Spring/Summer knitting

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Oh how nice Kay to have your daughter knitting away during her visit. Sounds like you might be a good knitting mentor too! I bet she will treasure your book.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
I took a break from knitting recently to do some sewing. We've lived in this fifth wheel almost two years. I've wanted to change out the fabric in the headboard, the curtains and put new fabric on the valances in the bedroom. I finished the area around the headboard today. I have another simple valance, like the side windows, that I need to finish. 20200811_153543.jpg

Carolla your diligence with your swatch will pay off.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
So - I recently cashed in/sold some old gold jewelery and got a generous amount of $$ - most of which will go to my kids - shhh - they don't know yet :) BUT I did get myself a small treat too. I decided it would be nice to have a tablet so I could run Knit Companion app - so I got one!

Last evening I spent time familiarizing myself with it, and figuring out how to colour code the charts, highlight bits of the pattern etc. It's more difficult on an android I think - which I didn't know until after my purchase - the demos I watched were on an iPad & I missed the bit about features NOT being available on android. But I figured out a 'work around' and am eager to get using it!
P1030358 sm.JPG

And this is the back of the sweater so far. I've decided (after consultation with my LYS mentor) to add another cable repeat to make the sweater longer. Which I'm realizing is easy on the back - but is going to require calsome serious calculating for the fronts & collar bands (it's cardigan). AND I just learned my LYS is closing - which I'm really sad about.

P1030359 sm.JPG

Last edited:

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Very nice Carolla.

I'm sad to hear you LYS is closing. After it closes, if you need a fix, Little Red Mitten in St Thomas is worth a visit.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
@Northwind - she's actually moving to north of Orangeville - so a little over an hour's drive for me. But that's sure different from a 5 minute walk - which includes waiting for a traffic light! She's been in business for 37 years. The guy who owned the building she's presently in on Lakeshore Rd died recently. His siblings are now operating the building - they DOUBLED her rent - so she's closing up. Apparently they didn't notice the other 12 EMPTY storefronts along Lakeshore ... think they can cash in big time. She bought a gorgeous renovated century schoolhouse with a 4,000 sq foot 'workshop'/retail space right behind it - it's beautiful. But we will certainly miss Linda. She's been such a mentor and fixture in our local knitting community.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
That's crazy that they can double the rent like that. I'm sure they'll encounter karma.

Unlike residential rents, commercial rents are only regulated by the market so I am not surprised. But if there's 12 empty storefronts around them, they are going to encounter karma for sure. Sounds like a terrible business decision. They've chased away a good tenant and there's no way anyone is going to pay inflated rents in an area where the market is full of empty space.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
@Northwind - she's actually moving to north of Orangeville - so a little over an hour's drive for me. But that's sure different from a 5 minute walk - which includes waiting for a traffic light! She's been in business for 37 years. The guy who owned the building she's presently in on Lakeshore Rd died recently. His siblings are now operating the building - they DOUBLED her rent - so she's closing up. Apparently they didn't notice the other 12 EMPTY storefronts along Lakeshore ... think they can cash in big time. She bought a gorgeous renovated century schoolhouse with a 4,000 sq foot 'workshop'/retail space right behind it - it's beautiful. But we will certainly miss Linda. She's been such a mentor and fixture in our local knitting community.

This sounds like recipe for finding a B&B close to her new shop and having retreat weekends with her!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Love your sweater Northwind - in a favourite colour! Great pattern - and well knit I think!! And just in time for the cooling fall weather.

So ... I'm finished the back and left front of the cardi I'm working on. So far so good I think! Put in a pocket & learned to do short row shaping.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Progress is being made! Fronts & back done - now to block. I found a great video today & joined her fb group too - great teacher! I learned a lot about blocking! (and OMG - that sweater in the video!!)

Carolla

wondering & wandering
cool cable
Thanks BethAnne! I'm enjoying knitting it. I made a few errors in the cable early on (mixing front/back crosses) - but that just provided me with an opportunity to learn how to correct such goofs! Fortunately I noticed them just a few rows on .... and learned to check often!!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Phew! FINISHED! Turned out the pattern had a few errors in it - making it even more of a challenge for me to figure out as a newbie sweater knitter. The collar also had short row shaping but in 1:1 ribbing - which made it a bit harder I think - ripped it out a couple of times! But now it's done. Can't celebrate on facebook because my dtr (for whom this is a gift) is there. But wanted to share with my knitting friends here. The proportions look a bit off in the photo because the sweater is intentionally extra long (30" from shoulder to bottom), and sleeves are drop-shoulder design.

1606169583328.png