The Return of Cover Songs III

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

CBC is once again running their Junos 365 series, featuring current artists covering past Juno winners.

Latest is singer-songwriter Justin Rutledge covering an old fave of mine, Sarah McLachlan's Building a Mystery.

Live From Here.is now on hiatus since COVID has put an end to live shows for the most part. However, they have cooked up a cool replacement. Called Live From Home, they are inviting artists to record a performance at home and then they post it to the Live From Here YouTube channel. Kicking it off is Rachael Price (Yes, she's my musical crush. Deal with it.) and Taylor Ashton. Not sure of the relationship between them, but they work well together here with an acoustic cover of "Time After Time".

And Rachael challenges three other musicians, including Akie Bermiss from her regular band Lake Street Dive, to follow suit.

Some of you may recall me falling hard for the music from the movie musical The Greatest Showman. Well, my current favorite cover song YouTuber Shane Ericks has tackled Never Enough from that show. The song is a powerful, operatic number and I was not sure if Shane had the chops for it, but she brought her own, softer sensibility to it while still shooting for the high notes. A nice rendition all in all.

One of my favorite covers of all time, a case of a cover that is as good as the original and maybe even better, is the Barenaked Ladies cover of "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" by Bruce Cockburn. It originally came out on a Cockburn tribute album and was an early hit for BNL. Here they revisit it as the first of a series they are calling #SelfieCamJams.

This is one song that really misses Steven Page, but I still love it. I still hope beyond hope he can rejoin them again sometime as he did for their Juno Hall of Fame induction.

Imaginary Future is primarily an acoustic artist, often performing with just his own guitar and occasionally his wife, singer-songwriter Kina Grannis, as a second vocalist. So tackling classic Bob Dylan seems like a natural for him and he couldn't have picked a better Dylan tune to cover this past week.

The song-as-playlist reaches far and wide, with an admirable ecumenicism—the Eagles are there, and Fleetwood Mac, and Stan Getz, and Patsy Cline, the Everly Brothers, John Lee Hooker, the Animals, and the Who. The song closes by inscribing itself into the corpus of American song through which American history is both forged and preserved:

Play “Love Me or Leave Me,” by the great Bud Powell,
Play “The Blood-Stained Banner,” play “Murder Most Foul.”

The Lyrics of Bob Dylan's epic new song 'Murder Most Foul' (released 2020/03/27)- accompanied by Arthur Rubinstein on piano playing Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata, Op. 27. (rough lyrics transcription taken from https://expectingrain.com/discussions...

Been raving about Lissie over in Random Acts of Music, but she's got some terrific covers floating around, too.

Joni Mitchell:

Bonnie Raitt:

Fleetwood Mac (where her resemblance to Stevie Nicks really comes through):

One of my favorite songs is the Boston seventies classic "More than a feeling". At its core, this cover follows the original fairly closely, with Mike Masse nailing the vocals originally done by the late Brad Delp (to whom the video is dedicated). The big change, though, is the addition of a violinist, Jenny Oaks Baker. Her playing is what really elevates this to more than just a good note-for-note cover of the song. This is a truly great cover of a great song.

And Mike Masse's tribute to the late Rush drummer/lyricist Neil Peart, a terrific acoustic cover of the band's "Time Stands Still" with his friend Brenda Andrus handily taking the female line originally sung by Aimee Mann. The simple acoustic accompaniment really throws the spotlight on Peart's wonderful lyrics for this song.

The "Mona Lisa Twins" and yes they really are twins:

Baby You Can Drive My Car (Beatles cover)

God Only Knows (Beach Boys cover)

The "Mona Lisa Twins" and yes they really are twins:

I have had them coming up in my recommendations from time to time but have not partaken until now. Wow. The guitar-playing is fantastic and they really capture the spirit of those classics they're covering.

Here's the one of their recent videos that Youtube has been waving at me. It takes some serious chops to play a David Gilmour guitar line but, damn, they did it. This is a wonderful cover of one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs (and my son's, too).

Oo, this video fits in perfectly here. It's Mike Masse (see my posts higher up this page) teaming with, yes, the Mona Lisa Twins.

A really nice cover of an old classic. I love how Nataly Dawn always comes across as a cheerful person in both her videos and the ones she does with Pomplamoose, constantly smiling and looking happy as she sings. Oddly, not much of her hubby, the other full-time member of Pomplamoose, in this one. Just a brief appearance in final third.

Back