"Sunday School"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

Reaction score
In the old days - worship gatherings for children were called "Sunday Schools" - and the leaders of same were called "teachers".

Has your church retained these terms - or have you switched to something else?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
What did 7th Day Adventists call the gatherings back in the old days?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Just a question that popped into my head. Saturday School?

Reactions: Jae

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I searched - "Sabbath School" and they have it for adults too. I visited a 7th Day Adventist church multiple times, I don't really recall the term, but I probably didn't ask.

Seeler

Reaction score
Generally we call it Sunday School, and we either have 'teachers' or 'leaders'. When I taught teenagers I preferred to be called 'leader'.

Sometimes we have tried to change the name - 'Christian Development', 'Children's Time', 'Bible explorarions', 'Bible discussions' (an adult class), 'Gathering in the Sunshine Room'. It hasn't taken. Before long we find that we have reverted back to Sunday School.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Religious Exploration is our current term for it. Children's Religious Exploration for our Sunday morning children's program and related activites like Youth Group (when we have enough youth to have one), Adult Religious Exploration for our programs geared to adults.

Jae

Reaction score
Generally we call it Sunday School, and we either have 'teachers' or 'leaders'. When I taught teenagers I preferred to be called 'leader'.

Sometimes we have tried to change the name - 'Christian Development', 'Children's Time', 'Bible explorarions', 'Bible discussions' (an adult class), 'Gathering in the Sunshine Room'. It hasn't taken. Before long we find that we have reverted back to Sunday School.
Thanks Seeler. The reason I want to change the name away from "School" is that it suggests to me that its purpose is only to feed the children with head-knowledge. I rather want to give them guidance and a space in which to develop themselves spiritually.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Thanks Seeler. The reason I want to change the name away from "School" is that it suggests to me that its purpose is only to feed the children with head-knowledge. I rather want to give them guidance and a space in which to develop themselves spiritually.
Exactly why we adopted "Religious Exploration" :cool:

crazyheart

Rest In Peace: tomorrow,tomorrow
Reaction score
Church School is the term I use. It then suggests subtley that "Sunday School" is every day not just Sunday.

hahahaha but folk still say Sunday School.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Twenty or so years ago when my kids were young (elementary school age) - they went to "Story Circle" not Sunday School. It was an experience of being in intentional Christian community for them, learning the stories and bringing them to life. In September is was just "Kids Camp" - lots of outdoor fun activities to begin the 'church year'. A later minister adopted the term "Children's Church". We have held to not using the term Sunday School - kids get enough of "school". At Grade 7, kids stay in church or help out with nursery or children's programmes if they wish to volunteer. We have a youth choir which is a main activity for this age group. We haven't done particularly well in providing programming for youth in the past 10 years.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
Religious Exploration is our current term for it. Children's Religious Exploration for our Sunday morning children's program and related activites like Youth Group (when we have enough youth to have one), Adult Religious Exploration for our programs geared to adults.
that brings to my mind an image of Imagination Spelunkers, armed with books and flashlights...:3

RichardBott

(He/Him) Yes, I am real.
Reaction score
Our congregation uses Godly Play as its primary resource for helping children to explore and experience their faith, so we have doorkeepers and storytellers.

In our adult nurture programmes, we tend to call the group leaders... ummm... well... leaders or facilitators, I think.