The Return of Cover Songs III

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Alex Goot has a been a musical force on Youtube for over a decade. He frequently teams up with other Youtubers. Recently, First to Eleven visited him in Nashville and cut a bunch of covers in his studio. This Ed Sheeran tune is terrific (even I am not actually a huge fan of Sheeran himself, good songwriter but so-so as a performer IMHO).

And there's an interesting connection between Goot and the kids of F211. Years ago, when they were still starting out, Against the Current and their lead singer Chrissy Costanza did several well-loved covers with Alex. This Fall, Concrete Castles, F211's second project for their original material, is doing their first tour as the opening act for, you guessed it, Against the Current.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
And from F211's own channel, their weekly cover was originally written and performed by South African rockers Seether with Amy Lee of Evanescence (who dated Seether's lead singer for a couple years) providing the female vocals. Audra Miller lacks Amy's horsepower but still gives a skilled reading of the part, ably playing off guest singer Chris Donley (whose band Critic City I need to check out). And Matt is just amazing on the guitar (but what else is new).

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Critic City with a nice cover of an old Starship song that I actually have not heard covered much. Would probably be a good one for F211 to take on sometime.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
It's October, so time for First to Eleven's annual "in costume" Halloween video. This year, they take Michael Jackson's classic "Thriller" and put a rock edge to it. Never occurred to me how well-suited Audra's voice was to covering Jackson until I heard this.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
And Violet Orlandi teams with her friends and frequent collaborators the band Halocene and solo artist Lauren Babic for a song by My Chemical Romance. Halocene are Addie Nicole (vocals), Bradley Amick (guitar) and Joe Polizzi (percussion).

Luce NDs

And Violet Orlandi teams with her friends and frequent collaborators the band Halocene and solo artist Lauren Babic for a song by My Chemical Romance. Halocene are Addie Nicole (vocals), Bradley Amick (guitar) and Joe Polizzi (percussion).

Is this relative or resonant?

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
So apparently that video was actually part of a joint project by the three.

This song is actually the only MCR song I really know. This is from Halocene's channel.

And then this one appeared on Lauren Babic's channel.

And apparently, per a YouTube post by Halocene, this is all in support of their new album, which is a My Chemical Romance tribute.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Top Gun was one of the defining movies of the 80s, not least due to its soundtrack, which produced this hit for Kenny Loggins Here it is covered by First to Eleven in suitable costumes (though I don't recall USAF uniforms having short skirts and fishnets) as their second Halloween cover of this year.

And this was their second release of the week, the first being a collab with Violet Orlandi. This is definitely the better of the two. While the Top Gun one is fun, this Muse cover really shows off the talents of the band and Violet.

And speaking of Violet and fun videos, she dropped this one yesterday. This old Addams Family fan approves.

Last edited:

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
First to Eleven's acoustic release for this week is "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes. It's a popular song with the Youtube cover set but I like this version (I am quite fond of the song to start with). Audra handles the vocals beautifully and Matt proves he can handle an acoustic as well as he does an electric guitar.