Service -- What is it?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I was asked by persons in the church about responding to pan handlers on the street. I told them they had two options. They could give or not give a bit of money. I went on to say that the key thing was making eye contact and having respect for the person asking.

I have walked the streets of diverse cities in Canada. Along those walks I have met many hundreds of persons. No matter what their appearance, I see a human being just like me. When opportunity for service arises I respond out of my own memory of being homeless. The many times strangers reached into my life with kindness. Those acts of kindness, over time, inspired and encouraged me.
I remember when we met in Vancouver you offered me bus fare. I am not sure I absolutely needed it or not, and was going to walk, which was several blocks down the street back from where I came on foot. I didn’t ask, I think you just offered it to make things easier. I waited for the next bus, you walked on. Then, when I got off at my stop, and you passed me on foot, I gave you my transfer, which I didn’t need and you could use. It was serendipitous...and i’ve had similar experiences where I could help. I too too like to stop and talk to people, whether I give them some money or have no money to give them.

Last edited:
Can we do better than food banks?

Eliminate the bottled water epidemic.

Visiting the sick gets complicated. Hospitals are into "zero night stays", in part because of serious concerns about MDR. LTC facilities are often under lockdown because of flu outbreaks.

I think we need to condemn the fashion industry, who equates "clothing the naked" with a new wardrobe every year because trousers are a different length or width.

Agreed. Until/unless "welcome" is code for "be like us".
Agreed with everything except if you enjoy it, a new fashionable wardrobe can be put together for free or very cheap with second hand clothes. I advocate for donating items that won’t make people stand out as looking poor, in shambles. I hate the concept of beggars can’t be choosers. It’s so demeaning. They shouldn’t have to beg, and why not be able to choose?

I would like to one day start a non-profit helping low income people living in not the nicest housing environment, decorate with second hand donated items to make their space feel like a nice home...maybe painting volunteers, etc. I’ve done it in my own life, I live it, I know aesthetics of environment helps cheer people up, and I want to help others who would get an emotional boost from it. I just have no idea how i’d start it.

Last edited:
Industriousness ... does it have an antipode on the side of sapience? An essence that appears lacking from this point of opinionated vision!

And at that I enter the beyond ... The Great Alone --- Kristin Hannah! It too is kohl ... yep he went north ...

Is BabushKA a parallel for alas Ka given the word of concern as Anis? It may be a profound code ... then in the land of imagination phtha is another code ... for binding words ... diphthong? It may be duality personified as binary!

Rite ... out of an old book, or Boches Monk!

Last edited:
Can you abstract or imagine anything from the darker's Ide? Consider it obscure and occidental ...

Occipital, or occi podes as the far side of the headman!

Someone nailed it to the bottom in tent ... ammon losing wisdom by muttering indigantions! The emotional distast item as love-hate complex?

It can screw up the flat out ... Jack as jill'doubt! Some say when 'elle freezes over ... the myth reproduces ...

After that the gates all shut up! Possession of nein Muses! Enigmas ...

Last edited:
Walking along some city street I encounter many persons ignored by the general crowd. Over time I begin to gain insight regarding origins of the person's outcast status. Sometimes I share my own story of living homeless till the age of thirty. I suggest that change is possible and encourage a positive attitude. Sometimes this serves well to change the person's imagination of the future. I have heard from persons met long ago, who have found their way off the street and into a viable life. I am glad to have played a small part in that growth.

friend heart.jpg

Agreed with everything except if you enjoy it, a new fashionable wardrobe can be put together for free or very cheap with second hand clothes. I advocate for donating items that won’t make people stand out as looking poor, in shambles. I hate the concept of beggars can’t be choosers. It’s so demeaning. They shouldn’t have to beg, and why not be able to choose?

I would like to one day start a non-profit helping low income people living in not the nicest housing environment, decorate with second hand donated items to make their space feel like a nice home...maybe painting volunteers, etc. I’ve done it in my own life, I live it, I know aesthetics of environment helps cheer people up, and I want to help others who would get an emotional boost from it. I just have no idea how i’d start it.
Anyone want to help me with advice? Please PM me.

