Perimenopause Sucks

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I just want to clarify that I was in traction due to surgeries when I was 2. That was necessary - but I don't think kid's hospitals were as cheery and friendly as they (some of them) are now, and standards of care may not have been the same.

My post reads, today, almost like I am blaming the nurse for putting me in traction. No...the flashbacks are about being left there in traction, and a very unfriendly nurse who tended to me, and feeling afraid. Nurse Ratchet working on the kids' ward.

:(

Last edited:
So much has changed in hospital care. And it is definitely for the better. While I was a regular kid with regular health issues I vividly remember being four and getting my tonsils out. Not sure if it was Sick Kids in Toronto or just some hospital. But I remember being mortified at being placed in a big crib, and that no one let me out of bed to go to the bathroom. So I wet the Bed. And thand nurse yelled at me. And my parents we not allow to stay

I r member them coming to pick me up and being so upset. And the nurse complaining to my mom that a big girl of four shouldn’t wet the bed

So much has changed in hospital care. And it is definitely for the better. While I was a regular kid with regular health issues I vividly remember being four and getting my tonsils out. Not sure if it was Sick Kids in Toronto or just some hospital. But I remember being mortified at being placed in a big crib, and that no one let me out of bed to go to the bathroom. So I wet the Bed. And thand nurse yelled at me. And my parents we not allow to stay

I r member them coming to pick me up and being so upset. And the nurse complaining to my mom that a big girl of four shouldn’t wet the bed
Maybe not all that much. Chemguy not being able to come up to the surgery prep room with me (when there were others), not being believed coming out of surgery about an HAE attack, so it was made worse, food not meeting medical needs, they didn't want me to use the bathroom but I said I would just end up with a UTI if they just left me with a bedpan in a multigender room, so they gave me permission but that took time.

Why were parents not allowed to stay if they wanted to? I’m glad that has changed...at least the impression I get from others is that it has changed quite a bit.

I spent a long time in hospital for the surgeries. Several weeks anyway. Obviously I was too little to remember much (but I do remember vague things even that far back), and I don’t know how much of that nurse memory is a constructed one. I know it’s probably silly to make anything of it now as an adult, but it was involuntary. All I can say is, my mind flashed back to hospitals and doctors at the time - a jumble of different memories from two different hospitals - and it brought up unpleasant thoughts and feelings to physically be in one of the exact same places all these years later. I had distant memories of it now and then, but I never expected to set foot in there again, and I didn’t expect it to be the same building. ...it had been miserable to have these things done, I remember nobody really talking to “me” just moving me around and poking and pulling at me...necessary as they may have been - maybe it was painful or uncomfortable but what do you do or say about it when you’re as young as 2 and alone? I probably just cried and that nurse was probably fed up. I remember my parents visiting once (we lived in Chilliwack during that time, maybe a year, before moving back to Vancouver Island, and so they didn’t come to Vancouver to visit that often. Maybe one afternoon a week on the weekend. Parents didn’t really hang around for support back then.) I remember being with my parents having popsicles at a picnic table outside, then they had to go...and a dark room and a nasty nurse. I also spent time at home in a complete lower body cast, for however long...I was told I was pretty sad and listless during that time, and it wasn’t a very happy time for anybody. Memories are fuzzy. I remember my dad making me a new cast (he has training) in the basement because it had to be changed. None of that was fun.

None of this is really necessary to talk about, either. I just needed to vent yesterday.

Last edited:
Anyway... it was a successful visit in that I will be fitted for some things that I tried on samples of...that are actually pretty discreet under clothes and inside shoes.

Sounds like a challenging visit for you Kimmio - and I'm so glad to read about new 'things' coming your way as a result. Hoping this will make your mobility a bit easier for you. I hope you'll keep us posted - no doubt there will be an adjustment period - so don't decide too soon if the new stuff is helpful or not! I always remember Richard Bott telling us years ago that he had a "6 week rule" in his churches - when new stuff was introduced, nobody could comment - positive OR negative - about it until 6 week was up - then they would all talk about the experience. I've always thought that was so wise.

Anyway - I too was in hospital for a while - not quite yet a year old apparently - eventual diagnosis of celiac disease. I don't remember any of it of course, but I do remember my mom commenting that my parents were specifically told NOT to visit - just to telephone - because visits were "too upsetting". She said she used to come & kind of hide out, peeking around the corner to see how I was ... must have been so difficult for her. And then I recall getting my tonsils out at age 7 - horrible nursing nuns and uniformed nurses, a bed behind the door in a huge ward room, and a penicillin needle that looked as big as my arm!! I was so glad to get out of there. I don't remember my folks visiting then either, now that I think of it. Probably still under prohibition. So yes - times have certainly changed in hospital care when you look at how things go today!!

Count to tens rule ... it is Mosaic ... and gives time to stop and reconsider the chief bull being fed as canon ... but this cannot be stated straight out as a rule for supporting myth and keeping things from folk that don;t wish to know anything ... inclusive of nothing, nowhere and nobodies ... if you know a body ... use caution coming through the rye form ... tran*science?

In some African sense it may be similar to jumping the broom! Thus they're gone over the Moa 'n ...

