Perimenopause Sucks

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

That sounds like a tough day for you. I am sort of surprised that the therapist was so insistent. Deciding to get a wheel chair is a huge step and not one you decide to do on a whim.

I would be wanting to slap your mom if she were mine. It’s a tough situation and one she only makes harder

Next time she/they hassle you suggest their problems would be solved by buying you a one bedroom condo

Why so long for the funding? I would guess they work the same as orthotics when it comes to insurance, and that can take longer than prescriptions, but I've never had it take that long.

Getting a wheelchair does sound like a big step. I can see what the person means about choosing to use one at times, but it would be nice if more businesses had courtesy carts, and if some of them were of better quality - some are quite good.
It’s not private insurance. It’s special funding.

Last edited:
That sounds like a tough day for you. I am sort of surprised that the therapist was so insistent. Deciding to get a wheel chair is a huge step and not one you decide to do on a whim.

I would be wanting to slap your mom if she were mine. It’s a tough situation and one she only makes harder

Next time she/they hassle you suggest their problems would be solved by buying you a one bedroom condo
No. They wouldn’t even help with my rent for a couple of months after my husband left me, nor did they come over to help me out to find a place and stay there while things were crumbling. I didn’t want to leave Vancouver. I came back kicking and screaming, mostly inside. Because I knew I was being reeled in and there was a huge risk of regression and her being a horrible control freak until I was crying “Ma-ma!” - but I had nowhere to go and I needed familiarity, just not this kind of familiarity. It was my mother’s insistance that I go back and stay with them when my ex left. I made some pretty solid attempts at starting my own life here. I did have my own place briefly, I have a job ( was doing ok, was optimistic then about finding something before my lease ran out...then I broke my kneecap.) i have a few “fairweather friends” but I’ve been here ever since I broke my knee feeling more and more stuck, and demeaned.

She has a thing about never ever should one be giving an adult child money. An adult child no matter what should pull themselves up by the bootstraps (which means to her do whatever - apply for disability, apply for government subsides (they live by the illusion that the government’s social programs are a cake walk - so stay out of their hair - never ask her for money). So, I had nowhere to go and now I give them money for rent.

Last edited:
Why so long for the funding? I would guess they work the same as orthotics when it comes to insurance, and that can take longer than prescriptions, but I've never had it take that long.

Getting a wheelchair does sound like a big step. I can see what the person means about choosing to use one at times, but it would be nice if more businesses had courtesy carts, and if some of them were of better quality - some are quite good.
She brought up scooters but said she thinks a wheelchair could be better, easier to maneuver and fit in smaller spaces.

No. They wouldn’t even help with my rent for a couple of months after my husband left me, nor did they come over to help me out to find a place and stay there while things were crumbling. I didn’t want to leave Vancouver. I came back kicking and screaming, mostly inside. Because I knew I was being reeled in and there was a huge risk of regression and her being a horrible control freak until I was crying “Ma-ma!” - but I had nowhere to go and I needed familiarity, just not this kind of familiarity. It was my mother’s insistance that I go back and stay with them when my ex left. I made some pretty solid attempts at starting my own life here. I did have my own place briefly, I have a job ( was doing ok, was optimistic then about finding something before my lease ran out...then I broke my kneecap.) i have a few “fairweather friends” but I’ve been here ever since I broke my knee feeling more and more stuck, and demeaned.

She has a thing about never ever should one be giving an adult child money. An adult child no matter what should pull themselves up by the bootstraps (which means to her do whatever - apply for disability, apply for government subsides (they live by the illusion that the government’s social programs are a cake walk - so stay out of their hair - never ask her for money). So, I had nowhere to go and now I give them money for rent.

Sounds like a candidate for mother of the year!

Seriously. Next time they attack, tell them to buy you a condo and you will leave them alone forever. Personally if I was mad enough I would even say “CP happens at birth. It’s not my fault. It’s yours”. But that is my mean side coming out and I likely would never say it

Sounds like a candidate for mother of the year!

Seriously. Next time they attack, tell them to buy you a condo and you will leave them alone forever. Personally if I was mad enough I would even say “CP happens at birth. It’s not my fault. It’s yours”. But that is my mean side coming out and I likely would never say it
Mommy Dearest

That is true; and wheelchair seating can be customized so a person is more comfortable when seated.
Am I going to be one of those people who gets looked at sideways because one day somebody saw me in a wheelchair, and another day, walking with an assistive device? Because I want to keep walking until i’m As old as I can but I want to get around more easily. I don’t drive, walking to the bus can be a fall risk with different variables depending on the day. People can be pretty ignorant. ...the main thing the OT was concerned about was the fall risk. I broke my knee, and have had plenty of other falls where I was fortunate not to break anything.

