Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
He may not have lasted long as PM, but John Turner was a very influential figure in Canadian politics from the sixties through to the nineties. He held various cabinet portfolios under Trudeau, Sr., including Justice and Finance. In the latter role, he was the last finance minister to run a surplus before 20 years of deficits. In the justice portfolio, he saw the end of most of our blue laws (save anal sex having a higher age of consent than other sex acts, which it took until Trudeau, Jr. to finally fix). He also has quite a colourful history including, apparently, a relationship with Princess Margaret (yes, the Queen's sister). 91 definitely qualifies as a "good age" to pass on. Rest in Peace, Mr. Turner.

Besides his political career, Turner was a sprinter who once held the Canadian record in the 100 yard dash and qualified for the Olympics in 1948 only to injure his knee in a car accident. After studying at UBC, Turner studied law at Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship and almost did a doctorate at the Sorbonne in France, but returned to Canada to practice law instead. He ran for the Liberal leadership twice, coming second to Pierre Trudeau the first time, winning the second, becoming Trudeau's successor as both Liberal leader and PM.

Here's the obit that mentions Princess Margaret.

He was, by the way, born in England and moved to Canada at three years old after his father died.

And it is said that he was pre Trump on the call for isolationism in trade and walls, barriers and other fence details ... as previously posted in CBC NU's ... evil?

Whenever I think of John Turner, I think of my great-aunt. I stayed with her in Toronto over the summer of 1984. We watched the campaign proceedings, including the debates. I can still hear her say she had never been so disappointed in a man as she had been with him. He was no verbal/debate match for Mulroney.

Back