Quirky facts we've learned

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
So today, I found out that "Reverend" take precedence over "Sir" (i.e. a knighthood), similar to how it takes precedence over "Doctor" (e.g. Rev. Dr. Bob Such-and-such). I was listening to a podcast about the work of the late John Polkinghorne, a British physicist who later became a priest and theologian in the Church of England and this was mentioned by the guest after the host referred to him as "Sir" John Polkinghorne (Polkinghorne was knighted in 1997).

So if you were to address John Polkinghorne by title, you would refer to him as Rev. Polkinghorne, or Rev. Sir John Polkinghorne, not just Sir John Polkinghorne.

What quirky little trivial facts have you learned of late?

Now, I didn't know that was an actual rule, however, on our church sign, which is accurate, in that [other] people care about naming conventions, our rev is designated the Rev. Dr. Susan E, because she has a doctorate, honorary. And I didn't conclude that it would supercede a knighthood as well. Hmmmm.

Now, I didn't know that was an actual rule, however, on our church sign, which is accurate, in that [other] people care about naming conventions, our rev is designated the Rev. Dr. Susan E, because she has a doctorate, honorary. And I didn't conclude that it would supercede a knighthood as well. Hmmmm.

Thus the sense of darkness slides into the situation as ... emotional intellect creeps onto the physical realm. Once the autonomous learns sufficiently ... duly sate 'nd ... it makes conclusions! Those that didn't wish to know the answer will be pieved ... þi Eve 'd as a beef!

I love Manatees. In Florida near us, there is a canal they gather in during the winter. The gulf gets too cold, so they all move into this canal that is where warm water from the power plant is released. You don’t see them there in the summer, when the gulf is warm but in January you can see tons. You can also see them in smaller inland canals, that are warmer than the gulf and in the rivers.

So today, I found out that "Reverend" take precedence over "Sir" (i.e. a knighthood), similar to how it takes precedence over "Doctor" (e.g. Rev. Dr. Bob Such-and-such).

I thought of this when I saw an interview with Raphael Warnock this morning. So, would he be the Reverend Senator Dr Warnock? Or the Reverend Dr Senator Warnock? Or?

We were on a boat one day and three surfaced right beside us. They were huge. Full grown are big like elephants. They just seem smaller because they are in the water. If you ever get to Ft Myers in January the place to find them is the power plant canal. No you can rent kayaks to be even closer

So today, I found out that "Reverend" take precedence over "Sir" (i.e. a knighthood), similar to how it takes precedence over "Doctor" (e.g. Rev. Dr. Bob Such-and-such). I was listening to a podcast about the work of the late John Polkinghorne, a British physicist who later became a priest and theologian in the Church of England and this was mentioned by the guest after the host referred to him as "Sir" John Polkinghorne (Polkinghorne was knighted in 1997).

So if you were to address John Polkinghorne by title, you would refer to him as Rev. Polkinghorne, or Rev. Sir John Polkinghorne, not just Sir John Polkinghorne.

What quirky little trivial facts have you learned of late?
Technically it would be the Reverend Dr not Reverend Dr or the Reverend not Reverend.

Also a matter of technicality, if you are referring to a honorary doctorate the proper abbreviation is Dr. hc.

An honorary doctorate is an honour not a doctorate. Even though it is conferred by a university it is rarely accompanied by a testamur which is recognized proof of completion of academic requisites.

It is all in what's labelled ... not necessarily what's there in virtue! Sort of like reputation against advertising ...

Interestingly enough, so is Justin Trudeau. It's why his so carefully measured speaking style.

Interestingly enough, so is Justin Trudeau. It's why his so carefully measured speaking style.
Neat :3

Yeah speech therapy i took is we essentially learned how to speak again lol
Speaking very very very slowly until qe mastered the techniques then slowly going faster and faster
When i left i found out just how slow my speech was when a good friendz mom wondered if i was on drugs lol

The US Space Force is still a thing

And here I thought it was doubleplusungood because it came 2 being under 45's reign?

(Good thing he never mentioned how good oxygen is...imagine the deaths lol)

The US Space Force is still a thing

And here I thought it was doubleplusungood because it came 2 being under 45's reign?

(Good thing he never mentioned how good oxygen is...imagine the deaths lol)
Apparently, even in his days in Congress, Biden was a supporter of taking space away from the Air Force and creating a separate command for it, or so I heard somewhere during the election campaign. So folks knowledgeable about space actually expected it to continue past Trump.

Realistically, it is probably a big enough area of operation now and is different enough from air operations to justify it. The problem was more Trump's bombastic approach, with the name "Space Force" and the vaguely Trek-ish logo generating a lot of the derision. Well, and the fact that it justifies pouring more cash into the money sink that is the Pentagon.

There is a belief that domain is spatial and connected to concepts of mine ... a deep item!

From down there a point of focus almost like a pearl vision!

The recently invented concept of social distancing comes from the paper Targeted Social Distancing Designs for Pandemic Influenza.

One of its authors is the computer modeller's teenage daughter who was concerned aboot "cooties" and who tried to figure out how to combat them at school using a computer model.

Amazing how things happen :3

Back