Do they have Wheel trans where you live?
We have something called handi dart but it’s only good if you don’t have to be anywhere right on time and don’t need to come back on time. I’ve heard from people that it needs several improvements. Zipping to the bus on a motorized something or other, would definitely give me more independence to get around.

Am I going to be one of those people who gets looked at sideways because one day somebody saw me in a wheelchair, and another day, walking with an assistive device? Because I want to keep walking until i’m As old as I can but I want to get around more easily. I don’t drive, walking to the bus can be a fall risk with different variables depending on the day. People can be pretty ignorant. ...the main thing the OT was concerned about was the fall risk. I broke my knee, and have had plenty of other falls where I was fortunate not to break anything.
I got funny looks when I used a courtesy scooter at Walmart - I had to be out of the house for something or else I would have been resting on the couch, decided not to waste being dressed and already driving - and stood up to get things off the shelf. Ummm clearly it's not my own, if I was totally incapable of walking I probably wouldn't be borrowing one.

I got funny looks when I used a courtesy scooter at Walmart - I had to be out of the house for something or else I would have been resting on the couch, decided not to waste being dressed and already driving - and stood up to get things off the shelf. Ummm clearly it's not my own, if I was totally incapable of walking I probably wouldn't be borrowing one.
When my knee was broken and I had the splint on, I went, several times, to Canadian Tire, just to get out of the house. So I'd catch a ride to the mall that has Canadian Tire, or I borrowed the mall's standard wheelchair and pushed the wheels - that was fun. Good excerise but when a person gets used to it, it's just daily life. I also borrowed the scooter at a different mall one day and almost got stuck in the elevator! Bad driving (I don't drive a car, so I didn't have the knack) - I wedged myself in and couldn't turn around enough to either back out or drive forward. Another woman in her own scooter, waiting for the elevator, coached me out of there! :) it was weird getting up again and walking away with my walker.

In Canadian Tire I almost backed into a person - one has to be careful. They're not cars but you could definitely knock somebody down pretty hard if not careful!

I can see, after using a non electric wheelchair, that an electric one would be easier than a scooter or a manual wheelchair (especially). I had a coworker with a racing style manual chair and she was fast with it! She was fit and only in her 20s. She could go several downtown blocks, get her lunch, pay her bills, and make it back from a half hour break on time!

:)

Would an electric wheelchair help you to get onto a list for accessible housing? Here, a SW could write you a letter to go with your housing application. Its still a wait, but it works.

Would an electric wheelchair help you to get onto a list for accessible housing? Here, a SW could write you a letter to go with your housing application. Its still a wait, but it works.
In short, no. It doesn't work that way. I qualified for provincial disability supports already. I'm on housing lists. They have years long waits. It just limits what housing is available to me because it will need to be wheelchair not just walker accessible - whereas, without it (lifting my walker in and out holding onto a railing or using a wall for support) I can handle a couple of steps. With an electric wheelchair, I won't be able to have any steps to the door whatsoever - so that takes a lot of other options out.

I think I might've hit the end of Fertility Road. I've had phantom PMS symptoms, then nothing coming after them, a couple of times. Does it ever just stop? The symptoms and the periods?

Can't remember if it was my mom or someone else (or both) who said they still get hot flashes and night sweats many years later. I've checked for fever everytime - it's never fever, but feels similar. I've been getting that for a couple of years. Those, in a hot room, along with muscle spasms, really sucks.

My mother had hot flashes into her 80s

On the other hand, my radiation treatments put the end to mine very quickly

This is sadly funny ... prostaglandins cause irritations (in a spectrum). What agents can cause this inflammation is greatly in question but ever present arrays of epinephrine is a curiosity that is unanswered.

Some heart conditions are hormonally connected and connected to sweats (night and other) yet getting an authority in the protocol form to admit to something alien and astral is like an icon (semite)!

I am male yet have experienced these funny symptoms due to inadequate applications of pharma (far mah) duh ... Me too! I don;t know ... but find it worth questioning counter to the blind route ... like why is there a silent "p" in symptoms? Perhaps renal of me the psssst'd one ... whispering winds ...

Back