Racist/Islamophobic attack in London, Ontario

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
I heard this morning that 4 pedestrians had been killed when a driver drove into them. The police are now reporting it was a deliberate attack and the driver is facing 4 charges of 1st degree murder. Sounds like he killed four members of the same Muslim family, with only one child surviving.

While I want to see this a**hole rot in the hellhole that is EMDC for the rest of his mortal existence, I also want to know who he had contact with and what rhetoric he might have read online or elsewhere that encouraged it. Freedom of speech is meaningless if it is not accompanied by taking responsibility for what you say and the consequences thereof and I am betting that someone besides the killer has some responsibility here.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
It sounds like he may have known the family too - not directly said, seems implied though. How one could get to know a family, even just briefly and then do something like that is way beyond my comprehension.

JayneWonders

@ChemGal -- where are you getting that he knew the family? I haven't seen that or heard it. Curious about your source.

The news does say that the family was targetted, but, the information that I heard was because the women were clearly muslim due to their clothing.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
@ChemGal -- where are you getting that he knew the family? I haven't seen that or heard it. Curious about your source.

The news does say that the family was targetted, but, the information that I heard was because the women were clearly muslim due to their clothing.
From the CBC story I linked, "There is no known previous connection between the suspect and the victims." But keep in mind that it has been updated multiple times throughout the day so it may have suggested otherwise at some point.

The intersection where it happened has become a memorial:

And bestselling London-based writer and speaker Najwa Zebian, a Lebanese-Canadian Muslim, has talked a bit about the family. Apparent her niece goes to school with one of the children.

And somewhat more worrisome, Dale Carruthers of the Free Press is reporting that the police are keep watch at London Mosque on Oxford, a complex containing a large mosque and a Muslim private school. No word that there have actually been any threats so hopefully just precautionary.

ChemGal

One with keen eye

The wording. Targeted due to faith seems to be more personal than just targeted due to being Muslim. It was worded that way in a few sources. Haven't seen that wording used before when people have been targeted on appearance alone.

JayneWonders

It has been very clear in the news releases and the interviews that it was due to their appearance. No indication that he knew them.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
From the CBC story I linked, "There is no known previous connection between the suspect and the victims." But keep in mind that it has been updated multiple times throughout the day so it may have suggested otherwise at some point.

The intersection where it happened has become a memorial:

And bestselling London-based writer and speaker Najwa Zebian, a Lebanese-Canadian Muslim, has talked a bit about the family. Apparent her niece goes to school with one of the children.

And somewhat more worrisome, Dale Carruthers of the Free Press is reporting that the police are keep watch at London Mosque on Oxford, a complex containing a large mosque and a Muslim private school. No word that there have actually been any threats so hopefully just precautionary.
Huh, wonder why the chosen wording then.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
It has been very clear in the news releases and the interviews that it was due to their appearance. No indication that he knew them.
Ok, I'm definitely slower on getting what news is available than what those in ON seem to be posting.

JayneWonders

I watch CBC News Network. This channel would be available to you in Alberta or Northwind n BC if you subscribe to it.

There is no special news" that i am watching that would not be available nationally.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act and that the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith," Det.-Insp. Paul Waight

Seemed to imply a certain level of knowing them to me.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I watch CBC News Network. This channel would be available to you in Alberta or Northwind n BC if you subscribe to it.

There is no special news" that i am watching that would not be available nationally.
Not saying that. Dinner, work, etc. leads to delays though.
Earlier today I had read the news, did a bit of work and popped in here for a bit.

JayneWonders

It was interesting that the anchor was the newest addition to cbc news network, who is a hijab wearing Muslim woman.

It allowed for very sensitive interviews of Muslim spokespersons.

I felt bad for the anchor who was on when the news was breaking that it was a hate crime. He was visibly shaken.

Waterfall

While I want to see this a**hole rot in the hellhole that is EMDC for the rest of his mortal existence, I also want to know who he had contact with and what rhetoric he might have read online or elsewhere that encouraged it. Freedom of speech is meaningless if it is not accompanied by taking responsibility for what you say and the consequences thereof and I am betting that someone besides the killer has some responsibility here.
I was thinking the same thing when I heard about this.

My heart goes out to those in the Muslim community.....you are part of Canada always.

JayneWonders

Planned premeditated -he had body Armour
Secondly, if I want to kill folks of a certain identification with a truck, I would know what areas of a city that I was most like to spot them. The fellow in Toronto targeted women. Not women he knew

I get you read it a certain way.
Can we move on?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Planned premeditated -he had body Armour
Secondly, if I want to kill folks of a certain identification with a truck, I would know what areas of a city that I was most like to spot them. The fellow in Toronto targeted women. Not women he knew

I get you read it a certain way.
Can we move on?
You asked me about it I responded. At the time the articles hadn't mentioned the body amour, I saw that later. I had looked at a few articles and I guess with the quote, faith/Muslim faith/Islamic faith all seemed to be common. It's a more personalized level ie. seems to be moreso thoughts than just an outward presentation.

Maybe a shift in how language is being used too? Ie. Less of a label of who the person (or in this case a family of 5 people) is by labelling them on religion only and just an aspect of who they are. Or I'm totally picking up on a tone that's just a fluke.

Waterfall

You asked me about it I responded. At the time the articles hadn't mentioned the body amour, I saw that later. I had looked at a few articles and I guess with the quote, faith/Muslim faith/Islamic faith all seemed to be common. It's a more personalized level ie. seems to be moreso thoughts than just an outward presentation.

Maybe a shift in how language is being used too? Ie. Less of a label of who the person (or in this case a family of 5 people) is by labelling them on religion only and just an aspect of who they are. Or I'm totally picking up on a tone that's just a fluke.
Yeah, I guess we don't announce they were run over by an Anglican or an atheist.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Such a horrible event for the younger child to live through. My thoughts honestly focus on that 9 year old, now without their family.

@Mendalla - Are the anti-Islamic factions out in public in other ways in the city - eg are there demonstrations, newspapers etc that you are aware of? Or did this seem quite surprising?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
@Mendalla - Are the anti-Islamic factions out in public in other ways in the city - eg are there demonstrations, newspapers etc that you are aware of? Or did this seem quite surprising?
We have had the odd extreme right demonstration, but it is not a regular occurrence by any means. And some incidents of vandalism. Nothing that led me to expect this, though.

JayneWonders

There will always be those filled with hate amidst us.

Thankful that this is all he did and sad that he was able to cause this much loss.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
It is so disturbing. I also partly wonder about this young man's mental health, in perpetrating such an action. I had heard it reported he has no prior police contact. So it makes we wonder about psychosis & delusions - 20 is often the age when some psychotic disorders begin to make themselves outwardly evident. But I suppose I need to trust that the police have ruled out such issues and are not just rushing to hate crime charges. I feel a need to be patient in allowing others to do their work.