Spring/Summer knitting

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BethAnne

Rebellious mystic from Alberta
Phew! FINISHED! Turned out the pattern had a few errors in it - making it even more of a challenge for me to figure out as a newbie sweater knitter. The collar also had short row shaping but in 1:1 ribbing - which made it a bit harder I think - ripped it out a couple of times! But now it's done. Can't celebrate on facebook because my dtr (for whom this is a gift) is there. But wanted to share with my knitting friends here. The proportions look a bit off in the photo because the sweater is intentionally extra long (30" from shoulder to bottom), and sleeves are drop-shoulder design.

View attachment 4404
Well done! Congrats! It's beautiful!

KayTheCurler

Phew! FINISHED! Turned out the pattern had a few errors in it - making it even more of a challenge for me to figure out as a newbie sweater knitter. The collar also had short row shaping but in 1:1 ribbing - which made it a bit harder I think - ripped it out a couple of times! But now it's done. Can't celebrate on facebook because my dtr (for whom this is a gift) is there. But wanted to share with my knitting friends here. The proportions look a bit off in the photo because the sweater is intentionally extra long (30" from shoulder to bottom), and sleeves are drop-shoulder design.

View attachment 4404
Good job! It looks SO cozy!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
So, here's a question, which I could ask my sister, but I'll ask here.

I own a beautiful sweater. It's an Italian Benneton from the 70s/80s that I acquired at an estate sale in the late 90s, probably. The shape is really simple and boxy, but fits me perfectly, and the yarn is amazing, a soft grey wool, with a moving rainbow extra twine (best way I can describe it). It's still good (I don't wash it very often; it's an "over-sweater"), but it won't last forever. What's the best way to duplicate something you love?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Oh gosh - I remember those United Colours of Benneton sweaters! So beautiful - I can see how you would love it. I don't know if it's even possible to duplicate something you love. I suppose an experienced knitter could reproduce it pretty closely - but it would never be exactly the same.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I suspect that the talented sister could create the pattern; she's great that way, and she could of course, duplicate it in the exact shape and density. I think finding a similar yarn might be impossible. I can't describe how cool it is.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
I suspect that the talented sister could create the pattern; she's great that way, and she could of course, duplicate it in the exact shape and density. I think finding a similar yarn might be impossible. I can't describe how cool it is.
Now I'm feelling really curious to see your sweater Bette! Could you consider posting a pic of this treasure :)

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Not a great pic taker, and my camera is crappy. It's a hugely simple shape, but the yarn and the dye pattern are very cool (the rainbow/grey effect is subtle but gorgeous), and it just suits/fits me perfectly, as a sweater "over" a simple light long sleeved undershirt (black or navy merino or organic cotton). It might even be a bit itchy to wear next to your bare skin; never have. And the pic, taken at night, with a crappy camera, doesn't do the colour shading justice. I get a compliment or more ever time I wear it. It's just cosy/elegant/pretty when worn.

Attachments

• sweater.jpg
    sweater.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 4

Carolla

wondering & wandering
That's lovely Bette - the muted colours would look great on you for sure. Funny - somehow I had in my mind a gray sweater - with a rainbow on it somewhere LOL. I can now see how you thought finding the yarn for a replacement sweater would be a big challenge.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I can now see how you thought finding the yarn for a replacement sweater would be a big challenge.

I'd never really replace the yarn, but it's finding just the right weight and dye of a yarn for the pattern. You want the plain boxy shape to accent the pretty dye patterns on a lovely yarn.

Anyway, Cat's got another project on the go right now. Our favorite cuz in England (the canal boat owner) is going to become a granddad for the first time in April. She's going to make a little jacket, she will knit and has a couple of cool patterns, I will pay for the wool. She's on the hunt for that; it's got to be Cat-quality yarn, but washable, and since gender is unknown and we're not very gender-y types anyway, we've agreed on a rainbow dye (and there's a back story about the new granddad to be, and a rainbow coat acquired while with me at a Folk & Boat festival one year, which he is only allowed to wear on the boat).

Carolla

wondering & wandering
On the hunt for yarn ... a familiar story! LOL You might want to check RavensWood Fibre Co. - they are NS based indie yarn dyers and their colours are quite extraordinary. If you look for them on fb or their website - they usually post the photo which has given inspiration for their current yarn colourations - I love that. I've used their fingering weight yarn & it is terrific. OF course most are just handwash ...

I do LOVE knitting for wee ones! The patterns are often interesting, they knit up quickly & don't use much yarn :) I have a 'grandchild by proxy' - ie friend's grandchild - who I've knit a few items for :) and have a few more in mind LOL!

Last edited: