The Canadian who saved Chrysler and Fiat is gone

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Sergio Marchionne was born in Italy, but came to Canada as a child and went to university here. He became a legend in the automobile world as he took the reins of first Italian conglomerate Fiat, then American auto giant Chrysler. Merging them into one company, he built two flagging, troubled companies into the seventh largest auto company in the world, owner of brands Fiat, Dodge, Chrysler, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Jeep and probably some I am forgetting.

Last week, FCA announced that they were promoting the head of Jeep to CEO of the group. The reason was Marchionne's ongoing health problems. Today, it was announced that Marchionne had passed away at the too young age of 66. From the son of an Italian cop to leader of a revived, re-energized corporation, he packed a lot into those years. RIP.

Sergio Marchionne, hailed for Chrysler and Fiat turnarounds, dead at 66

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Now for the flip side. I drove a Jeep for a few days last year while my CR-V was in the body shop. It was, all round, an inferior product to my Hondas. I keep hearing how things were supposed to have turned around under Marchionne but I didn't find this Jeep any better than any past Chrysler product I have driven. Never owned a Chrysler and see no reason to start.

Also, even he conceded that he completely missed the bus on low emissions vehicles and belatedly drew up a five year strategic plan that included bringing more hybrids and electrics into their lineup.

Luce NDs

More vehicles of hoarding when we are destined to stop and think ... amor on latent stuff!

Reason follows the e motives ... god-like fallacy as demos odd based for common folk that are denied even part of the good life ... by the alternate parts? Tis a menial part of the nebulous existence ... as encountered by Scrooge on a Kohl Obscure night of myth ... entrance to the Pagan Zone ... common arias? Just lion here as a drag-on part ... abstract?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I'd have to say that, generally, in Canada, unless you live in Toronto or Montreal (and there may be a couple of other major cities with really good transit), it's really considerably more difficult, or at least a lot more time-consuming, to live without a vehicle. We do a fairly poor job of urban planning. My general car strategy is to buy "good used", then drive it to the ground. I have to say that the Hondas have been the absolute best for this. Those Honda engines are really hard to kill, and the bodies tend to stand up pretty well, as well.

Luce NDs

I'd have to say that, generally, in Canada, unless you live in Toronto or Montreal (and there may be a couple of other major cities with really good transit), it's really considerably more difficult, or at least a lot more time-consuming, to live without a vehicle. We do a fairly poor job of urban planning. My general car strategy is to buy "good used", then drive it to the ground. I have to say that the Hondas have been the absolute best for this. Those Honda engines are really hard to kill, and the bodies tend to stand up pretty well, as well.

The 4 horse-men thus past ... we must work with what we got ... more of the mortal thingy that is emotionally lead ... heavies?

Un sync 'd or sunk ... as nemeses/Neigh meses?

Pinga

Room for All
I grew up in a Chrysler / Dodge family.

My husband drove a Jeep but did not like the last redesign

I listened to an interview of a union person who had met him.

Said he was a chronic smoker and tireless worker

Wonder what he died of

Lastpointe

The paper said complications from shoulder surgery. Likely that means an infection or blood clot causing stroke