These is a Chinese proverb that says "If you want an hour of happiness, take a nap. If you want a happy day, go fishing. If you want a happy year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help others."
Giving is a powerful pathway to personal growth and lasting happiness.

We now know that giving activates the same parts of the brain that are stimulated by food and sex. Experiments have shown that altruism is hardwired to the brain, and it feels nice. Helping others is the secret to living a life that is not only happier but also healthier, wealthier, more productive, and meaningful.

Giving your time is more valuable to the receiver and more satisfying for the giver than the gift of goods. We don’t all have stuff we can give, but we all do have time on our hands, and can give some of this time to help other, even if that means we only give a few hours each day or a few days a year.
However on the converse side giving advice or our opinion, isn't always good. It can be looked upon with disdain. When helping we must refrain from pushing our beliefs or views on the people we are helping. There should never be an agenda.

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity — Leo Tolstoy

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give — Winston Churchill

Giving: it is a give-in, or a grace that we'd rather take stuff from the other ... except for their thoughts ... "thinking" ... mon thats dangerous when religious order tell us stories of the tree of knowledge and its reapings ... thus that was cut down and made subtle as a board of directors!

Service is a life toward God in my view -----our works and our life toward God must be combined --We can say we are doing good deeds because we are called to do it in scripture and be Spiritually dead inside --that is be disconnected from God Spiritually -----when a real servant of Christ does good deeds it is Christ who works in or through the person who directs the good deeds--- for that persons life is a life by faith in Christ -----God directs the good deeds not us and therefore gets the Glory ----

True Faith will be put into action by and through us wanting to Serve Christ ----true Service is us serving Christ -----

Alcoholics Anonymous was begun by two men who realized that they could stay sober by helping other "drunks". It started with two men. Look where it is now. Many have gotten sober on that simple principle of helping another is also helping myself. They have beliefs like "principles before personalities" or "walk the walk". In its ideal form, it is a grassroots form of service where people are stronger by helping each other.

Maybe that is a form of god in action. I like what you said above @unsafe. I would add that god is in those who we help.

Thanks for posting this Northwind -----it sparked my interest into knowing more on the founding of AA ---

I say ---I believe God is tugging on our hearts every day to come to Him ---Many ignore the prompt but some do take note and follow it ----

Interesting article on the founding of AA -----this guy was definitely being prompted by God I believe and he obeyed --this is a perfect example of putting your Faith into right action and reaping the reward of obeying ----

read all here
https://www.verywellmind.com/the-founders-of-alcoholics-anonymous-67383

The Founders of Alcoholics Anonymous
By
Buddy T
Updated on November 24, 2019

A seemingly unplanned meeting in Akron, Ohio in 1935 between the future founders of Alcoholics Anonymous, both of whom were termed "hopeless" alcoholics, began a program of recovery that has helped millions find sobriety and serenity.

Bill W.
Bill W., a stockbroker from New York, was one of those men. In fighting his own battle against drinking, he had already learned that helping other alcoholics was the key to maintaining his own sobriety, the principle that would later become step twelve in the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

He had been sober for about five months had traveled to Akron, Ohio on May 12, 1935, for a shareholders' meeting and proxy fight, which did not turn out his way.

Bill W. Meets Dr. Bob at a Bar
After losing the proxy fight, Bill found himself alone and depressed, according to accounts of the events. He felt drawn to the bar in the Mayflower Hotel where he was staying. Fighting desperately to maintain his sobriety, his immediate reaction was, "I've got to find another alcoholic."

There are conflicting versions of exactly what happened next, but the result was Bill W. ended up a meeting with an Akron surgeon, forever to be remembered simply as "Dr. Bob," who had struggled for years with his own drinking problem.

Dr. Bob Gets Sober
The effect the meeting had on Dr. Bob was immediate and soon he too put down the bottle (June 10, 1935), never to pick it up again. The bond formed between the two men would grow into a movement that would literally affect the lives of millions.

