TB

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

There are a couple of TB outbreaks in northern SK. This happens occasionally. Now I'm wondering what the protocol is for this disease.

When I was a kid schoolchildren were tested for TB at about 13 or so. Some kids had already had it and recovered, but the rest of us got BCG vaccinations. I don't recall my kids getting this but my memory could be failing me (again!).

Anyone know how TB is handled and/or prevented nowadays? My knowledge is restricted to one friend who had it as a child and was in a sanitorium for several years. He was declared cured and got on with his life until in his 70's. At that point he developed a cough and the doctor provided an antibiotic that didn't help. He explained that it could be a rerun of TB but the doctor didn't think so. This went on, with several rounds of antibiotic until he ran out of patience and said he wanted to do a sputum test . The doctor was reluctant but eventually agreed. Turned out the young doctor had no actual experience of TB! My friend was treated again and is now fine.

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
I had a postive skin test (routine testing for my CPE unit in the hospital, no symptoms and a clear physical exam (including a sputum test). I was offered (and took) a 9 month prophylactic course of INH. THis would have been around 1997-98

KayTheCurler

That sounds like a sensible decision. I don't understand why, when we have an outbreak, that testing and treatment doesn't happen right away. It would be reasonably simple in an isolated community. Antibiotic resistant TB in crowded, impoverished areas is probably more problematic,