Summer jobs?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

My first summer job was at Scott's Dairy Treat in Galt Ontario.
It was a shack, literally, with lots of glass and wood construction, full of equipment -- freezers, ice cream making, fridges, slushy machine, milkshake machines, and so on.
It had a cash box, no cash register. You had to be good at math to work there, and quick on your toes.
With the machines running, and the sun beating down, it got HOT.

The soft ice cream was truly ice cream -- none of that DQ stuff.
It had excellent hard ice cream, with many flavours. We were taught to scoop by weight.

We worked hard, but, we had fun.

Trust was everything

Temp. Typing Bills of Lading. NUMERIC typing of endlessly lengthy Bills of Friggin' Lading. I did this smack dab between two of the most irate supervisors you can imagine, yelling at each other all day over my head. Hellscape.

Proof reading documents that simulated bills of lading ... ladies this was boring ... mostly about tree counts, so like being in an imaginary forest!

Sometimes I felt like it was closing in ... it grows on yah ...

Fond:

Working for the organizer of a library conference on services to youth in 1985. She was based at the Ontario Library Service offices in Kitchener. Confirmed my interest in the field and in going to Western for my MLIS (my boss was a Western grad). Later worked with her again briefly at the library where I worked in the nineties. Got to go to the conference on the government's dime, too (OLS was sponsoring the conference). Met a couple authors there, even, and picked up copies of their books for my little brother.

Not fond:

Casual role at a company that did inventory counts for stores. Once and I was outta there.

My first job was picking tomatoes in the fields in Leamington, 25cents a basket, part time after school. By the way those baskets were almost waist high. I did it before and after school and on weekends. I couldn't work a regular job because I was too young for a social insurance number....the heat was brutal and the job was boring. After I got my SIN I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken after school.....in the summer it was also quite hot with all the deep fried cookers going (no A/C) on but the money was better....$1.35/hr...lol!
Being a tad shy at the time, the interaction with the public gave me valuable experience to interact with the public.

Waterfall, I didn't realize you lived near Leamington.

My mother said her worst job was picking tobacco. (She lived in Windsor at the time)
If I remember correctly, she said you would lie on the machine, and pick the tobacco. Hot, dirty job

Waterfall, I didn't realize you lived near Leamington.

My mother said her worst job was picking tobacco. (She lived in Windsor at the time)
If I remember correctly, she said you would lie on the machine, and pick the tobacco. Hot, dirty job
I lived right on the main street beside the church, from 7 to 18yrs old....my Dad was transferred to there from Strathroy to another Anglican Church. So 11 years, then he was transferred to a Stratford 3 point parish Stratford. Leamington is called the sunparler of Canada for a reason, it's on the 49th parallel,same as California.

When I started here (see my post about my work anniversary) we did not actually have an office in Windsor, but did in Leamington and i think that was the first time I ever went to Leamington. Then we had a big push to open an office in Windsor to expand our ability to service both the city and Essex County, and Leamington eventually got rolled into it.

I lived right on the main street beside the church, from 7 to 18yrs old....my Dad was transferred to there from Strathroy to another Anglican Church. So 11 years, then he was transferred to a Stratford 3 point parish Stratford. Leamington is called the sunparler of Canada for a reason, it's on the 49th parallel,same as California.
Did you mean the 39th parallel?

Several interesting summer jobs including landscaping (mostly stacking sod on pallets, preparing soil for sod, and laying sod, 60 to 70 hours a week straight time because we were farm labour), aluminum extruding plant, trailer shop which mostly repaired trailers used for hauling goods, CP Rail Ogden shops where I mostly worked in the hook shop where meat hooks were tinned (metal meat hooks were put on racks, dipped in an acid bath, dipped in molten tin, put on a rack to cool a bit before dipped in an ammonium chloride solution, and thrown into a large shipping box; my job was bringing a rack of hooks from the acid room and dipping the hooks in the solution and throwing them in the box, I also for a couple of weeks worked on helping renovate cabooses and other work), worked for a pipe plant doing chemical analysis of steel samples, oil field supply company (shipped parts, unloaded bulk chemicals from tanker cars to storage tanks, mixing products in a 600 gallon or 1000 gallon mixing tank, using a forklift to move barrels of products, labelling barrels and more).

Did you mean the 39th parallel?
Well we are both wrong....Leamington is on the same latitude as northern California....42nd parallel. I must have just been guessing at the number from the days I lived there.
Point Pelee which is next to Leamington is the farthest south of Canada's mainland and Pelee Island is the farthest south in all of Canada.

Back