Restructuring results

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

jimkenney12

Reaction score
I am curious about the observed results of restructuring. Two years ago clusters and networks were being promoted as alternatives for presbyteries and divisions. Covid-19 resulted in some clusters forming in Eastern Ontario Outaouais Region, but I see little evidence of networks. As I currently serve an independent congregation and supervise a UCC congregation in a nearby city, I have limited knowledge about what is actually happening here and elsewhere.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Consider it a breakup ... the work of chain gangs! No freedom for alternate phoques ...

GO3838

Reaction score
I myself and my community of faith have both found the regional structure better.
Like you, Jim, I'm at EOORC, and since the restructuring of 2018, I've been to 4 face-to-face regional events, which is more than I ever went to before.

There were some regional events I was looking forward to (like the UCW gathering in Cornwall this July) that were cancelled due to the pandemic.

And some events that went online (like Affirm Conference.)

I would say that my community of faith and my region have accomplished more than anyone would have thought possible by Zoom.

Before the restructuring of 2018, meeting times were an issue. Many of the presbytery meetings and church meetings were all on weekdays during the day.
I work full time, so weekday meetings weren't possible for me. Yet whenever there were discussions about perhaps having a Saturday meeting, or a weeknight meeting, others were quick to say that they didn't want to drive at night, so meetings all tended to stay on weekdays, inaccessible to employed people like me, as well as youth who were in school. Meeting online would be suggested, and then quickly dismissed.

But now we know that we can accomplish amazing things through online meetings. My hope going forward is that regions and communities of faith will have meetings at a variety of times (perhaps a weekday one month and a Saturday the next month) to be as inclusive as possible, and perhaps combine a face-to-face meeting with Zoom, so those who can't drive there can Zoom in and participate that way.

jimkenney12

Reaction score
One of my issues with the United Church is the tendency to focus on the needs and desires of the people making decisions instead of the needs of those whom the decision makers claim they want to involve.