox3

Peanuts Fan
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
In August of this year, it will be the 90th anniversary of the race riot at Christie Pits here in Toronto. It is said to be the worst race riot in Canadian history.

It began at a baseball game where a Jewish team was playing. A swastika was raised and it led to the involvement of 10,000 participants and spectators. It went on for six hours.

A play is being staged at the park this summer. Christie Pits is a big park near the Christie subway station. It was formerly a sandpit.

I grew up hearing this story. My parents took me there to see the site of the riot when I was a little girl. All I remember is a playground. But it is still in my mind as something very significant.

My mom would have been nine years old at the time of the riot.

Anyone else remember this piece of history? I also heard a lot about the depression and WWII when I was a child.

That's too early for my folks. Dad was born the year after in Owen Sound, so his family was some distance from it. I have come across it from time to time but can't say I really know much about the event beyond the broad strokes you give here. A sad chapter, to be sure. Maybe the play will help get some attention on it?

I think I know nothing about this piece of history. I will look it up.

Personally, I heard not much about the depression when I was growing up; it was a different thing in England (but man, could the women of my family stretch a penny). However, my father served in WW2 from 39-45 (he was 17 when he joined up), so the "scars of war" were very much in evidence in my little nuclear family, immigrants in a strange land, separated from family.

I think I know nothing about this piece of history. I will look it up.

Personally, I heard not much about the depression when I was growing up; it was a different thing in England (but man, could the women of my family stretch a penny). However, my father served in WW2 from 39-45 (he was 17 when he joined up), so the "scars of war" were very much in evidence in my little nuclear family, immigrants in a strange land, separated from family.
My family was in the funny position that Dad was too young to serve (only 5 when the war broke out) and Grandad being clergy did his bit by ministering to troops stationed in his area for training. The only relative I have who I know for sure served was a great-uncle on Mom's side and he was in the corps of engineers based in England so didn't see combat.

Da was in the Signal Corps (translation) with the Indian Army. Meant he saw some some interesting action, in some interesting places (spent a lot of time in North Africa and Italy), theoretically from the sidelines, but his best friend died in a sniper incident in 43 or 44 and he witnessed a horrific incident of friendly fire on a civilian population which haunted him.

The friendly fire incident happened in Bari, Italy. In the light of convos on other threads about coincidences, isn't it funny that he rooted us in Barrie?

Back