St. Anne - grandmother of Jesus?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Today I was in a museum in Newfoundland & part of the exhibit on Spirituality of the early settlers indicated a big reverence for "St. Anne - the Grandmother of Jesus" - often a day when first communion would be celebrated by the Roman Catholic kids.

I have to admit - I've never really thought about Jesus having a grandma. Not sure if dear Anne was on Mary or Joseph's side - but I suppose they both had mothers.

Can anybody tell me anything more about Jesus extended family? Curious.

Interesting pinga - thanks. I have visited Ste. Anne de Beaupre in Quebec - beautiful place; and skiied at nearby Mont Ste. Anne; and my middle name is Anne.

Interesting to read that some folk thought that Anne's conception of Mary was also immaculate. And it is assumed she died during Jesus childhood years - thus few stories include reference. But it is just one of those "hmmm " moments for me - to realize I'd never considered his family beyond Mary & Joseph.

A quote from the link Pinga posted above . . . "St. Anne is patroness of unmarried women, housewives, women in labor, grandmothers, horseback riders, cabinet-makers,[9] and the Mi'kmaq people of Canada."

That's quite a variety of person St. Anne is the patron saint of!

It does make one wonder, doesn't it Beloved, how such patronages get assigned!

Apparently, Carolla, she is the patron saint of much, much more . . . including the country of Canada.

True, part of the scope of knowledge in each space is why I like to stick to Christian faith and then united church of canada stuff.

I don't think that I could ever understand all the ins and outs of other faith groups. Thought of that as I sat confused in a Roman Catholic funeral today.

It does make one wonder, doesn't it Beloved, how such patronages get assigned!

I gleaned this information from one site - "A patron is one who has been assigned by a venerable tradition, orchosen by election, asa special intercessor with God and the proper advocate of a particular locality, and ishonored by clergy and people with a special form of religious observance."

St Anne is very well important to Catholics and other church s that are into the whole Mary mother of god theology.

Remember Jesus is the word made flesh. So the word or the law of Moses was inside the arc of the covenant, which was inside the Jewish Temple. The holiest site to the Jewish Religion. Even today, where the one remaining wall is called the wailing wall.

Just as God gave Moses the law and placed the law inside the arc. God put Jesus inside Mary's womb. Thus Mary is the equivalent to Catholics in importance as the arc of the covenant was to the Jews in the Old Testament .

Now the arc was inside the Temple. So since Mary, was inside Anne womb, Anne becomes the equivalent of the Temple. So as important Is the Temple is in the OLD Testament to Jews, Anne is as important to Catholic's and other Christians. got it?

Think of those Russian Nesting Dolls.

St-Anne-Detroit-199x300.jpg

Last edited:
St Anne is very well important to Catholics and other church s that are into the whole Mary mother of god theology.

St. Anne is only important to the Roman Catholics and other Churches that are into the doctrine of immaculate conception. St. Anne is neither here nor there to Mary being the mother of God which is no less important to Protestants with a middle to high Christology.

If we affirm that Jesus is God in human flesh and the second person of the Trinity (God the Son) then we affirm that Mary is the Mother of God.

Immaculate conception refers to Mary's birth not Jesus' birth. It is the miraculous means by which Mary was conceived in her mother's (Anne's) womb and protected from the infection of original sin.

That is True Rev John, The veneration of Mary is what I was thinking of when referring to Mary the Mother of God theology, ( the belief that Jesus is God, and that Mary is his Mother is a common in all churches.) However Over the centuries, to many Christians, Mary almost becomes a God herself. The immaculate conception was partially promoted as a way to distinguish between Mary and Jesus. (AT one point some people believed that Mary was conceived liked Jesus(

While the immaculate conception is an idea that has existed for over a 1000 year, it only became an official doctrine of the Catholic Church 150 years ago. Anne has been important to Catholic theology long before that.

Orthodox Churches and some Lutherans, and some Anglicans also venerate Mary.

No. However she is mentioned in other books that are as old or older than the the NT. Muslims also she her as a Holy women.

Reactions: Jae
Talking aboot the Wailing wall...didja know that you can watch it LIVE?

just google kotel camera -- it should be the first link

can't wait for a web cam in the Temple on the Mount

or in the UCC holy of holies, The Bay

Last edited:
No. However she is mentioned in other books that are as old or older than the the NT. Muslims also she her as a Holy women.

Jesus - of course - had a grandmother on his mother Mary's side. We are lacking biblical evidence of her name - and the degree of closeness that she enjoyed with her grandchildren - if indeed any at all.

Talking aboot the Wailing wall...didja know that you can watch it LIVE?

just google kotel camera -- it should be the first link

can't wait for a web cam in the Temple on the Mount

or in the UCC holy of holies, The Bay

Actua;;y there is a web cam at the The Bay of Fundy. Where we capture the energy of the tides and convert it to electricity.

http://fundyforce.ca/visit/webcam/

Actua;;y there is a web cam at the The Bay of Fundy. Where we capture the energy of the tides and convert it to electricity.

http://fundyforce.ca/visit/webcam/

That's even more Canadian :3 ty

looking forward to a UCC future filled with flashmob worship spaces, Indigogo & Kickstarter events...bake sales are old skool :3

*looks at webcam* wow, it looks just like our average weather here on Wet Vancouver Island...nice and overcast...feeling nostalgia -- obviously, some part of me remembers when I was last there when I was a mere larva

"Anna, Grandmother of Jesus" - by Claire Heartsong
A channeled book that may or may not have some truth in it. Available on Kindle.

Back