Spring/Summer knitting

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The woman at my local yarn shop says - every new pattern you do should have something in it you haven't done before! Keeps it interesting! Which is true. I'm learning to have several projects on the go - some that is 'mindless' - I can do it in the car, while watching TV etc. And something that requires me concentrate, count, mark stitches, keep the pattern in front of me. So depending on my mood & circumstance I can pick up what suits.

I've generally done that @Carolla All of a sudden I realized I knew a lot of skills without having to look them up. Plus, it was far more interesting.

Nice yarn is a very expensive thing these days. I have a single stock staring at me accusingly, and a skein of beautiful wool that I could start something with if I got finished the damned socks, with the accusing 29 stitches facing me (s.b 30).

Okay I think i've got this magic loop method figured out - but I'm still getting "ladders" - I think it may have something to do with the pattern & loose stitches anyways - at least that's my story & I'm sticking with it! I do find it slow & difficult to slide the stitches back onto the needle - breaks up the rhythm of the knitting. I'll have to try with a different yarn sometime - see how that goes.

I blocked a shawl today - the one with the black yarn in it. And yes - I've concluded that black yarn IS harder to work with - needed really good lighting & my stronger reading glasses. I think my dtr will like it tho! I'll post a photo when it comes off the mat.

Well - this produce bag turned out pretty small - but stretchy. I think we will store garlic in in probably. The second photo has an orange hanging in it. (first one looks like a little sundress!) It said to do a "firm bind off" but I think a stretchy one would give better access to the bag.

I started a second one now - my mate wants one to store his quarters for his poker games! So I did a different cast on to eliminate need for a bottom seam, and I will do a drawstring top. I'm also doing a smaller mesh - smaller needles and just one YO instead of 2. Seems to be working so far.
P1010227_small2.JPG

P1010226_medium2.JPG

That's cool @Carolla

Right now I'm madly trying to finish a couple of shawls I'm donating for a silent auction fundraiser. One is Death By ICords by the Cozy Up Sisters. I can't remember the name of the other one. I suspect I'll be mailing at least one back to GP.....

Woot! It's been a roller coaster morning of knitting repair! Last evening I discovered I'd made an error about 12 or so rows back that caused my pattern repeat to not line up properly. Grrr. I blame Judge Kavanaugh for distracting me!! Anyway, I set it aside & tackled it this morning. How to rip back so many rows - each row is about 160 stitches, and a few YO and decreases, so not something to tink. Had not put in a life-line. Youtube?? Yes! I found a video on how to pick up stitches onto a needle BEFORE ripping back - it took a few tries but I got it done, and just 2 stitches short. I did find those stitiches, marked them & then ripped successfully. Knit everything back in and HOORAY - right number of stitches!! A feeling of success in learning something new. Now to carry on later with better concentration to get the pattern properly established (and I will put in a life line just in case!!) And I will use more markers in the pattern just to be sure I'm on track!!

In exchange for some special cookies for sleeping and pain relief, I received my fixed sock back from baby sister, complete with new markers to make it clear how to use a loop instead of 4 needles. She hopes I can now proceed and has invited me to a knitting class in a village half way between our houses on Thursday mornings.

Said beloved sister, some years ago, decided to buy a house with a guy almost an hour's drive north of here. Since she usually works in B____, it's been a little inconvenient. And the house, unfortunately, a bit of a lemon, so not easy to unload.

It's funny to look back at these photos & posts from two years ago! I guess August knitting still qualifies as "summer" as per the thread title?

These are my gauge swatches for a sweater I am going to attempt - first time knitting an actual garment. It's alpaca & merino yarn - has a nice feel to it & seems to hold the cable well. This is the pattern link - #262 Big Cable Cardigan pattern by SweaterBabe

P1030296 sm.JPG

Carolla- that is a super sweet cable design. I don't think I've seen it before.

My daughter from another province is here visiting family for the first time in a year. Not such a good idea during Covid - but wonderful for family connections. She has been working on her first 'real' knitting project. She made a scarf with dropped stitches throughout when in Junior High but nothing since. She is merrily working on a sweater for herself that is worked from the V neck down.

I passed on a knitting book that I have had for ages, and enjoyed a lot. Jerseys, Guernseys and Arans. Tons of history, designs and their traditional names. I recall seeing fishermen wearing these types of sweaters.

Well my gauge was off a bit - so after consulting with one of my knitting mentors, I knit another half stockinette swatch on a half size up; not a lot better but I will stroll over to my LYS tomorrow to chat with owner Linda. I think it may work out okay, but I also think I will need to buy another skein or two to feel less anxious about having enough yarn. I've used up a little more than half a skein just on the swatches, and after weighing the yarns discovered one skein is a bit 'light' so it will be short on yardage too. I also discovered my 'plastic' flexi sewing tape measure is inaccurate - so it's gone in the trash now! My husband has contributed a steel ruler - that shouldn't stretch!!

Back