The Great Resignation - What do you think?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
So we have been hearing for a while now that a higher than normal number of people are voluntary leaving their employees in the wake of the pandemic. Which seems weird at first blush. And reading about it, it seems that millennials and Gen Z have the highest rate, whereas I would have thought it would be older workers who could "retire". There seems to be various causes for this curious phenomenon. In healthcare, of course, we are seeing record burnout rates. In other fields, people are doing it because they don't want to return to the office after a year or more remote (vs. me who is actually enjoying working "hybrid" and getting in some face-to-face time in the office). There are other reasons given, too.

Here's a Wikipedia article on the phenomenon. The References at the end provide plenty of other sources to peruse.

So what do you think? Is this a good time to be in the job market? To give up your career and chase a dream? Or is this just more social upset due to the pandemic and a sign people may not be thinking straight?

Those believing they control the marketplace are not happy with this development of personality in the abyss ... yet ... still it goes and rendering and condensation in the light of excess profit making and little put back in the system ... holy cowed becomes a hollowed out term ...

Expect that we exist in a disturbed domain ... simulated chaos?

Lord who attaches to the folk supportive? Nu neigh ...

What I'm hearing is that a lot of employers are short-staffed, but aren't hiring in the numbers that are leaving, thus making the workload even heavier for those who remain, which means more people quit, etc. Does not seem to have occurred to employers that if they paid more, they might retain more staff. Also, those who were formerly in the "gig economy", like my daughter, are returning to it, thus opening up the minimum wage jobs they took for the duration. I mean, realistically, who slogs away for 24 hours a week, when the total weekly compensation is less than "one bad night working as shooter girl"...

I think minimum wage workers are learning it's a great way to raise minimum wage.
If youwant people to stay raise the wages and treat your employees well.

We have lots of unemployed people in our town - mostly under 30, I think. Some of these are quite comfortable on CERB (or whatever the latest version is called), and aren't seeming interested in working for a similar income. Many of the retail businesses are looking for staff but don't have enough income to pay more than minimum wage for a new worker. Difficult all around.

Many of the retail businesses are looking for staff but don't have enough income to pay more than minimum wage for a new worker.

Maybe businesses need to re-think the "permanent" minimum wage for staff. Sure, it's fine to pay a beginning employee that, but when you've been more than competent for several years, you might keep staff better if you could incrementally get long-term employees at least a couple of bucks an hour over minimum wage.

We have lots of unemployed people in our town - mostly under 30, I think. Some of these are quite comfortable on CERB (or whatever the latest version is called), and aren't seeming interested in working for a similar income. Many of the retail businesses are looking for staff but don't have enough income to pay more than minimum wage for a new worker. Difficult all around.
Didnt all the small businesses complain the last time minimum wage was increased? But here we are....small businesses are paying the increase.
And that 10 cent raise for minimum wage is an extreme insult....considering rents have run rampant and housing prices in the last two years.

Didnt all the small businesses complain the last time minimum wage was increased?

Of course they did. Better that employers recognize that inflation happens, and their payroll is never going to go down, and minimum wage increases will happen, and plan accordingly. Fine tune your business plan so that it doesn't entail paying the same minimum wage for eternity, lol.

If your business plan includes paying your employees a buck more than minimum wage, then every time the minimum wage goes up, you've got a little breathing room.

What I heard from junior was that lots of people his age went on CERB and had no intention to go back to work as long as its available.

Which is great until "the tax man cometh"... I do not think there were taxes withheld on CERB? I could be wrong.

What's thinking about a head??? They are described by some medical authorities as the main gonad!

Go figure that and how humans lose thots!

Then I've heard many pious believers say that laborers are worth nothing and they should be done away with ... may be efficiency has secretly done away with labor given the age of the leisurely (when it come to intelligence).

Does raise questions about the dirt around the bottom line ... as the mule plods and exclaims: "oh bother!" And we don't because ... nobody is really concerned and doesn't care about fragile networks ...

Consider what has been done to destroy them;

Doesn't that trump all in the game of bureaucratic politics as radical process? Then our children learn from such leading instincts ... :( sad eist? Eist a Germane expression ... for life is like that when submitting to all desires ... and yet the pious claim that s the way ... follow your heart ... and some get it right in the gut ...

What tense of gut compares to get ... and thus departure of all Q lu'z ... mortals cannot grip such things ... unless alien and alittle off from the ordinary ... fringe radicals? That's the buzz ... resembles an aura ... Pi' Dall around ...

