The Return of Cover Songs III

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
We've had a couple threads about cover songs in the past but it has been a while and I just watched a string of terrific covers last night.

First up, a Buffalo Springfield classic done beautifully by the Del McCoury Band and some friends. The singer (who apparently also plays fiddle) is perfect and the banjo and guitar playing is out of this world.

The we have Nataly Dawn (who I have posted before in videos of Pomplamoose, the collaboration she has going with her husband) with a Wham! cover that has apparently made its way into the soundtrack for HBO's TV series Watchmen.

And finally, Luke Evans is a name I vaguely know but I am not sure from where. He handles this eighties Pat Benatar classic beautifully, keeping the song recognizable even as he makes it his own.

Can it be an old one?

Of course. Only rule is that it has to be a cover, not an original.

"Fields of Gold" seems to one of the most covered Sting songs out there. You'd think Every Breath You Take would be more popular but I think I see more covers of Fields. Sadly, Cassidy passed away not longer after recording it and it charted in a few European countries only after she died.

Shane Ericks is a new name to me, but this young Philipino-born American singer has a lovely voice which she seems to mostly employ on covers of 70s and 80s soft pop songs.

Last time I tried listening to Air Supply, who I used to be a fan of, I decided they were very much a band of their time. However, Shane's cover of "Here I Am" shows there's still some life in their music.

And Ericks seems to have a bit of a thing for Canadian sweetheart Anne Murray, with this as only one of her covers of a song made famous by Murray.

Last edited:
Shane's voice is compared to that of the late Karen Carpenter in a lot of what I am reading, which may explain the music she favours in her covers. Here she is with a Carpenters classic.

A venture into 90s new country with a Diane Warren composition that was a hit for both LeeAnn Rimes and Trisha Yearwood.

I love that she acknowledges her band right in the beginning of the video rather than buried in comments or end credits.

I've never heard of Sierra Eagleson before, but she does a beautiful job of Joni Mitchell's "River"!

I've never heard of Sierra Eagleson before, but she does a beautiful job of Joni Mitchell's "River"!

Love her voice. Here's another one. It lacks the relentless drive of Phil Collins' original version but her singing is wonderful.

Those remember the eighties, may recall the pop hit 99 Luftballoons (99 Red Balloons) by Nena. It came out both German (their first language) and English. Postmodern Jukebox has a nice jazz spin on it.

One of my favorite musical couples team up for a cover of the popular Louis Armstrong song, "What a wonderful world"

And, while this is a rather sweet little song that usually makes one sigh and shed a tear, Kina actually had me giggling with the little pop-up notes she slipped in.

Been listening to Shane Ericks again. This may be my favorite of her 70s covers. It's one of my favorite Billy Joel songs and I love both the arrangement (done by a friend of hers) and Shane's handling of the song.

Eddie Vedder and Chris Martin could have been a mismatch for this eighties gem of a song. Happily, though, they do a terrific job on both vocals and their respective instruments.

I came across this randomly (somehow Garth Brooks took me to Danny Glover - as Childish Gambino covering a 'Chris Gaines' - song - knew nothing about 'Chris Gaines' before but I did know about Glover/ Gambino - and can't remember why I found Brooks in the first place).

Aurora, live in a studio, doing Massive Attack's 'Teardrop'. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Back