Royal Wedding: Gifts And Costs

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

Reaction score
As a Canadian taxpayer, that's a reasonable question Lastpointe. Seriously.
Have been doing some searching online for the figure but have yet to find it. It's likely to be somewhere around $100,000. One hundred thousand dollars. Meanwhile, there are hungry, homeless people throughout our own nation.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Have been doing some searching online for the figure but have yet to find it. It's likely to be somewhere around $100,000. One hundred thousand dollars. Meanwhile, there are hungry, homeless people throughout our own nation.
You are wrong - it was half of that.
Putting you back on ignore - any opportunity to troll - not matter the time of day, or event - you find a way to rob it of joy.

Jae

Reaction score
You are wrong - it was half of that.
Putting you back on ignore - any opportunity to troll - not matter the time of day, or event - you find a way to rob it of joy.
Fifty thousand dollars then. Would still feed a whole lot of people Carolla.

revsdd

Reaction score
It was $50000 to JumpStart - a Canadian charity (run by Canadian Tire) that works to make sports and play accessible to disadvantaged and disabled children.

As a member of Canada's working poor, I would have thought you'd approve of that.

Statement from the Prime Minister on the Royal Wedding

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Fifty thousand dollars then. Would still feed a whole lot of people Carolla.
So would the money wasted on fancy coffees, non nutritious foods, houses with personal swimming pools, big gas guzzling cars, holidays far from home and unnecessary plane trips. We all spend money - we just don't all agree on the wisdom used to decide on the budget!

Jae

Reaction score
It was $50000 to JumpStart - a Canadian charity (run by Canadian Tire) that works to make sports and play accessible to disadvantaged and disabled children.

As a member of Canada's working poor, I would have thought you'd approve of that.

Statement from the Prime Minister on the Royal Wedding
Since this is a cause worth supporting, why wait til the wedding of a particular couple to give It? Also, what makes this particular charity more wothy of receiving the funds than any other?

Canadian taxpayers will have to pay for other things as well - fees to send dignitaries and such to England. Monies which imho should have been better spent at home.

Jae

Reaction score
So would the money wasted on fancy coffees, non nutritious foods, houses with personal swimming pools, big gas guzzling cars, holidays far from home and unnecessary plane trips. We all spend money - we just don't all agree on the wisdom used to decide on the budget!
The difference is that the items you mention at the top of this post of yours are items on personal budgets.

Jae

Reaction score
Talk concerning wedding gifts is part of talk concerning a wedding.

:coffee:

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Yes talk about gifts is part of the wedding

So the couple asked that gifts be donations to charities. That is a great gesture, one that perhaps more couples will choose to do. I find now , with couples often living together for years, they have everything they need

Canada, as one of the biggest commonwealth countries, would be giving a gift

I suspect a committee tried to pick a Canadian charity that the couple support. We know Harry is into sports for disabled vets, so sports for underprivileged kids falls in line with that.

As to 50,000? That is a token gift

You sanctimony about money really tires everyone. Time to ignore you again

revsdd

Reaction score
Since this is a cause worth supporting, why wait til the wedding of a particular couple to give It?
Two points:
(1) Because the couple asked for charitable donations as a wedding gift.
(2) Since JumpStart is a registered charity in Canada, the Canadian government has been supporting it generously since it began through tax deductions.

Jae said:
Also, what makes this particular charity more wothy of receiving the funds than any other?
Decisions sometimes have to be made.

Jae said:
Canadian taxpayers will have to pay for other things as well - fees to send dignitaries and such to England. Monies which imho should have been better spent at home.
As I understand it, Harry and Meghan asked that their wedding not be a "state occasion" and that political guests not be invited. Even the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom wasn't invited. One of the most noteworthy things I saw as I watched the coverage was the lack of a political presence. So likely there were no Canadian dignitaries who went to England for the wedding. Only Canadian members of the wedding party or Canadian guests who would have paid their own way.

Last edited:

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
It is very common and likely protocol for countries to give wedding gifts to royal couples and likely other prominent couples. This is a nice gift in this case because it is useful and is meaningful to the couple. I imagine they already have lots of pretty things and china.

revsdd

Reaction score
Ka-ching!
Ka-ching!
Ka-ching!
Ka-ching!

A look at the costs foisted on British taxpayers: Royal wedding expected to cost $55.5 million: Bridebook
Which is an issue for British taxpayers, not Canadian. One has to also estimate the revenue generated by the Royal Wedding for a fair cost analysis. Studies I've seen suggest that in tourism alone far more money comes into the UK because of the royals than gets paid out because of them.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
Which is an issue for British taxpayers, not Canadian. One has to also estimate the revenue generated by the Royal Wedding for a fair cost analysis. Studies I've seen suggest that in tourism alone far more money comes into the UK because of the royals than gets paid out because of them.
The business owners I saw interviewed this morning sure seemed pretty pleased with all the crowds and business they were getting.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I think I heard an estimate of $132million generated from tourism, merchandise etc. as a result of the wedding.