The Return of Cover Songs III

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Of course the classic cover of that song dates back to the early nineties, when it helped launch the great (and, sadly, now retired) Newfie band Great Big Sea.

Best band ever. It was the sound track for my life and my kids' "life in the car", from driving to cubs/brownies, to summer road trips.

I didn't know she performed this at Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize ceremony.She does a good save from a really embarrassing flub. The audience was charitable I'm not including it....hard to watch/listen. She, or whoever chose a song that was too lengthy. I guess they wanted to showcase Dylan's poetry.

I didn't know she performed this at Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize ceremony.She does a good save from a really embarrassing flub. The audience was charitable I'm not including it....hard to watch/listen. She, or whoever chose a song that was too lengthy. I guess they wanted to showcase Dylan's poetry.

Huh? Gimme Shelter isn't a Dylan song. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote it.

Huh? Gimme Shelter isn't a Dylan song. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote it.
Clear as mud, ain't I? I forgot to mention that the Nobel Prize ceremony was a different occasion and she performed (or tried to) "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" by Dylan. I decided not to post it, but neglected to edit to reflect that. Gimme Shelter is from her "Twelve" album (I have it). All covers. Gimme Shelter is my favourite, but she also does "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (she's 73!) "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" among others.

Last edited:
Wow, I somehow missed this one when it came out in April. Walk Off the Earth and friends get together over Zoom to cover a Dua Lipa song. Amazing performance.

But why are Sarah and Gianni on separate channels? They're a couple with three kids so I doubt they are isolating apart.

Which then led me to this Ed Sheerhan cover from last September. And, yes, that is one of the aforementioned three kids in the foreground.

I swear, this is one of those bands that I will never tire of hearing.

BTW, the guy with the red beard in their videos over the past year is musician and producer Tokyo Speirs. He came onboard to help out after the death of founding member Mike "Beard Guy" Taylor but has never formally become a member. Officially, the band currently consists of Sarah Blackwood (vocals and various stringed instruments), Gianni Luminati (vocals and whatever he happens to have on hand at the time), and Joel Cassady (vocals, percussion, occasionally other stuff).

Last edited:
I first encountered this song in a cover by the a capella group The Flying Pickets and fell madly in love with it. Here, a quartet of Voces8 members handle it beautifully. This is an older video and only one of this group (Andrea, the dark-haired soprano on the left) is still in Voces8 today.

Quintet Apollo5 are closely affiliated with Voces8, working out of the Voces8 Centre in London and appearing in mass choirs that Voce8 organize from time to time to sing bigger scale works like Handel's Messiah or the Bach Passions. So it's perhaps no surprise to hear them cover Voce8's setting of Only You. And to be honest? I think I prefer Apollo5's performance.

And note that they usually stand much closer together than that in performances. They are pretty clearly social distancing here.

And I've probably posted this one by Apollo5 before but it's a gorgeous version of a gorgeous song.

The soprano on the first chorus is just lovely. I don't the members of this group by name as I do those in Voces8 but they are all incredible singers.

Does Pentatonix covering a Canadian artist count as Can-con? This song is originally by hot Toronto singer-songwriter The Weeknd.

A case where I like the cover better

Gotye Somebody I Used to Know original (like the melody and visuals)

And a cover. I larned a new musical style: "Bardcore" :3 Ye Olden Tymes

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Last edited:
Haven't had any new Haley Reinhart in a while and this duet with her good friend Casey Abrams almost slipped by me since it was released on Casey's channel rather than Haley's. It's a very lovely, mellow Beatles cover.

I can't believe I haven't hoid this one.

Ol Spiritual Brobdinagian doing covers of Wish I Lived in Dixie (D.D.Emmett, 1850s), Saints go Marching In (Unclear) and All My Trials (Cynthia Gooding, 1957)

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Scary Pockets funk covers of just about anything pop up regularly in my YouTube recommendations. Up until now, not being a big fan of funk, I have kind of let them pass me by. But Elise Trouw singing Fleetwood Mac was a can't miss. I discovered this remarkable singer/drummer/studio genius a year or so ago. Elise usually flies solo, creating soundscapes from looping various instruments to back her ethereal mezzo-alto voice while laying down some impressive rhythms on her drum kit. Here, though, we get the rare treat of hearing her in a band and it is a great cover.

Remember Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Herez a Bardcore cover. In Classical Latin. With English translation. Gird your Chiton and put away your Cestus.

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

And the other famous song called "Dreams", originally by The Cranberries and here sung by Pentatonix, who've been putting out quite a few videos of late.

Anne Reburn is one of "influencers" who has been around on social media, esp. Youtube, for a while now. Her voice is ... so so. But she puts a lot of heart into her performances and her production and arrangements are terrific.

This is one of my favorite Reburn videos, a cover of a classic Bee Gees tune that shows off her mixing and performing skills well. It is a year old and has over a million views in that time (she has over 300,000 subscribers on Youtube).

A posthumous release from the late Chris Cornell. According to the description on Youtube, Chris recorded Guns'n Roses' "Patience" in March, 2016 to celebrate GnR reuniting. His daughter released it a few days ago to celebrate his 56th birthday.

Sad truth: I first watched this on my TV's half-arsed Youtube client which does not show the description, so I was wracking my brain to remember who originally did "Patience". I recognized the song and knew it was a cover, but could not remember the original band until I search for the song and found the old GnR video.

Back