The Return of Cover Songs III

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Julia Westlin's husband David Meshow often remains quietly in the background, engineering and producing, but not frequently appearing in, the Swedish soprano's recordings and videos. So it is nice see him joining her on screen for this Beatles cover.

I have posted their story before, but the short version is that Julia is Swedish and David is French-Canadian and it was YouTube that brought them together. She now lives with David here in Canada.

Heavy metal and Andrew Lloyd-Webber are not two things you might associate with each other. However, this version of The Phantom of the Opera by Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish is a wonder to behold, mostly because of the stunning voice of lead singer Tarja Tarunen singing Christine Daae's parts. But I also love the arrangement, too, and the song actually works as metal. And the guitar player singing the Phantom gives the character a much rougher, darker edge than some of the tenors who traditionally sing the part. Some Lloyd-Webber fans may roll their eyes at this one, but I love it.

I talked about Anne Reburn upthread. Here she does a nice cover of a classic Police song.

That has always been a wyrd song for me. To "put on the red light" means to advertise yourself for prostitution. He says "don't sell your body to the night". Something has happened to "him" that he can't look after "her".

To add all that "red lipstick" video to it, sort of almost screws it up. I actually don't like it, because its intent confuses me.

Terrific Blondie cover from Pomplamoose. Never occurred to me before that Nataly would be a good one to sing this, but now I want to see if they've ever covered other Blondie material.

And Pentatonix have been quite active of late, putting out both new original songs and new covers. Here they are with a cover of a Tears for Fears classic.

I raved about Shane Ericks a while back. She's a Philippino-American singer whose lovely voice is reminiscent of the late Karen Carpenter. Here she teams up with another YouTuber who is new to me for a cover of a hit from the eighties.

For decades, one of my favorite bands has been British art rockers The Moody Blues. And one of my favorite of their songs, one of their biggest early hits, is "Nights in White Satin". Country duo Larkin Poe released a new cover of it a couple days ago and it is gorgeous. The performance is terrific and is accompanied by a moody video that hews into David Lynch territory with its style and imagery.

Today, they put out a perfect follow-up: An interview with Moodies lead singer, and the writer of the song, Justin Hayward. And it's a terrific interview, too, focussing of course on this one song of his.

From last night's exercise time, a cover of a Jimmy Eat World hit by Pomplamoose. Trying to figure out how the hell Jack got his entire beard into that mask. Maybe he's trimmed it. I love how this band masks and social distances with Nataly, who has to be unmasked to sing, in a separate booth. They've got recording in the pandemic age nailed, I would say.

Dusted this one off recently. Masterful rendition of Cindi Lauper's "Time after Time".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While mourning/celebrating the late Eddie Van Ha!en, this video came up. It was a bit of a surprise to find that The Boss covered Van Halen, but definitely a pleasant one once I started listening. Bruce and company nail it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a huge fan of Lake Street Dive which is why my eyes lit up when I saw that F&F had covered one of their songs. Chase isn't quite in the same league as Dive lead singer Racheal Price, but not many singers are. Nonetheless, I think she nails this song from LSD's last album.

Meanwhile, Anne Reburn gives a spooky take on a Diane Warren composition originally done by Leanne Rimes.

And Larkin Poe follow up their moody, strange video for the Moody Blues' Nights in White Satin with ... a moody strange video for Lenny Kravitz's hit Fly Away

And the Fossils half of Foxes & Fossils with a marvelous performance of one of my all-time favorite songs from the pen of Billy Joel. Band founder Tim Purcell takes lead on vocals and keys.

That might've been one of the best songs, especially lyrically, of the 20th century. I was just listening to the Billy Joel version the other night. Twice.

I like to watch reaction videos. I find them relaxing. That's how I came across this. I'm over 4 years late so it might already be posted somewhere on WC2, if not this thread.

"Disturbed" playing live on Conan. I like the original (Garfunkel's voice is angelic) but this is also powerful - like: "You weren't listening, were you?! Now you'd better be listening!" powerful :

Paul Simon approved.

Last edited:
Paul Simon approved.
I had never heard how Simon felt about the Disturbed cover. Glad to hear he approved. It puts a rather different spin on the song. I love both versions. And the Pentatonix version. And the Voces8 version. Let's face it, Sound of Silence is just one of those songs that is so good, it is going to be around for a very long time and be sung by many, many artists. Paul should be proud of it.

More Foxes & Fossils. This is their latest release, a nicely done cover of a classic Mamas & Papas song.

This has been sitting in my recommendations for a while, I assume because I watch a lot of Sara Bareilles. Finally got around to watching it. This is the band Sugarland joined by Sara (they were touring together according to the description) for a cover of "Come On, Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners. Very lively, entertaining performance.

Back in library school, before Mrs. M and I hit it off, I had a friend named Eileen that I went out with a few times, mostly to movies we were both interested in. And she absolutely hated this song, I assume because it had been sung her way one too many times.

I have never heard of The Black Sorrows before. But, wow, did they nail this 80s classic. "Storybook Love", written by the late Willy Deville, is one of many things I love about The Princess Bride. The original recording was by Deville himself with Mark Knopfler, who wrote the movie's score, on guitar.

For several weeks I have been fixed on the chorus of REM’s “This is the End of the World as we Know It”. Here is a Heavy metal cover version:

I love that song and that's a great take on it. I still prefer Great Big Sea's version, though (even more than REM's original). It just works so well as Newfie folk-rock.

Back