Something's Wrong on the Internet -- and my family is sharing it

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

and once again @Ritafee spreads her conspiracy bulls**t into a thread that was about dealing with people.
I bit by laughing, rather than reporting, but, this is an example of how conspiracy people just saturate everything, and shut down good conversation.
We bite. We argue. Some time to counsel those who are biting, who argue.

Can I respectfully ask people to quit discussing the post that Rita made, and her conspiracy theories, and instead, go back to the conversation of what to do when family bickers.

The golden head is busted and bits fly in all directions ... like Moses' uprisings?

Sun in the desert at the end of dais ... imagine calling it the God SET ... and folk gathered for sustenance ... it is an Egyptian item full of abstract ...

Then the abstract allows the casting of the Shadow of knowing it is just another tail ... as the little folk always get the remaining's ... C'est Fini!

Little heads drop off while mature ones trend towards pseudopigraphica ... images of klaar -ite!

In dreams some deep fears erupt ... disturbing the dark pool! Something for Moa nin to reflect upon ...

So, what do you do.

A family member posts information from a site that is a conspiracy theory, or a Trump-site, or something similair.

you are intrigued by the information.

Do you do nothing, or respond?
I would read the information and make up my own mind on whether it had validity regardless of where the information came from.
I never dismiss anything as conspiracy theory until I have at least looked into the content. I try not to bicker with or belittle anyone on facebook.
If I was intrigued by the information I would do a bit of research to discern whether I was interested in discussing it futher and then If it was a close contact I would private message them to see how invested they were in actually having a conversation or if they just expected me to accept it as them being the authority. Usually I do not comment in Facebook other than the occasional friendly bantering or a like love or sad emoji.

I have my ex-husbands brother and nieces on facebook. They are not particular educated and love to post memes of angels praying for the dead relatives, chain letter type posts ( if you share this with ten others you will be lucky, if not you will be cursed- type, but lately also posts from the AFD -party.
We are not particularly close-I keep contact mainly because I feel sorry for my ex’s mother who hasn’t heard or spoken to him in years and appreciates info twice a year about my son.
The chain letter I keep responding to stop sending such nonsense- it took about ten times to stop it.
The AFD party, Germany’s right wing Nazi connected, anti masker and anti lockdown party which unfortunately has gotten into Parliament and is fairly strong in some areas of Eastern Germany with traditional neo nazi clusters, I have commented a couple of times on it, but eventually just blocked it.
You can’t fix stupid. At least not over social media.

Stupid is a very rigid form in a long MT space ... kind of like de IHCy domain if you know the advocate!

I like to have some contact with family. My four kids are all on FB. One posts 'inspirational' items and info about what her MLM is flogging this time around and selfies. One rarely posts anything. One posts jokes and word play memes. One posts photos of craft ideas and projects, dressmaking info, knitting experiments, wool dying experiments etc.. One in-law occasionally posts a photo. A couple of my grands share stuff with me.

My UK relatives are a mixed bunch too - a few are quite active with photos and write ups about what they've done recently. Mostly friendly and non confrontational. One is a rabid anti vaxer and I don't argue back - he knows my opinion on the topic. One nephew doesn't use FB but we email occasionally.

FB is my vehicle of choice to keep in touch with my son in Oz, some of my favorite relatives in the U.K., my daughter, and my baby sister. I have a lot of "friends", many of them the old guys' music friends, a few game friends, some old forum friends, some former employer friends. If I run across a person who posts silly stuff, I don't "unfriend" them, I just "unfollow" them, in the hopes of avoiding conflict. I will argue if pushed to it, but you generally need to push it, unless I'm in a mood.

So, what do you do.

A family member posts information from a site that is a conspiracy theory, or a Trump-site, or something similair.

you are intrigued by the information.

Do you do nothing, or respond?
I have one cousin, whom I greatly admire and enjoy spending time with.

Every now and then he will share a post that pushes some buttons.

We always try respectful conversation as a way of coming to some mutual understanding and because we have that familial bond we agree that our relationship is more important than some post on the internet.

I have another relative as a result of marrying Kimberly that traffics in quite a bit of innuendo. Again, because it is family there has been respectful discussion and when I can I bring articles supporting my position. There is a respect present in that relationship though it does require some time apart every now and then which is easily accomplished on social media.

And I have two friends from Camp Days who routinely bring forward partisan crap. I've toyed with the idea of un-friending them (honestly I am not the one who sent the friend requests in the first place, they sought me out) but from the read of these threads they don't appear to get another perspective on events or issues.

So why did they seek me out? Is it because they thought I would agree with them no questions asked? I don't think I have many friends who would make that assumption. I may not be a full-blooded contrarian but I am not opposed to disagreement. Neither has yet sought to un-friend me on account of our disagreements. Even if we can't manage respectful we can at the very least keep it civil.

Sometimes it is very much a throw hands in the air and walk away option that wins out over the urge to question or converse.

Last edited:
Back