Hilarious. Just checking the date I last posted here. June 20th. It’s pretty timely, actually, that I feel like crap today and have been extra stressed for a few. But I had no cramps or headache until last night - and I got my Aunt Flo visit this morning - no noticeable bloating, breast soreness. At least that’s good.

:)

Last edited:
Hilarious. Just checking the date I last posted here. June 20th. It’s pretty timely, actually, that I feel like crap today and have been extra stressed for a few. But I had no cramps or headache until last night - and I got my Aunt Flo visit this morning - no noticeable bloating, breast soreness. At least that’s good.

:)

:giggle: hope you feel more comfortable soon !

Orthopedic hash ... don't tell me ... let us take a stroll through it as my muscles fail me due to mysterious insubstantial manna of mortals ...

Failure of smooth tissue cells?

Thus I slide ...

Sisyphus recycles and reclaims ... thus the fertility goes round ... amino's Ides ... perhaps nitrosamines!

These can be foundational to DNA and internalized information system that eats up the emotional bodies ... causing willies ...

Pure alchemi of the chiral nature ... there is some displeasure of looking intuit! Raises chuckles among shaytan's weals ... surries with fringes?

Don't get intuit or it'll reproduce ... mysteriously in the dark space ... unseen? Sects of unknown disposition ... you never know where it'll strike.

Snakee, or EllE ... thus de rill ... BA states that the pucker is out ... KISS Prin!

Last edited:
It was both good and awful. Good because I saw yet another person who assessed my foot and ankle flex and made another appointment for casting, to make the AFOs (foot braces that go inside shoes and feel like I’m walking in ski boots). They will give stability. It might take up to 3 months for funding to go through.

Awful was that I saw another OT or something like that who was really pushing me to consider a motorized wheelchair instead of an upright walker like I’d talked to the doctor about. She said I will probably need it in 5 years and I am just putting it off, and she thinks that’s holding me back. I was resistant. She kept pushing. I have another appointment with her to test drive some motorized wheelchairs and see what I think. She said I can walk when I choose and use it when I choose, it’s all up to how I feel about it.

Of course, when I told my mom about this she blamed me for not being as fit as I used to be. I tried to tell her that this is typical of people in their 40s who have CP who have been mobile...but because she knows someone at the place they vacation at every summer who handles her circumstances better than I do...that it’s my fault. I can’t impress upon her that I’m out of shape because my mobility slowed down, which was accelerated by the broken knee. My mobility didn’t originally start to slow down because I was out of shape. It started to slow down because I have walked with an irregular gate and posture all my life and that caught up. I have muscle and joint issues that seniors get even though i’m still much younger. She sees the wheelchair possibility as a decline. The therapist/ OT sees it as an advancement, as moving forward not staying stuck and being exhausted and in more pain. But it’s not like they’ll build me a ramp. I will have to move out before I get it, if I get it, regardless.

And now i’m going to rest for a couple of hours and go out later when the rain stops. And stay well out of my mom’s way. She doesn’t listen and she told me straight out that she doesn’t want to listen. So...okay. I’m just not going to speak to her. I have no emotional support, really.

Last edited:
It was both good and awful. Good because I saw yet another person who assessed my foot and ankle flex and made another appointment for casting, to make the AFOs (foot braces that go inside shoes and feel like I’m walking in ski boots). They will give stability. It might take up to 3 months for funding to go through.

Awful was that I saw another OT or something like that who was really pushing me to consider a motorized wheelchair instead of an upright walker like I’d talked to the doctor about. She said I will probably need it in 5 years and I am just putting it off, and she thinks that’s holding me back. I was resistant. She kept pushing. I have another appointment with her to test drive some motorized wheelchairs and see what I think. She said I can walk when I choose and use it when I choose, it’s all up to how I feel about it.

Of course, when I told my mom about this she blamed me for not being as fit as I used to be. I tried to tell her that this is typical of people in their 40s who have CP who have been mobile...but because she knows someone at the place they vacation at every summer who handles her circumstances better than I do...that it’s my fault. I can’t impress upon her that I’m out of shape because my mobility slowed down, which was accelerated by the broken knee. My mobility didn’t originally start to slow down because I was out of shape. It started to slow down because I have walked with an irregular gate and posture all my life and that caught up. I have muscle and joint issues that seniors get even though i’m still much younger. She sees the wheelchair possibility as a decline. The therapist/ OT sees it as an advancement, as moving forward not staying stuck and being exhausted and in more pain. But it’s not like they’ll build me a ramp. I will have to move out before I get it, if I get it, regardless.

And now i’m going to rest for a couple of hours and go out later when the rain stops. And stay well out of my mom’s way. She doesn’t listen and she told me straight out that she doesn’t want to listen. So...okay. I’m just not going to speak to her. I have no emotional support, really.

Why so long for the funding? I would guess they work the same as orthotics when it comes to insurance, and that can take longer than prescriptions, but I've never had it take that long.

Getting a wheelchair does sound like a big step. I can see what the person means about choosing to use one at times, but it would be nice if more businesses had courtesy carts, and if some of them were of better quality - some are quite good.

Back