Maybe businesses need to re-think the "permanent" minimum wage for staff. Sure, it's fine to pay a beginning employee that, but when you've been more than competent for several years, you might keep staff better if you could incrementally get long-term employees at least a couple of bucks an hour over minimum wage.
I'm certainly not an expert on this, I just have my observations and grapes off the vine to share. It seems at least some of our small businesses are trying to get and retain staff.
One advertised for both full and part time people. Part time was minimum wage - full time would start there with increases according to demonstrated abilities.
One offered benefits - health plan, pension contributions and discount on product.
One that had been badly managed by the owner was sold and is now thriving. Almost all positions are full time, the store is cleaner, tidier and pleasanter to be in. New owner started to gradually increase wages as deserved.

What I dont understand about CERB or CRB or even EI, is how can a person quit their job and expect to be able to collect any of them?
So all the restaurant staff that have quit with no jobs lined up, how do they qualify?
I've only used UI once when I was in my early 20's, and quitting a job automatically disqualified you from any benefits...is it the same today? And after lock down and the restaurants reopened, you can just refuse to go back and collect UI?

What I dont understand about CERB or CRB or even EI, is how can a person quit their job and expect to be able to collect any of them?
In the case of CERB, many of the people who received it didn't quit originally. They were laid off due to the pandemic and then chose not to come back when the employer reopened. That was my understanding at least.

As for EI, you can't simply quit and start collecting EI, per what you remember. You have to be laid off, had your employer go under, etc. So the people collecting EI in the pandemic would likely be ones with no job to go back to due to a business failing or permanently downsizing. And unless you are collecting mat or parental benefits, you have to be looking for work. At least that's how it used to work.

In the case of CERB, many of the people who received it didn't quit originally. They were laid off due to the pandemic and then chose not to come back when the employer reopened. That was my understanding at least.

I get that, but then why are people saying they're abusing the system....if they dont go back to work when it reopens they wont get CRB or UI....they get nothing, right?

I get that, but then why are people saying they're abusing the system....if they dont go back to work when it reopens they wont get CRB or UI....they get nothing, right?
I don’t think CERB would have a way to find out if a person would be able to go back to work or not. Didn’t they make it so simple to apply online that lots of people applied who weren’t eligible? Wasn’t one criteria that one had to stay home with the kids when school was closed? I think unless one tells them that one no longer need it they won’t find out until the next income tax shows income or CERB program is discontinued, whatever comes first.

This CERB thing has me worried for a number of people. My boarder's brother (an extremely stupid, unpleasant ne-er do well, to my mind) got himself on it, goodness knows how, because as far as I know he hasn't been gainfully employed in years. He's still getting it. And when the tax burden lands, I'll give you dollars to doughnuts that my boarder (who is not very bright, either, but a MUCH more pleasant personality) will be the one that pays for it. She's been bugging me to get another dog, saying her brother wants to buy her one, but I know that she's going to be in trouble when the hammer lands; also, she doesn't have a concept of responsible dog ownership. Her old dog had the City hammering on her door for months, first to get a tag for the dog, then to get rabies shots. Additionally, her brother loved the dog, which encouraged him to hang around here, not my preference, and I've never seen either of them with a "pet waste" bag. And the boarder has a very bad hernia, and can't walk very well, so who is going to walk this dog? I've squashed it for now...

I think CERB was a good and necessary idea. My daughter was on it for a couple of months until she found some part-time "essential" retail. But she's smart, plans for paying taxes, etc. It was a bit too much "blanket", assuming a level of responsibility that isn't always out there.

I have a friend who has a son, adopted, with a personality/ability disorder resulting from his early life. Attachment disorder, FAS, etc. He qualifies for, and receives, ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program), very legitimately, although he can present as "competent" in the short term. Despite his mother's attempts at intervention, ODSP occasionally sends him time-sensitive forms to return. Now, M_____ can, theoretically, read, a little. But his comprehension is near zero, and he's terrified of mail, as a result. So he just hides it or throws it out. My friend spends a lot of time getting him BACK on ODSP...

I yam resigned that all is going to hell ina handbasket due to MS 'n intellect!

Even politicians hate to contemplate anything but re-election and thus folk are folk dupe ...

Dubious? The Aramaic Khe is key ... leaves some quis heh ... unquestionable?

Back