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Experiments have shown that altruism is hardwired to the brain,
But ultimately it is a choice ...
Every one must decide whether they will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You must face the darkness ... but be aware that you should carry a little levite when going there ... if only to stir the Pans!

Is erudition a Pan or a bell ringer of rude quality to the wiles of mon willful singularity? Perhaps a place where intelligence is collected?

A zinger as Zion ...in a dark sky of words that took off ... in myth! How to draw them back ... are word feminine or just fey? They do chatter incipiently! In sipping ... one appears dippy ... while having a word with the Ide at the spring ... Salem or salom? May be a metaphor for a pool that appears different ... parchment soaks up the ink ... a toss off of the lamþ a piedmont!

Tis a gentle slope ... where the grass may grow ... taking roots! Chloe? Taken sometimes as demeter ... or that drumming out of time ... tallus can be found there as a source of bones and phosphate ... the meat of the story? The condor got that ... during the Dei ...

Life's enigma; what's if for? Is there a reason? Go figure ... some form may come out of Ide ... smoke, ashes, aches and all the rest!

Alexander Hamilton; "there is reason but few are reasonable!" Such is the nature of irrationality that immortal creatures must pass through ... meditating on dippy ... pay attention to the strangers ... you could gather something (panoply) ... nothing tuit but immaterialism to be licked?

Relax idle pass ... light without mass or volume ... dark stuff! Kinda abstract ...

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

But ultimately it is a choice ...
Of course it is. but one that can bring joy to both parties.
Every one must decide whether they will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mr King was referring to the religious there. And that speaks volumes.

When helping we must refrain from pushing our beliefs or views on the people we are helping. There should never be an agenda
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have an agenda.......

I found this a most appealing and pleasing post -loved the Chinese proverb!

My agenda? Encouraging you to post more posts like this one -that are thoughtful and encouraging. (I don't mind that you're an atheist, but your posts anti-religion are too abrasive for me to think that you don't have an agenda. As such, ironically, I find them all too easy to dismiss.)

Which raises the question, is it really possible not to have an agenda?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have an agenda.......

I found this a most appealing and pleasing post -loved the Chinese proverb!

My agenda? Encouraging you to post more posts like this one -that are thoughtful and encouraging. (I don't mind that you're an atheist, but your posts anti-religion are too abrasive for me to think that you don't have an agenda. As such, ironically, I find them all too easy to dismiss.)

Which raises the question, is it really possible not to have an agenda?
Well if you can call getting pleasure from giving an agenda, then I would have to agree. But personally I don't see it that way. I just think that is a happenstance of the process.
The business I do, I do for personal gain so that has an agenda. However that helps the other indulgences I do with my earnings. Giving my time and money is a financial lose to me but that is of no never mind, because I gain so much more from doing it.

As for my other posts admittedly I can come across as abrasive. but there is no real agenda there. I'm not trying to convert anyone I just don't understand how any reasonable person could believe in fairy tales. Especially when those fairy tales cause harm to so many. It's a quandary?

One must read into the myth ... as there is depth to it for the simply superficial!

To some the relating of simple to partisan is subtle ... to still yet others ... the essence of what's behind or underneath the abstract ... well, just isn't so!

Thus one cannot demonstrate bullying and compassion to those on topside ... like the con on submarine items ... or the foot of the clammed up ... hardshell approach?

Thus some speak of many things as it is time ... some are consumed and some are consuming ... cutting costs so as to make someone rich while the bird crashes!

Play mys TAIS form EI ... it might be a worthwhile essence from the abstract side! Thus the ugly psyche lady doing fantasies ... that unspoken expression in a world of hate?

You didn't notice? What would we do without a world of hate? Let it rest as left over side ... the ups and downs of the sol as mono type ... thus the poor fellow is swept away ...

Next page ... is a yeman ... a horse person ... vision from myths! Ha' varsed! Observed one way ... you might not want to know ... face it!

Back